LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 06:30 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I meant nut, sorry. The passenger side came out pretty easy, bottom of driver side is out (mounts separated, completely shot), I just have to work on the upper nut... It really is testing my patience
Sprayed PB Blaster for now, hopefully that will help.
Old 03-18-16, 11:28 AM
valex
Advanced

Guys, my other question, do you just disconnect the sliding yoke from the rack? People here mention they lower cross member AND the rack.
Old 03-18-16, 12:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I did not drop the rack, it's optional if you want to drop. Whatever makes the process easier for you. I will tell you that I had to pry the cross member/sub frame down with a crow bar and KEEP downward pressure on it while my helper turned the nut. It took a long time since the the wrench can only turn a little at a time.
Old 03-18-16, 12:35 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

we lowered rack & member ,mine was shot too, that was in 2010... no more trouble

Last edited by billydpowe; 03-18-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 02:50 PM
valex
Advanced

Originally Posted by billydpowe
we lowered rack & member ,mine was shot too, that was in 2010... no more trouble
Billy,
Do you just disconnect the sliding yoke to lower the rack?
Thank you
Old 03-21-16, 08:37 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
i cannot break loose upper nut on driver side, what did you guys use? Flex head ratcheting wrench?
I used a flex head ratcheting socket drive, with a short socket (17mm, I think). I did that job about 8 years ago, and if I did not have that tool, I'd probably still be working on it.
Old 04-04-16, 09:12 PM
valex
Advanced

Default 1999 LS400 206K miles

I now understand why it was hard to undo the upper nut on driver side. I tried doing it with engine raised and it was pressing on the nut upward, making it hard to turn. I put front of the car on ramps and the nut turned easily. Once the upper nuts removed, I put the car on 4 jack stands and followed the instructions here.
My flex head ratcheting wrench did not fit over the upper nuts - walls of the wrench are too thick.
I used a regular box wrench with slightly curved head. Had the curve been more aggressive, it would be even easier. I wonder if a stubby wrench would work better on tightening driver side nut.
Both engine mounts and transmission mount were separated, came out in pieces.
I did unbolt the cross member, but didn't disconnect the lower control arm, just pried the cross member enough to push the bottom stud of the engine mount in place.
The entire job took me almost 7 hours, but I changed the steering rack bushings along the way and cleaned everything thoroughly as I was going, removed the heater valve completely, pinched off the hose that goes in fom the left.
Old 05-23-17, 05:18 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up! My only thoughts is that its not necessary to remove the nuts for the camber to complete the work. I recommend starting with the driver side since it is the hardest and work out from there. I purchased all three mounts made in the USA on eBay for $66.95. I was a bit skeptical at the price but they look good and are better than the torn oem ones.
Old 05-25-17, 08:29 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
Great write up! My only thoughts is that its not necessary to remove the nuts for the camber to complete the work. I recommend starting with the driver side since it is the hardest and work out from there. I purchased all three mounts made in the USA on eBay for $66.95. I was a bit skeptical at the price but they look good and are better than the torn oem ones.
What brand mounts are advertised as better than OEM for this application??

How do you or the supplier quantify they are better?

While I have reservations about the design (once they separate..no safety catch) I ask because you are the first to suggest that non Lexus brand motor mount is better than OEM..

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-25-17, 11:05 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YODAONE
What brand mounts are advertised as better than OEM for this application??

How do you or the supplier quantify they are better?

While I have reservations about the design (once they separate..no safety catch) I ask because you are the first to suggest that non Lexus brand motor mount is better than OEM..

Thanks for sharing.
Hands down OEM Toyota parts are best since its is manufactured and designed to the specifications/quality for any Lexus vehicle. I am sorry I was not clear the OEM ones in my case where original and shot to hell. So with that said, what I am about to say may just be my opinion. For what the car is worth and the reliability of non OEM parts I chose to go with aftermarket since its kinda a wash in my opinion. The reality is an engine mount that is aftermarket with a five year warranty is going to be much nicer than the ripped haggard 20+ year old mounts your drive line is sitting on. I may or may not get the same amount of time out of the life span compared to the OEM but for $75 all my mounts are new (sorry was wrong on price in orig. post). Its not like I spent $195 for two engine mounts and $50 for transmission mount for a total of $245. I am not saying this as a debate since OEM WILL BE BETTER.

In the end it really is a question to ask yourself what you think it is worth to you.

I bought my engine/transmission mounts HERE on eBay they are affordable and fit like a glove. Also, I like the fact that they are made in America. If you want genuine engine mounts or transmission mount I added the links. NOTE, I linked for model years 1995-1997 you may need to do a search if you have a different model year.

Photo of my old mounts you can see where they where separating near the top. I felt a vibration in the gear **** and I did have a bid for the last owner stating that they need to be replaced.

Last edited by LexusNAZ; 05-25-17 at 11:21 PM. Reason: price quote wrong.
The following users liked this post:
dashan (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 07:28 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have the link to the $66.95 three mounts? Thanks. I will need to get a set of the mounts.
Old 06-14-17, 07:33 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Hands down OEM Toyota parts are best since its is manufactured and designed to the specifications/quality for any Lexus vehicle. I am sorry I was not clear the OEM ones in my case where original and shot to hell. So with that said, what I am about to say may just be my opinion. For what the car is worth and the reliability of non OEM parts I chose to go with aftermarket since its kinda a wash in my opinion. The reality is an engine mount that is aftermarket with a five year warranty is going to be much nicer than the ripped haggard 20+ year old mounts your drive line is sitting on. I may or may not get the same amount of time out of the life span compared to the OEM but for $75 all my mounts are new (sorry was wrong on price in orig. post). Its not like I spent $195 for two engine mounts and $50 for transmission mount for a total of $245. I am not saying this as a debate since OEM WILL BE BETTER.

In the end it really is a question to ask yourself what you think it is worth to you.

I bought my engine/transmission mounts HERE on eBay they are affordable and fit like a glove. Also, I like the fact that they are made in America. If you want genuine engine mounts or transmission mount I added the links. NOTE, I linked for model years 1995-1997 you may need to do a search if you have a different model year.

Photo of my old mounts you can see where they where separating near the top. I felt a vibration in the gear **** and I did have a bid for the last owner stating that they need to be replaced.
Thanks. I bought the last set, paying $66.95 for the 3 mounts.
Old 06-14-17, 08:45 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

[QUOE=dashTan;9897081]Thanks. I bought the last set, paying $66.95 for the 3 mounts.[/QUOTE]

Cool, hope it works out for you!
Old 07-08-17, 09:01 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Install the three mounts. The engine mounts are a perfect fit. Need to fight to get the transmission mount installed.
Old 10-17-17, 06:38 AM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone purchased off market engine mount for 1998 LS400?
I am thinking whether this is a bad decision.

Quick Reply: DIY Engine and Transmission Bushings Replacement