LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Experience with 1992 LS400 I purchased

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 09:06 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Experience with 1992 LS400 I purchased

I searched on craigslist for an LS400 and I found a gem in Vancouver Wa.
Since I live in El Paso tx, I had to drive it back some 1800 miles. Here is a report.

The car itself was in unbelievably good condition. One ding on the door. Small wear on the front seats on the edges and a little blistering in the center arm rest. Had 143,000 miles and all the maintenance was up to date. Car looks almost like new.

Since I never owned a Lexus before ( I have a 1995 avalon, a 2007 camry, a 2000 4 runner and a 99 camry) Here are my impressions of the car.

The negative

Needs more power but the power is smooth and impressiver for a 4 liter engine.

Seats are a bit hard but they are supportive so my back did not hurt in through the entire trip

The use of the space is not all that efficient (less rear leg room than my avalon)

The arm rest on the door is too low therefore it interferes with my knee and when I rest my arm it is too low (so I rest my arm on the window sill but that is too high) It should be about 2 " higher and they should have angled the area with the buttons up to add additional knee room

The visors do not have extenders or slide, therefore if the sun is to the side it can not be adjusted to block the sun (unbelievable that they did not have this on a car like this my Dad's 80's S10 has a better system)

I have the Nkamichi stereo with 6 cd changer in the trunk. I think the bass could be louder and they should have had a seperate control for the subwoofer. That said for a factory stereo its pretty good and I bet I lost some of my hearing during this trip. Also when you have the stereo on CD the lights for the cd controls are below the buttons and the buttons themselves do not light up ( they should have had seperate lights (since in radio mode they light up 12345 for the radio presets) for the buttons in this mode or left the numbers lit up)

Car feels a little heavy.

The good

Car is extremely quiet

Engine is smooth as silk and when the RPMS get above 4000 it has some power (equivalent to todays V sixes)

I like the memory system for the seats, steering wheel, mirrors but they should have added the radio station preprogramming also ( in case your wife likes different stations)

The shocks could use a little more rebound damping ( although compared to a cadillac it is way less floaty and I may need to change my struts )

Moon roof is very big I really like the size of the opening

I like the looks of the car very clean

Car is unbelievably tight for having so many miles. Feels almost new except for the steering.

The steering had to much free play but since I figured it needed a new rack I added Lucas power steering fix and within 80 miles the steering felt like new. I never add this kind of stuff to my cars but I figured what is there to lose and it actually works.

My driving experience on the trip

Car is definitely a Highway cruiser. Once I added the lucas steering fix the car drove like a dream. Tracked straight and I hardly got tired. I kept it within 5 mph of the speed limit because I did not want to get a ticket.

My average gas mileages for the entire trip was 27 mpg not bad for a heavy car with a V8

In Oregon the speed limit was 65 so I went 69 and I got 29 MPG in California the speed limit was 70 and I put regular gas in it (just to try it out) and I got 28 MPG but when I hit the long hill near LA the check engine light went on and the car would not down shift. I assumed it was the crappy gas I put in.

Next tank I put premium (BTW the light went off when I shut to car down and started it back up) Light stayed off till I got to Arizona and then it would go on and off. In Arizona I went 79 mph and got 25 to 26 MPG with a slight head wind.

When I got to el paso I cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner as well as the intake and the check engine light has not gone on since. I figured the change in climate altitude was giving the computer a problem with the fuel to air ratio and by cleaning the MAF it resolved this issure (BTW this is a common problem with 90's cars and cleaning the MAF regurlarly is not a bad idea.

My front brakes were warped a little and my back brakes were very thin so I put some Brembo disks and akebono proact brake pads. I did the work my self and so far they work great. About $350 to do all 4 brakes

When I was in phoenix I had a guy paint my leather seats with OEM dye and the seats now look like new. He recommended Lexol leather conditioner so I have been using it and it is a great product.

When I got home I clay barred the entire car, wax it twice, and detailed the inside, outside, and the engine. Took me 8 hours. Car looks like new. The pearl white gleams. The interior carpets are the highest quality carpet I have ever seen in a car.

Anyways only issue I have now is the side rear view mirrors rattle a little when I start up in the morning. I am going to tighten them up.

The car did not burn one ounce of oil on the entire trip. Since then I put mobil 1 in the car and changed the differential fluid.

Any comments or pointers are appreciated

Last edited by sam12345; 11-25-09 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 06:20 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sounds like you have been busy! I cant wait to see photos of it!

