LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can I get aftermarket heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 07:59 PM
chippern73
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get aftermarket heated seats?

I have a '93 L400 with everything but heat seats.

Can you get aftermarket heated seats? I am assuming that you can, but I cannot find anything on the web or in anyother thread. I also assume if they are available that they will be costly.

My little bottom is cold in the morning!

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 12-29-09, 09:09 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link to a company that sells them. They also sell on ebay and sometimes their prices posted there are less. I don't know of anyone whose used their product.

http://www.leatherseats.com/section.asp?sid=7
Old 12-29-09, 09:14 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd try a junk yard. I have no idea how the wiring works on heated seats, but perhaps if you had the time and found an LS in a yard with heated seats your could pull the necessary parts, drill out the spots for the buttons and have it look and perform stock. Just a theory, but I bet it could be done.
Old 12-29-09, 10:03 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with GoodRevs....All of the necessary wiring must be in the car already. I don't think that Toyota would have made different wiring harnesses for the cars without the heated seats. I think that you would need to get the heating elements that go underneath the leather and the switches on the center console as well as all of the necessary trim pieces that go with the switches. The modification should be relatively plug and play with a little patience and the use of the shop manual.
Good luck!
Old 12-30-09, 06:48 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think aside from the stock heated seat and switch, you might need the relay and fuse for it too. Other than that, the wiring should already there. I would buy a set of heated seats too if there is any salvaged LS in my town.
Old 12-30-09, 07:25 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

My 1990 LS400 didn't have heated seats and there was no wiring in the car for them.

Heated seats were not a stand-alone option on the 1993 LS400. They came in a package with Traction Control which required the all-season tire option. If your car didn't come with TRAC, there isn't going to be any wiring for it either.
Old 12-30-09, 08:47 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Hmmm, my '93 came without Traction control, and it wasn't supposed to have heated seats, but when I removed the ashtray to install new stereo, I found one blue connector behind...I looked at the manual and this was for heated seats...
After, I measured to see if there is voltage in the connector, and there is...

Figured out (once again thanks to the manual) how the heated seats work, and took a paper clip, connected pin one and pin three, and my seat heated up...after that connected pin three and pin five, and another seat heated up...

So it is there definitely, but someone changed the ashtray so there is no buttons for it...

As you see, I'm in South Africa so even strong winters here are 20C+ (68F +) so I never bothered to get new ashtray

Anyways...

Last edited by Twix; 12-30-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 10:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
Hmmm, my '93 came without Traction control, and it wasn't supposed to have heated seats, but when I removed the ashtray to install new stereo, I found one blue connector behind...I looked at the manual and this was for heated seats...
After, I measured to see if there is voltage in the connector, and there is...

Figured out (once again thanks to the manual) how the heated seats work, and took a paper clip, connected pin one and pin three, and my seat heated up...after that connected pin three and pin five, and another seat heated up...

So it is there definitely, but someone changed the ashtray so there is no buttons for it...

As you see, I'm in South Africa so even strong winters here are 20C+ (68F +) so I never bothered to get new ashtray

Anyways...
With all due respect, I suspect that what you found on your right hand drive South African spec 94 LS400 may not be relevant to a left hand drive U.S. spec car.

The are vast differences between the LHD gen 1 LS400s sold in different markets and even more differences between LHD and RHD LS400s.

But by all means, chippern73, pull your wood console tray and ashtray and check for a seat heater switch connector -- should take you about 60 seconds to do it.
Old 12-30-09, 10:24 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

What a nice find that would be!
Old 12-30-09, 10:45 AM
3UZFTE

If you check with a few after market sunroof, audio, and upholstery places like that, they will actually install heating elements into the seats. I had a friend that had them installed on his 01' Maxima with cloth for like less than $500 including switches, elements, install, etc. However you could find an ashtray with the heated seat switches and just wire some after market elements up to the factory switch. If you have some friends that are in the business it would be far less, it definitely pays to know people.
Old 12-30-09, 04:17 PM
chippern73
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll review the details on the Leather Seats dot com and find out if my local uphostery place can install them.

In February when my federal refund check comes I'll be looking for a '93 - '95 Lexus430. Hopefully in black.

Happy New Year to all.

Chuck
Old 12-30-09, 06:42 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

"In February I'll be looking for a '93 - '95 Lexus430. Hopefully in black."

If you find one of these, please post pictures here, everyone will be very interested in seeing it since it would have to be a prototype. Lexus didn't start production of the 430 until October 2000!

Last edited by JimsGX; 12-30-09 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-31-09, 05:40 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
With all due respect, I suspect that what you found on your right hand drive South African spec '94 LS400 may not be relevant to a left hand drive U.S. spec car.

The are vast differences between the LHD gen 1 LS400s sold in different markets and even more differences between LHD and RHD LS400s.

But by all means, chippern73, pull your wood console tray and ashtray and check for a seat heater switch connector -- should take you about 60 seconds to do it.
Hmmm...there is no 94 LS400 South African spec, as it wasn't made for this market in those years...Lexus cars came here only '96...

I imported mine from Australia, so it is Australian model...

The connector is blue in color, and as funny as it sounds LHD - RHD, almost all parts are the same (I buy parts for my LS on eBay US)...

There is really not so many differences except that the steering wheel here is on the crazy side (I'm from Europe, living in South Africa for four years now...barely gotten used of driving here as I've driven LHD (normal cars) for 10 years )...

Anyways, like you said, he can find out in minutes if he has the connector or not...like I said, it's blue and has 5 holes (like a 5 pin connector)...

Edit:
One more thing I remembered seeing in one car show on TV (Top Gear or something), only thing that was purely for USA market is Air Ride (my car doesn't have it)...
Majority of other markets came out with normal struts only...

P.S.
Lexus - Luxury Export United States (Toyota had to make something "different" for US market, as Merc and BMW were ruling in those days)...
LS 400 - Luxury Sedan 4 Liter

Last edited by Twix; 12-31-09 at 05:50 AM.