LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car being too low...Relocate harness? weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 05:40 PM
aristobb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car being too low...Relocate harness? weird noise

for those of you who have slammed LS4, do you have to relocate the harness in the fender well? my car is relatively low, but i've seen even LOWER ones on the board.
when i took out my front wheel this weekend, i noticed the front driver side tire had rubbed thru my fender liner, i can see the harness thru the cracks.
so i'm wondering if any of you have experience to relocate the harness.

Another issue i had encountered is that sometimes when the car hits really sharp bump or dip, it will make metal hitting sound (sounds like front upper control arm hit the top of the frame)
Do you guys know what this is?

I actually would like to go lower or stay at this height, but i dont want my car to die on the freeway if my tires really rub thru the harness.

P.S. I had to to this to all my 240sx...but seems like LS4 has tons of wiring in there.
Old 10-14-09, 07:30 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

ride height for reference (and whoring) purposes.

i removed my liners, as i always do, and have been checking daily for wear on the harnesses and ties. granted, it's only been a few days but so far so good (no wear or visible signs of contact whatsoever).

the sound you are hearing most likely is the uca hitting in the wheel well. the common solution is to cut a hole to allow upper arm clearance.
Old 10-14-09, 08:12 PM
kimanh
Rookie

off topic but what wheels are those? they kinda look like auto couture supremes but with bigger spokes.
Old 10-14-09, 11:07 PM
Mr.Euro
Lead Lap

psshhh, i had the entire harness ripped out. i ran extra wire for mine, ran it behind the coilover and in a certain maze to make sure it didn't touch. pic for height reference as well:

it hurts to drive. and yes, those are NY plates.
Old 10-14-09, 11:08 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowenharts?
Old 10-14-09, 11:37 PM
aristobb
Driver School Candidate

BLKonBLK98, is your car on coilovers? if so, what kind?
i really dont care about the fender liners but then the harness is like right there, is there any way to relocate it? or tuck it up more?
also about cutting holes on the top for UCA clearance, did you have to cut yours? what do u use to cut it? i would love to do that so i can go lower...

Mr.Euro, can you tell me more details on what you really did with the harness? did you extend every single wire so you can re-route it?

i really wanna go lower....please help!
Old 10-15-09, 12:16 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hit , my firends hit and most other lowered LS's all hit he upper control arms in the front .
The wires will be rubbed right through if you do not move them when running atleast 245 20's or larger tires in the front.
It can be moved to the edge of the inner shield on a ucf20 by removing the straps.
Old 10-15-09, 06:04 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kimanh
off topic but what wheels are those? they kinda look like auto couture supremes but with bigger spokes.
lowenhart ldr. should be switchin it up next week.

Originally Posted by aristobb
BLKonBLK98, is your car on coilovers? if so, what kind?
i really dont care about the fender liners but then the harness is like right there, is there any way to relocate it? or tuck it up more?
also about cutting holes on the top for UCA clearance, did you have to cut yours? what do u use to cut it? i would love to do that so i can go lower...
jic flt-tar vip coilovers.

on mine the harnesses are tucked up about as good as you can ask for, rerouting would be the only option if rubbing occured. sk brought up a good point on tire sizes since overall diameter is going to be a key factor. i'm running 235/35-19 right now.

i have not cut mine yet (waiting to get a dent for positioning), but a hole saw is the weapon of choice.
Old 10-16-09, 09:45 PM
kimanh
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
lowenhart ldr. should be switchin it up next week.
what wheels u be getting next those rims match the car peerfectly. anyways if u gonna sale them pm ur price might get them if it within my budget