My driverside mirror does the same thing when first started of the morning. I thought it was the motor mounts causing it.

Mine dont use any oil either... amazing for a 225K mile car. Valve covers sure leak though, but never enough to change the oil level visually.

Mine seems pretty powerful. You think new plugs, tuneup may help yours?

I have never cleaned my MAF sensor... is that easily done? Thanks.

Originally Posted by sam12345
I searched on craigslist for an LS400 and I found a gem in Vancouver Wa.
Since I live in El Paso tx, I had to drive it back some 1800 miles. Here is a report.

The car itself was in unbelievably good condition. One ding on the door. Small wear on the front seats on the edges and a little blistering in the center arm rest. Had 143,000 miles and all the maintenance was up to date. Car looks almost like new.

Since I never owned a Lexus before ( I have a 1995 avalon, a 2007 camry, a 2000 4 runner and a 99 camry) Here are my impressions of the car.

The negative

Needs more power but the power is smooth and impressiver for a 4 liter engine.

Seats are a bit hard but they are supportive so my back did not hurt in through the entire trip

The use of the space is not all that efficient (less rear leg room than my avalon)

The arm rest on the door is too low therefore it interferes with my knee and when I rest my arm it is too low (so I rest my arm on the window sill but that is too high) It should be about 2 " higher and they should have angled the area with the buttons up to add additional knee room

The visors do not have extenders or slide, therefore if the sun is to the side it can not be adjusted to block the sun (unbelievable that they did not have this on a car like this my Dad's 80's S10 has a better system)

I have the Nkamichi stereo with 6 cd changer in the trunk. I think the bass could be louder and they should have had a seperate control for the subwoofer. That said for a factory stereo its pretty good and I bet I lost some of my hearing during this trip. Also when you have the stereo on CD the lights for the cd controls are below the buttons and the buttons themselves do not light up ( they should have had seperate lights (since in radio mode they light up 12345 for the radio presets) for the buttons in this mode or left the numbers lit up)

Car feels a little heavy.

The good

Car is extremely quiet

Engine is smooth as silk and when the RPMS get above 4000 it has some power (equivalent to todays V sixes)

I like the memory system for the seats, steering wheel, mirrors but they should have added the radio station preprogramming also ( in case your wife likes different stations)

The shocks could use a little more rebound damping ( although compared to a cadillac it is way less floaty and I may need to change my struts )

Moon roof is very big I really like the size of the opening

I like the looks of the car very clean

Car is unbelievably tight for having so many miles. Feels almost new except for the steering.

The steering had to much free play but since I figured it needed a new rack I added Lucas power steering fix and within 80 miles the steering felt like new. I never add this kind of stuff to my cars but I figured what is there to lose and it actually works.

My driving experience on the trip

Car is definitely a Highway cruiser. Once I added the lucas steering fix the car drove like a dream. Tracked straight and I hardly got tired. I kept it within 5 mph of the speed limit because I did not want to get a ticket.

My average gas mileages for the entire trip was 27 mpg not bad for a heavy car with a V8

In Oregon the speed limit was 65 so I went 69 and I got 29 MPG in California the speed limit was 70 and I put regular gas in it (just to try it out) and I got 28 MPG but when I hit the long hill near LA the check engine light went on and the car would not down shift. I assumed it was the crappy gas I put in.

Next tank I put premium (BTW the light went off when I shut to car down and started it back up) Light stayed off till I got to Arizona and then it would go on and off. In Arizona I went 79 mph and got 25 to 26 MPG with a slight head wind.

When I got to el paso I cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner as well as the intake and the check engine light has not gone on since. I figured the change in climate altitude was giving the computer a problem with the fuel to air ratio and by cleaning the MAF it resolved this issure (BTW this is a common problem with 90's cars and cleaning the MAF regurlarly is not a bad idea.

My front brakes were warped a little and my back brakes were very thin so I put some Brembo disks and akebono proact brake pads. I did the work my self and so far they work great. About $350 to do all 4 brakes

When I was in phoenix I had a guy paint my leather seats with OEM dye and the seats now look like new. He recommended Lexol leather conditioner so I have been using it and it is a great product.

When I got home I clay barred the entire car, wax it twice, and detailed the inside, outside, and the engine. Took me 8 hours. Car looks like new. The pearl white gleams. The interior carpets are the highest quality carpet I have ever seen in a car.

