LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

And the pulleys go squeak, squeak, squeak...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 11:22 AM
xdubber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And the pulleys go squeak, squeak, squeak...

So, I've just developed a squeaking problem when the car runs and it's coming from the pulleys. It doesn't sound like it's only one pulley, and I know for sure one of them is the tensioner (did some troubleshooting with some oil, which silenced it, but not for very long).

Edit: Well, after reading some threads about the tensioner pulley, I've decided to just get a new one and new belt, since the car has about 151,000 miles on it and has been running off of that pulley it's entire life. It'll definitely make me feel better knowing the entire part is reliable.

Now that that's out, any DIYs for replacing it?

The car is a 1997 LS400

Thanks!

Last edited by xdubber; 12-21-09 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 01:37 PM
camthman
Driver School Candidate

You might just want to try a new belt first. You can pretty much tell if the tensior is bad by spinning the pulley itself and listen to it. Shouldnt hear anything really.

Then the tensioner itself. Get a wrench on there and see how smoothly it goes back and forth. Sometimes tensioner tend to work themselfs into one spot. Hopefully its not notchy feeling.

IF money isnt a problem, then heck yeah change it out.
Old 12-21-09, 09:50 PM
xdubber
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Well, I did order the tensioner as well as a new belt from oemlexusparts.com, but I'll definitely try doing what you've said first by turning the pulleys themselves first. If it is bad, then at least I'll know what it feels like and how to tell.
Old 12-22-09, 09:28 AM
camthman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xdubber
Thanks! Well, I did order the tensioner as well as a new belt from oemlexusparts.com, but I'll definitely try doing what you've said first by turning the pulleys themselves first. If it is bad, then at least I'll know what it feels like and how to tell.
sounds good.
Old 12-25-09, 07:47 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

If you hear it at all pulleys then your belt is slipping. Change the belt only and you should be all set. I wouldn't change the tensioner, I would just lubricate it and move it back and forth a few times and it will keep good tension on the belt.
Plus, when you buy the tensioner, it doesn't come with the pulley. It's an additional part. That's alot of $$$$ to just throw in there if you don't need it. I think just the belt will do it for you. Try that first.
Old 01-14-10, 02:30 PM
xdubber
Driver School Candidate

Just an update -

I've replaced the tensioner and the belt, and everything is quiet again.

Before I removed the tensioner, I gave it a spin, and it sounded like there was debris in the bearing, and it made a metal on metal rubbing sound. I ended up just replacing it (which by the way was a learning experience!). Overall job, since it was my first time took a little under 3 hours. It took me a while to figure out that the alternator and tensioner shared the same bolt and the Alternator had to be moved out of the way to slide the tensioner out. Once I figured that out, it was a breeze, but would recommend making as much room in the front of the car as possible the next time. I did it without removing anything else (radiator/bumper/etc.etc..). I did remove the intake and the duct for extra space to move around.

Now, I can move on to the more pressing issue, the power steering high pressure host replacement.

Any DIY's how-tos for that? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-15-10, 06:20 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Glad to hear it's fixed and you did it by yourself. 3 hrs aint bad for your first time, you saved over $100. The more you learn about the car, the more $$$$$ you save. Labor charges are outragious nowadays. Sometimes it's good to take things off to make more room, BUT, you take the chance of breaking something else along the way. Then you would have to spend more $$$ to fix that. So don't remove anything that doesn't have to be removed to fix the original problem. The power steering hose shouldn't be a problem for you. Just remember the PS fluid will leak out when you take it off so have a pan or something to catch it and, you WILL get dirty. Also, the copper washer things work as a gasket so replace those. Good luck with that.
Old 01-15-10, 09:09 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xdubber
Now, I can move on to the more pressing issue, the power steering high pressure host replacement.
Not sure about your area, but I can get a new hose remade in under 2 hours over here in CA. You just bring your old one to a rebuilder who makes it.