LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

wire speaker/power cables from front to rear????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 05:18 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wire speaker/power cables from front to rear????

hey i finally got my audio system in the mail (nice Dyn Audio speakers) with all the wiring but am having trouble getting the wire through the cabin. i managed to get through the firewall and into the trunk but i cant figure out how to wire it from the firewall to the trunk and from the doors to the trunk???? Should i wire through the top paneling or through the side panels (which have a million hidden clips that are like nasty little fish hooks). Any help on how to take apart either of these paneling would be of great help so i can start listening to my new system!

i credit retrodrive for all great info thus far....if anyone else is looking to install a audio sys in their LS400 his website is awesome for it! Full of pictures and step-by-step instruction.
http://www.cureline.net/lex/
Old 05-10-02, 01:26 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the supprt

Anyway, remove the front doorstep completely and unclip the part of the rear one. Also take out the side molding below the safety belt. There is enough space there to fit any wires you want. Carpet is thick so you will not have a weird bump from the wire on your carpet. Make sure you separate RCA cables and power cables.
Old 05-10-02, 06:53 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can take out the carpet and run it straight down the middle like I did.
Old 05-10-02, 01:55 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

thanks a lot.....i pulled the side molding off and can run the wire through there.......and out of curiosity would any of you have a suggestion when drilling through the trunk or firewall???
Old 05-11-02, 12:34 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Man, I don't like running wires through the center. They are more nosible and I like power and RCA cables to be separated as far as possible from each other (just a fetish).

Kenji, I did not touch my firewal. It is too nice to mess with it. I pulled my power under my car into the cabin. There is a gromit in front of the drivers seat ready to get used by a 1 GA cable. The trunk has 2 stock gromits. One on each side of the rear deck. You can use that for speaker cables. The power/RCA will go directly through the metal behind the rear seat. You need to remove lids (they are held by something like tar) that are at the same level as your gas tank is. Basically once they are off, the cable get right trough the openings into the trunk. Make sure you put something on sharp metal parts to protect your cables.
Old 05-13-02, 07:23 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by retrodrive
Man, I don't like running wires through the center. They are more nosible and I like power and RCA cables to be separated as far as possible from each other (just a fetish).

Kenji, I did not touch my firewal. It is too nice to mess with it. I pulled my power under my car into the cabin. There is a gromit in front of the drivers seat ready to get used by a 1 GA cable. The trunk has 2 stock gromits. One on each side of the rear deck. You can use that for speaker cables. The power/RCA will go directly through the metal behind the rear seat. You need to remove lids (they are held by something like tar) that are at the same level as your gas tank is. Basically once they are off, the cable get right trough the openings into the trunk. Make sure you put something on sharp metal parts to protect your cables.
Not when you run the RCA on one side and the power on the other.
You got that big bump in the middle of the car that seperates them naturally.
Also, the high end RCA cables now a days are so well insulated that it really doesn't matter any more.
Old 05-13-02, 12:03 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Separating wires is just an old time fetish...not necessary any more but still I will never get used to it.

As far as the bump in the middle, my friend had this little problem. If you are able to hide them, it makes no difference. I need to put up a howto on this thing.
Old 05-14-02, 03:52 AM
LS4me
Driver School Candidate

Kizoku, how did you get a wire thru the firewall??
Gene
Old 05-14-02, 06:52 AM
Kizoku
Rookie

gene, well originally i marked a spot on the drivers side to drill through and had a really nice grommet for it but since retrodrive sugested the stock-grommet in front of the drivers seat i'll just use that......its already drilled and is pretty close to the engine bay so "work smarter not harder."
Old 05-14-02, 07:31 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you definitely do not want to drill through the fire wall.