LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner of 93 LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 11:49 PM
Lex93fan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 93 LS

Hey guys I just bought home my 93 LS400 today.It took me forever and a day but I finally found an LS 1st gen with black interior.To make things even better it was pretty well kept up with....until a couple years ago.The owner,who drives an LS460 now,stopped driving it and left it sitting with only 106k miles on the odometer.Today was the 1st time the car had been started up in 3 years!

I already ordered a new owners manual off ebay for $17 bucks.In the meantime I was gonna ask if someone could tell me were all the fuse boxes are? I found 1 in the engine bay but I didn't wanna start pulling off panels randomly trying to find the others.My mirrors dont adjust so I know that's probably out.

Of course the whole dash is out so im gonna take it off tomorrow to get it rebuilt by 1 of the ebay guys doing the service.

Another problem is the gas door doesn't open.Has this happened to anyone else? Im gonna check the cable when I get some time.

Im gonna sea foam next time I fill up.The car thankfully only had about half a gallon of gas.Just enough to make it home before it died a couple of houses down from mine.lol.Yup 3 year old gas that was prob like 60 octane by now.I wanted to pump new gas but like I said,I couldn't get the door open.

Anything else I should take a look at since its been sitting so long? Once I get my cluster back I was gonna get it inspected,aligned & oil change.I plan on going thin with some 10w30 to free up the lifters.Thinking I should change the oil every 1k miles too just to get things moving right again.

Aside from that the car is pretty nice.Im pretty happy so far.
Old 12-30-09, 12:11 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome, after a few items to be taken care of, the car will last u a while.

coulda got a free owners manual from lexus.com..

theres a fuse box underneath the steering wheel. by the driverside kickpanel.

the whole dash is out? u mean the instrument cluster? it costs <$5 bucks for you to fix...u just need soldering skills.

theres a cable for the gas tank in the trunk on the little medaid box on the right side.

im going to guess that the car has an original timing belt so i would change that also along with the other timing belt components.
Old 12-30-09, 10:47 AM
Lex93fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
welcome, after a few items to be taken care of, the car will last u a while.

coulda got a free owners manual from lexus.com..

theres a fuse box underneath the steering wheel. by the driverside kickpanel.

the whole dash is out? u mean the instrument cluster? it costs <$5 bucks for you to fix...u just need soldering skills.

theres a cable for the gas tank in the trunk on the little medaid box on the right side.

im going to guess that the car has an original timing belt so i would change that also along with the other timing belt components.
Oh dam I didnt know you could get the owners manual for free.I bought this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I will check out those fuse boxes in a bit.

Oh and yes I mean the cluster not the whole dash.Im gonna read up on the $5 solution now,thanks.

About the gas door,dam! I guess there is something wrong with my button by the trunk one inside.The trunk opens fine but not the gas.It opened right up with the trunk gas release though.I wouldn't have ever guessed it was there.

Gonna get a new timing belt soon.Im ready to drive this thing.Is there an online fuse layout diagram by any chance?
Old 12-30-09, 11:51 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex93fan
Is there an online fuse layout diagram by any chance?
There should be an explanation of the fuse functions on the inside of the fuse box covers. There may also be info about the fuses in the owners manual. Register in the Owners section of Lexus.com and you can view your owners manual online.

The Chilton website has lots of information about the LS400 including electrical circuits -- I log on to the Chilton website through my local public library's website. Maybe your local library has something similar.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-30-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-30-09, 12:03 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL.
Old 12-30-09, 01:24 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did u pick it up for any pix?
Old 12-30-09, 03:15 PM
Lex93fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
There should be an explanation of the fuse functions on the inside of the fuse box covers. There may also be info about the fuses in the owners manual. Register in the Owners section of Lexus.com and you can view your owners manual online.
I will look into that later today.My internet keeps going in and out.DSL go figure.I finished taking out the cluster a while ago.Now gonna look for the DIY fix mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Garage7RP
Welcome to CL.
Thanks

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
how much did u pick it up for any pix?
Got it cheap if you ask me.It was on Craigslist for $2,500 but I told the guy $2,200 and he took it.I haven't took any pics but here is the original ad.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1524535728.html
Old 01-05-10, 08:03 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

i looked at that same exact car lol. I thought it looked pretty nice but being in hou i didnt feel like driving all way down to check it out lol.
Old 01-05-10, 08:46 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

nice find on the low milage black on black, those are pretty hard 2 come by, welcome 2 cl
Old 01-05-10, 03:12 PM
Lex93fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
i looked at that same exact car lol. I thought it looked pretty nice but being in hou i didnt feel like driving all way down to check it out lol.
I was actually looking for a small trunk but when I searched Lexus on craigslist for the hell of it and saw "black interior LS" <--- I looked like that.I couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
nice find on the low milage black on black, those are pretty hard 2 come by, welcome 2 cl
Thanks! Mods will be coming in once income tax gets here.I just got the basic maintenance for now.Its been chilly so I haven't been able to condition the leather.Before I have used the suns heat to soak in the leather conditioner and soften it up.
Old 01-05-10, 04:23 PM
93ls40082
Driver School Candidate

hi.. i too bought a 93 ls400 on jan 1st from CL!!!!! hi 5!!! this car is such a legacy!!!
Old 01-06-10, 12:15 AM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go, CList will end soon, preserve the pic.

Nice find, enjoy.

Old 01-06-10, 02:08 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Get some GM top engine cleaner and pour a couple ounces through each spark plug hole, and let it soak overnight; then crank it up the next morning. It will help free up the rings, which have surely gotten stuck after sitting so long.
Old 01-06-10, 11:27 AM
Lex93fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jrezo
Here you go, CList will end soon, preserve the pic.

Nice find, enjoy.

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/Jrezo/Lex93fanride.jpg[IMG]
I will take some new ones up too once I get it all wrapped up over here.Im gonna save the 1 you posted for my timeline.

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Get some GM top engine cleaner and pour a couple ounces through each spark plug hole, and let it soak overnight; then crank it up the next morning. It will help free up the rings, which have surely gotten stuck after sitting so long.
Will do that,thanks.
Old 01-06-10, 12:33 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex93fan
Got it cheap if you ask me.It was on Craigslist for $2,500 but I told the guy $2,200 and he took it.I haven't took any pics but here is the original ad.
Originally Posted by Jrezo
nice find. gotta say i'm a little jealous you got such a great deal local.

Quick Reply: New owner of 93 LS