LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

she dumped me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 05:26 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy she dumped me!!!

i was on my way to work this morning, which is nothing unusual for me and i was running about 70 mph. 3/4 of the ways to work m car lit up like a christmas tree and i was no longer able to accelerate. i managed to get off the freeway and get into a safe spot. i tried to restart my car again and it wouldn't. The car sounds like it wants to start but it just wont fire. it cranks and all that stuff. WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN? WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN? IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL. I am or was driving a 92 ls400.
Old 07-15-09, 06:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check this first.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 07-15-09, 06:54 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Default i didnt know that

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
thanks for the info. i hope that this will be the problem so that i can fix this
Old 07-16-09, 02:34 AM
JNEUBY
Driver School Candidate

Not quite enough information on the symtoms. It sounds like the dash lit up when the vehicle stalled while driving, which would be normal. The first things to look for is spark, fuel, timing belt and computer problems. I don't have any reference stuff with me at this time. When cranking over the engine, does it sound like it's cranking faster then it normally does? If so, you could have blown the timing belt. You can take one of the upper plastic covers off and have someone crank the engine to see if that side cam shaft is turning. (If the timing belt jumped and did not break, it will still turn, so don't get fooled.) If it's not turning, you know what happened. While you have the cover off, take the next cover off to access the spark plug, remove one of the spark plugs, reconnect the plug wire and rest the spark plug away from any electrical stuff but on a metal part of the engine. Have someone crank and look for spark at the plug tip. DO NOT HOLD IN YOUR HAND UNLESS YOU NEED SOME EXCITEMENT! If no spark, you will have to get into some more complicated diagnostics. It could be something like a crank sensor that went bad and not sending a signal. If you have the capability, I would first, check for codes in the computer before tearing anything apart. There's a chance that if you had an electrical failure, it could have set a code in the computer and could give you a heads up inwhich direction to start. Just be careful that multiple codes can be set and that could cause you to to go after the wrong thing. Check all your primary fuses first. The only other area is fuel. You will need to check to make sure you have fuel in the tank, check for electric to the fuel pump and check to see if you have any fuel pressure. If no fuel pressure and power to the fuel pump, and you don't hear it fire up when turning on the key, then it's a good chance the pump is bad. Go for the easy stuff first. Check for gas in tank, check all your fuses first. Then start tearing stuff apart. The forum should be able to help guide you on some of the testing. Hope this helps somewhat. Unfortunately, I won't have computer access for a week after this and won't be able to help you solve your problem.
Old 07-16-09, 07:23 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

thanks for the tips but i think the problem may be with the fuel pump. i stuck my head in the trunk of the car and had someone turn the key to the on position so that i can listen to for it to turn on. th result of that was silence. we have not ruled out any other problems yet. i will take off the fuel line and turn the motor to see if gas pumps out. if it does then i will come back for advice on how to check other stuff. thanks guys
Old 07-17-09, 05:53 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

check to se if u have power to the pump while the key is on or during cranking, if so and no fuel is being pumped then its the pump,if it doesnt have power then its most likely the relay
Old 07-18-09, 07:50 AM
dsabc2867
Rookie

ok im gonna take the time today to check all that. i suppose that a volt meter would help me find the power to the relay. right?
Old 07-18-09, 08:04 AM
python
Lexus Champion

power in and out of the relay
Old 07-18-09, 03:37 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

ok just found out that the fuel pump is good. on to to the relay. where is that exactly located?
Old 07-19-09, 03:18 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsabc2867
ok just found out that the fuel pump is good. on to to the relay. where is that exactly located?
In the main relay/fuse box in the engine bay, should be labeled on the lid
Old 07-19-09, 05:10 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

check your battery voltage, is your PS pump leaking? then your alternator couldve taken a dump. the same thing happened to me in a major intersection in orlando.
Old 07-19-09, 05:51 PM
python
Lexus Champion

how did u find out the pump is good? its getting power? or u supplied power to it? makes no sense to check the relay if u r getting power to the pump
Old 07-19-09, 09:19 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

i disconnected the fuel line and gass was pouring out
Old 07-20-09, 02:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A quick check is to see if the screw on the fuel pressure damper on the left fuel rail is sticking up when the engine is running or with terminals Fp and B+ jumpered. If the screw head is just below the diaphragm housing, you got fuel pressure issues - filter or pump.
Old 07-20-09, 09:29 AM
dsabc2867
Rookie

this stuff is getting more and more complicated. can you send a pic of this location nthatch. thanks

Quick Reply: she dumped me!!!