LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 06:58 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jumerle
Has anyone purchased off market engine mount for 1998 LS400?
I am thinking whether this is a bad decision.
Yes, I bought aftermarket engine mounts and they get the job done. A word of caution though they are solid rubber versus the rubber/gelled rubber OEM mounts. This just impacts the vibration and smoothness of the car. If your on a budget aftermarket mounts are a lot better than ripped or ruined ones.
Old 10-18-17, 11:50 AM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After market engine mount

Does this mean that the after market engine mounts cause vibration and roughness in the ride?
I would hate to lose that smooth ride I experience from my 1998 LS400.

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
Yes, I bought aftermarket engine mounts and they get the job done. A word of caution though they are solid rubber versus the rubber/gelled rubber OEM mounts. This just impacts the vibration and smoothness of the car. If your on a budget aftermarket mounts are a lot better than ripped or ruined ones.
Old 10-18-17, 12:54 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jumerle
Does this mean that the after market engine mounts cause vibration and roughness in the ride?
I would hate to lose that smooth ride I experience from my 1998 LS400.
If your worried about it not being like stock I would get factory mounts. I replaced some suspension bushings with non factory and had a larger impact than the non factory engine mounts. Regardless you want to replace them asap before the egr pipe cracks or breaks and your car sounds like a 1978 Ford LTD. This job is really extensive and you want to be careful you do not break anything else.
Old 02-21-18, 05:34 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Bookmarked,thank You.
Old 02-26-18, 06:29 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for this post. I finally did the two front engine mounts and the transmission mount yesterday.
The mounts came out just like most of you. Completely split for the both fronts and squashed and hard for the transmission mount.
What a pain this was.

Few additional tips that I learned in the process.
1. I didn't lower the cross member, I just unbolted the bolts. I've managed to raise the engine high enough to get the mounts in. The trick is shift the jack raising the engine from the oil pan to slightly one side or other, which ever side you're working on. Your basically tilting the engine slightly to the driver side or passenger side so that one side has bigger gap over the other. It was bit unnerving if I would break something by raising the engine so high but it appears to be ok.
2. Thanks for the tip on disconnecting the heater plasticky thingy. It would have definitely broke if I didn't.
3. I used the 17mm combination wrench, extending with another combination wrench, which did the trick on the driver side mount. This explains the trick
4. For driver side mount, I took the oil filter off and shoved the mount in from the front side of the car. Just be careful not to cut/snag the hoses and wires, especially with the metal brackets for the mount. You can reuse the oil filter if it was't damaged during take off and just add 1/2 quart of oil when done.
5. For those contemplating OEM or aftermarket part, I would strongly suggest OEM. Price difference is not big enough (at least for me) to deal with any potential aftermarket part issue. The installation took significantly longer than I planned and I don't want to do this again for very long time.

Last edited by TakaM; 02-26-18 at 06:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TakaM:
ankurdave (02-24-19), ToyCamry (07-08-19)