Anyways only issue I have now is the side rear view mirrors rattle a little when I start up in the morning. I am going to tighten them up.

The car did not burn one once of oil on the entire trip. Since then I put mobil 1 in the car and changed the differential fluid.

Any comments or pointers are appreciated
Old 11-25-09, 07:38 PM
bbtri
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny, I just bought a '90 in El Paso about a couple months ago and drove north, but only 75 miles.
Old 11-25-09, 09:10 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

No it does not need a tune up the guy I bought it from had just done a tune up a year ago. The motor works perfect. As far as power that is all relative. I would say it defininetly puts out close to the original 250 horses. But you know how it is like a computer that is never fast enough a car never has enough power. Plus the car is so smooth at accelerating that it gives the perception of low power but before you know you are hauling. Modern V6 cars put out 250 to 300 horses hence my analogy

As far as cleaning the MAF sensor its about as easy as changing the airfilter. it is the sensor right behind the air filter. Just make sure that you use MAF sensor cleaner so it wont damage any of your plastic parts. Read the instruction on the MAF sensor cleaner bottle. Make sure it is nice and dry before you reassemble it. ( stuff is a lot like contact cleaner so it evaporates rather quickly) If you clean the intake then you can use intake cleaner for that. (all these special cleaners are available at your local auto parts store)
I warn you that if you clean your intake the car will be hard to start and once you start it will miss for quite a while and your check engine light will turn on. ( I had to drive 20 miles before it ran smooth again).

Another note is that when I put mobil 1 synthetic the engine ran even quieter (If that is possible)

This car is completely stock but maybe I will post some pictures tomorrow

Does anybody know if the newer LS400 visor has an extender or slides so you can cover the sun when it is on the side and the visor does not reach the back edge of the window? I am 6'2" so I have the seat almost al the way back and the sun hits me right on the head when it is on the left side. It sucks. I am thinking of getting one of the newer ls400 visors at a junk yard if they extend or telescope.
Old 11-25-09, 09:23 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Yeah originally I was looking for a 97 or newer LS400 because of the extra 50 horses and I found a great deal in EL Paso. The car was a 98 white on gray with gray interior. 124,000 miles with all the service done at the Lexus dealer and brand new tires. They wanted 6,700 for the car and it ran perfect and everything worked. The only reason I did not buy it is that the owner was a smoker and my wife is allergic to cigarette smoke. I called a few detailers as well as went on the net. I got different opinions on if the smoke could be eliminated permanently so I decided not to buy it because of that risk. Hell of a deal. Probably should have bought it to resell.

Believe it or not the 92 I bought was in even better shape than the 98 so the only draw back was less power and more old school. And it only cost me 4500 (a little more than blue book but because of its condition it was worth it) I am telling you it is unbelievable how well kept this car is. The tires on it only had 2000 miles on them and they were Michelin (only bad thing is they are not V rated) Clean car fax. all services done. It was worth the 1800 miles to get it. Another draw back about buying cars in El Paso is that a lot of them have been crashed and fixed in Mexico and sometimes they do not show up on the car fax. Plus in Vancouver WA (basically the Portland oregon area) there is no snow and salt is outlawed and there is less sun so you get the best of both worlds. No salt damage and no sun damaged. First thing I did to the car when I got it to El Paso was tinted the car. (Limo tint for back and rear windows and darkest legal tint for driver passenger window) Made it look like a drug guys car.

So far I have done the following to the car

1. Transmission Flush $119 had this done at my local service station
2 New rotors and pads all 4 corners (Brembo and akebono pads from parts train) $350 I did all the labor (about 1.5 hours)
3. Changed Engine oil and filter to Mobil 1 $ 30 I changed it myself
4. Tinted all the windows (except windshield) $ 70 Local guy with life time warranty (the thicker better film, he charges $50 for the thinner film)
5. Fully detailed the car about $ 50 in cleaning agents and waxes (did the work myself about 8 hours)
6 Changed differential oil to Castrol synthetic differential oil $ 30 Did the work myself about 30 minutes
7 Added some Lucas power steering fix $ 15 added it during my trip from Vancouver WA tighten up the steering in less than 80 miles and steering still feels good
8. Fixed and Dyed the front leather seats and arm rest $110 Guy in phoenix (called bumper2bumper detailing) did it in about 2.25 hours of work excellent job. seats look like new and so far they have held up

