LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Nakamichi Audio cuts out when bass is supposed to sound? Help?

Old 12-09-09, 05:49 PM
98CLEAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi Audio cuts out when bass is supposed to sound? Help?

1998 LS400.. all of a sudden, my sound started cutting out when the sub is supposed to be sounding.. I turned treb + mid all the way up, and bass all the way down.. I can listen to music like this because the sub isn't even being used.. Once you turn it up to the point the 8 inch sub in the back is supposed to sound, it cuts. Anyone had this problem? Any quick fix?

Is my amp blown? Is a fuse blown somewhere? Is my sub blown?
Old 12-09-09, 07:29 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your amp is going, I had the same problem until I got an extra amp just for the bass and of course a box with a 12" sub.
Old 12-09-09, 07:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

uhh, only time my car ever did that was when the battery was pretty much completely dead.
Old 12-14-09, 07:13 AM
98CLEAN
Driver School Candidate

anyone else have suggestions? anyone know of amps that interface with nakamichi so I don't have to replace my cd player and the whole 9 yards to fix this problem?
Old 12-14-09, 01:05 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CLEAN
anyone else have suggestions? anyone know of amps that interface with nakamichi so I don't have to replace my cd player and the whole 9 yards to fix this problem?
First make absolutely sure that the amp is the problem. When the right channel of the Nak in my 00 LS started having low volume and then died, everyone said it was a bad amp. I tested my amp in a friends 99 LS and found that my amp was fine ... it was the head unit that was the problem. Probably the only reason I was able to get my Nak head unit fixed was that only resoldering was needed. The largest Lexus car radio repair in the U.S. no longer repairs Nakamichi due to there being no replacement parts.

No replacement Nakamichi components are available through Lexus dealers -- I checked again just last week. I was told that Lexus is required to supply replacement parts for seven years and that they would provide no assistance. Doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy" about a company (Toyota) in which I own stock and I sure hate to think about going with an aftermarket radio if my Nak dies again -- I'll probably dump the car.

If you can figure out which component is causing the problem, there is eBay for headunits and amps. If it is the sub, you can probably find a non-Nak sub that will work.
Old 12-14-09, 01:35 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CLEAN
You could grab the low-level signal output of the factory Nakamichi stereo and run a nice aftermarket amp with it. Did you want to replace the speakers and stock sub as well or just the amp? If you have no plans to replace the speakers, a stock amp it the easiest replacement solution if that is the issue.

If you go aftermarket it will sound the best to replace the sub and speakers as well, you could still keep the factory stereo if you wanted.

Last edited by Scotty; 12-14-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 05:27 PM
mark98ls40
Rookie

So, with the 98 LS Nakamichi, can you just replace the head unit with and aftermarket to power the door speakers or are there amps in between the head unit & door speakers?
Old 12-27-09, 11:50 PM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark98ls40
So, with the 98 LS Nakamichi, can you just replace the head unit with and aftermarket to power the door speakers or are there amps in between the head unit & door speakers?
The usual setup in your generation LS is a low-level head unit, which delivers about the same as the low-level outputs on ordinary aftermarket head units.
On the LS there are two amplifiers, one under the passenger seat to power the door speakers and one in the boot, beside the subwoofer to power that sub.
Getting new OEM is either impossible or crazy expensive, so upgrading the system with all aftermarket is usually the best option.

//Björn
Old 12-28-09, 07:07 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edtbjon
The usual setup in your generation LS is a low-level head unit, which delivers about the same as the low-level outputs on ordinary aftermarket head units.
On the LS there are two amplifiers, one under the passenger seat to power the door speakers and one in the boot, beside the subwoofer to power that sub.
Getting new OEM is either impossible or crazy expensive, so upgrading the system with all aftermarket is usually the best option.

//Björn
What boot are u talking about, I never seen any thing of the sort. As far as I know there is only one amp underneath the front passenger seat.
Old 12-28-09, 07:41 AM
mark98ls40
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I was hoping a Pioneer head unit would work without new wiring, speakers, etc. but it doesn't seem like that would work.
Old 01-04-10, 03:08 PM
rburg
Driver School Candidate

Default Sub cutting out

Had the same issue with my 95 ls400. Replaced the battery (and alternator) and problem solved!
Old 01-12-12, 08:46 AM
lahi671
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kansas
First make absolutely sure that the amp is the problem. When the right channel of the Nak in my 00 LS started having low volume and then died, everyone said it was a bad amp. I tested my amp in a friends 99 LS and found that my amp was fine ... it was the head unit that was the problem. Probably the only reason I was able to get my Nak head unit fixed was that only resoldering was needed. The largest Lexus car radio repair in the U.S. no longer repairs Nakamichi due to there being no replacement parts..
My 99 LS is doing the same thing. The passenger side speakers are low sometimes. Do you remember what wire you had to re-solder to get it back to normal?
Old 01-15-12, 09:27 PM
lahi671
Driver School Candidate

The hell with it! I will buy a aftermarket one.
Old 01-16-12, 04:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by lahi671
My 99 LS is doing the same thing. The passenger side speakers are low sometimes. Do you remember what wire you had to re-solder to get it back to normal?
I didn't fix it myself. Car Stereo Repair in Florida ( http://carstereohelp.com/ ) resoldered the wires at the head unit balance control to restore the right side channel of the Nakamichi in my 2000 LS400. But that doesn't necessarily mean that yours has the same problem.
Old 01-23-12, 10:09 AM
lahi671
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I am just going to buy an aftermarket one. It's time for an upgrade!