LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

flat front Air suspension for my 1994 ls400!NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 02:33 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry flat front Air suspension for my 1994 ls400!NEED HELP

Hey yall,

I have just purchased a 1994 ls400 with air suspension and the right front airshock on the rubber part pictured below is cracked. It sags on left front completely! Here is the picture below.I am trying to repair and patch up the rip torn part where the air leaks out! I know the air system and compressor system works fine as it pumps air into all other 3 shocks , and i see bubbles comes out from the cracked rubber part of the leaking air shock, when i put soapy water on it with compressor on. What do you recommend I use to patch up seal the whole top part of the shock so that no air escapes?

2)Also, my second option is to replace it with a used one and I need to know if a 1990 ls400 airshock is compatible with my 1994 ls400 ? any one got a good working low mileage front airshock for a 94 lexus ls400 email me or call .626-2005013 thank you !!
! thank you in advance,
Attached Thumbnails flat front Air suspension for my 1994 ls400!NEED HELP-dsc04662.jpg  

Last edited by LS400JDM2; 09-28-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 02:47 PM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think patching this up will not do. There's some pressure on those shocks

A 1990 will do fine. I have some used air shocks, but I'm located in the Netherlands Europe. There should be enough of these in the US.

And I believe Arnott sells them too, on ebay.\

good luck!
Old 09-28-09, 02:51 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

hey there , so a 1990 ls400 shares same exact shocks with a 1994 correct? Yes i have a few guys who got some 1990 ls400 airshock but i just need to confirm. Are the ones Arnott selling a plug and play unit as i see those has blistein shocks too. How hard will it be to take out the old shock and reinstall a replacement for it? .

thank you
Old 09-28-09, 03:10 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay or salvage yards for used bags?
Old 09-28-09, 03:29 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

do you know aska-HT or any one? ;-) Need to get it replaced or fixed asap as i am riding with no air in the shocks and it is horrible!!!
thank you
Old 09-28-09, 11:34 PM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

There is a site, www toyodyi com (the editor replaces this site name with stars for some reason, hence you have to type the link yourself), where you can enter your own car ("Select your car" and so on) to find the part number for whatever part you need to replace. Then you can add a second car (the donor car with year model etc.) and compare the part numbers.
The price for new OEM ones is crazy, but check Arnott Industries who seems to have a good reputation around here.
Now, if you search for info on the air suspension of old Lexus's, you'll find that it's quite common that once one corner goes, the others are soon to follow. (Which is why I supplied the link to Arnott Industries. They claim a lifetime warranty etc. But they also have spring conversion kits for a decent price.)
If you're doing the job yourself, there is plenty of information here, on LexLS and on Lextreme (Click on Air suspension replacement). While the supplied links describe a conversion, I recon the info is good for replacement also.

//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 09-28-09 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 10:30 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

I had one different looking rear shock under my car, Housing was slightly different shaped. Apparently that was a replacement part from a newer model LS400. But it worked fine under my car.

Replacing them aint so difficult. I didn't even loosen the upper control arm from the spindle.

All I did was unbolt the lower end of the shock connecting it too the lower control arm, then I removed the height sensor too make some more room for removal. Then I unbolted the shock further, pressed it by hand and manouvered it out of the wheel well. It's easy

I have never used those Bilstein one's from Arnott. But they are ment to go under a LS, so I would suppose it fits.
Old 10-01-09, 04:07 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Thanks asia-ht I just got a replacment shock and am going to put it in this weekend. will post more info once its done. So how low does the airsuspension actually go on stock regular mode and high mode ? Is there a way to modify the settings for it to go lower then the stock regular height mode? Thank you
Old 10-02-09, 11:40 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

There are some computer devices available to manually control the ride height. I thought Lextreme had something about it displayed on his website somewhere
Old 10-03-09, 02:27 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Asia-H.T.
There are some computer devices available to manually control the ride height. I thought Lextreme had something about it displayed on his website somewhere
I've got a Datasystems air ride controller for UCF 10/11 that I am about to list for sale in the next couple of days. PM me for info.
Old 10-07-09, 02:33 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

will be putting on the airshock today , Will post reply soon !
Old 10-07-09, 05:46 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Sorry to hijack your thread LS400JDM2, but since there was talk about Arnott in one of the previous posts, I'll continue a bit on that regard...

Seems like Arnott is highly regarded here. Any experiences around here about Strutmasters' coil conversion kits? I know they are well liked among at least in Cadillac and Ford/Lincoln people. I used their conversion kit on my wife's old 00 Expedition Eddie Bauer and it worked great.
Old 12-21-10, 08:32 PM
hOoTs
Driver School Candidate

OK This might sound a little crazy. I bought a 1990 ls 400 good deal I thought. Oh just a leaky air shock no big deal. Well you know the rest. I found where it was leaking on the rubber. So I took the air line off in the trunk,jacked the car up a little,and pumped in some slim with a pump oil can and a little tube. Strait into the shock. Hooked the line back up. started the car, some slim came out just a little. the car lifted right up, and has stayed up for a week now. I'll let you know how its holding up in a while. any questions just ask.
Old 04-09-11, 07:53 PM
hOoTs
Driver School Candidate

By the way it's April, and still holding. However ball joint broke while driving down the road. Now that was scary.
Old 04-10-11, 07:57 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hOoTs
By the way it's April, and still holding. However ball joint broke while driving down the road. Now that was scary.
Thanks for the update on the slime'd air shock--great to hear!

Which ball joint broke, and did it completely separate?

Quick Reply: flat front Air suspension for my 1994 ls400!NEED HELP