Some tricks to detailing

If your paint is not smooth as silk when you run your hands across it then clay bar it first. Use detailing fluid to lubricate as you clay bar I used the Macguires clay kit (painstaking process if you have to do the whole car took me 3 hours) If you have water spots on your windows then get some 000 steel wool from your local hardware store and rub the windows lubricating with car wax. It will make the windows look like new (except if their is pitting for that you can only fix by replacing the window/windshield)
I also used in on the mirror to remove the water spots on them but be carefull on the mirror (dont rub very hard) remember 000 steel wool or less ( I think that there is 0000 and even 00000 and do not forget to Lubricate with wax)

Once you have done the clay bar on the paint then wax with a cleaning wax and then finish off with macguires ultimate quick spray on wax ( macguires has several spray on waxes but the other ones tend to smear so only use this one) Then finish off with a microfiber towel and you will not believe the shine and smoothness of your paint (if the clear coat is still good that is)

For the interior rugs use Tuff Stuff. I do not know what this stuff has in it but I have found nothing else that comes even close to cleaning a rug. Put it on liberally and scrub off with a towel. Do this several times and it will come clean. If necessary use a brush. For the mats I have sometimes put them in the washing machine with good results. But first try the tuff stuff and you will be amazed. Another good thing about this stuff is that it is very cheap.

For the leather I use Lexol. It is by far superior to any other leather conditioner I have ever used. (it is not a cleaner so if you want to clean your leather I think Lexol sells a leather cleaner also) but once it is clean then you can condition it with this stuff. If your seats have not been conditioned regurlarly (should do it once a month) then every other day condition them again for about 3 times and they will be good as can be. (leather needs to be mosturized or it will crack)

For the engine I cleaned it with the Green degreaser ( I forgot the exact name) and then pressure wash it (being carefull to avoid electrical stuff from direct spray) and then let it dry. Then I put the tire foam stuff (same stuff you put on your side wall tires) all over the black plastic and even the black metal parts under the hood. Let is soak for a while and then wipe to a shine ( may need to do this twice to get the best shine)

Lots of elbow grease but very good results. No one can believe the car is 18 years old

When I tighten up the mirrors I will post instructions.

Last edited by sam12345; 11-25-09 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 10:20 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Well my other car is a big S-Class Mercedes with a 6-cylinder, so its fairly slow... so my LS seems fast. lol.

I will definitely clean the MAF... my car needs tune up. I want to get th throttle body cleaned too. Engine needs a good detailing as well.

Thanks and good luck with yours!

Originally Posted by sam12345
No it does not need a tune up the guy I bought it from had just done a tune up a year ago. The motor works perfect. As far as power that is all relative. I would say it defininetly puts out close to the original 250 horses. But you know how it is like a computer that is never fast enough a car never has enough power. Plus the car is so smooth at accelerating that it gives the perception of low power but before you know you are hauling. Modern V6 cars put out 250 to 300 horses hence my analogy
Old 11-25-09, 11:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

might wanna read up on cleaning the AFM (its not a maf on pre '98 cars iirc) since many people have killed their mafs this way.
Old 11-25-09, 11:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Worked for me do you have a link to cleaning the AFM?
Old 11-26-09, 12:57 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

found a link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...our-maf-3.html
Old 11-26-09, 01:10 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

another good link on AFM

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511
Old 11-26-09, 01:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!! I enjoyed reading it. May you continue to have a positive experience with your LS 400!
Old 11-26-09, 01:47 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

More AFM info

I think I got lucky I did not damage it when I cleaned it

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFDevices.htm
Old 11-26-09, 08:21 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

The loose side mirrors are real easy to tighten up. There is 2 phillips screws on the bottom side of the mirror. The outward one you can get to without dismounting the mirrors (but not the inner one). I got a phillips tip and clamped it with a vise grip plyers. thighten the phillips screw checking the free play of the mirror. Once it is not loose your are done
Old 11-27-09, 02:00 AM
g3t0ut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man next time u look at something in vancouver ill be happy to look at it before you drive that far to see it! i live in Vancouver, WA that goes for anyone.. im glad your happy with it and that nothing major was wrong with it wne u got here... i woulda been soo mad to drive that far and end up finding something wrong.
congrats on the new lex!
Old 11-27-09, 09:17 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

My brother lives in Portland so he checked it out for me first. Then I had it checked by a mechanic and then I flew there to get it and while I was at it I visited my brother. Thanks for the offer

Quick Reply: Experience with 1992 LS400 I purchased