LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Problem. Help !, Running out of options

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 11:34 PM
Papoocho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same issue, crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, trac on/off. All caused by FAULTY BATTERY!!
Old 07-26-18, 03:32 PM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

Default Cps

did anyone ever figure out what fixed the camshaft position sensor?
i have the same issue on my 06 IS250 AWD. Changed out all 3 sensors and my VSC and cel are still on.
please help/advise!
Old 07-27-18, 01:10 PM
Michael88
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Amazing how these cars are designed so well they can get you home on a weak battery. cheap battery? leaking battery? idler pulley squeal? broken key? vacuum? did i say vacuum? are the hoses old and not being armor all in the past 5 - 10 years? do the vacuum hoses spin or are they fixed tight? sprayed any starting fluid around intake, vac hoses to look for jump in idle? washing the engine block with a pressure washer? water past the spark plug boots short?
The following users liked this post:
Heretic (03-30-20)
Old 08-07-18, 11:58 AM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Michael88
Amazing how these cars are designed so well they can get you home on a weak battery. cheap battery? leaking battery? idler pulley squeal? broken key? vacuum? did i say vacuum? are the hoses old and not being armor all in the past 5 - 10 years? do the vacuum hoses spin or are they fixed tight? sprayed any starting fluid around intake, vac hoses to look for jump in idle? washing the engine block with a pressure washer? water past the spark plug boots short?
I checked the battery- it's good. I don't have any idler pulley squeal, broken key or vacuum. The hose look good in condition and have been cleaned/maintained in the past 12 years.
Of all the items you mentioned there were only two that raised flags.
-I have one hose that goes directly in to the engine and I can spin it, has some play.
-I washed the engine bay with a degreaser then hosed it down and left it to dry for about 4 hours in sunlight.

After washing the car, I didn't have any issues but about 2-weeks later is when my check vsc and cel lights came on and the code is throwing the camshaft sensor position A, bank 1 code.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-18, 12:15 PM
Michael88
Driver

Originally Posted by zaki21
I checked the battery- it's good. I don't have any idler pulley squeal, broken key or vacuum. The hose look good in condition and have been cleaned/maintained in the past 12 years.
Of all the items you mentioned there were only two that raised flags.
-I have one hose that goes directly in to the engine and I can spin it, has some play.
-I washed the engine bay with a degreaser then hosed it down and left it to dry for about 4 hours in sunlight.

After washing the car, I didn't have any issues but about 2-weeks later is when my check vsc and cel lights came on and the code is throwing the camshaft sensor position A, bank 1 code.
Any suggestions?
I would put a new clamp on the hose that spins. Hardware store clamps are fine. I would consider that water got past the spark plugs boots and might be causing a short. I would gently remove the boots or coils if it has those and blow compressed air down down there where the plugs are to blow out any moisture . You replaced the cam sensor right, and cleared the codes by battery disconnect? Hope it will be this simple. Look for Yamae he is the man on this stuff. Try to think about where water might be trapped on electrical connection. These cars hate getting wet.

Last edited by Michael88; 08-07-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 12:38 PM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

I would put a new clamp on the hose that spins. Hardware store clamps are fine. I would consider that water got past the spark plugs boots and might be causing a short. I would gently remove the boots or coils if it has those and blow compressed air down down there where the plugs are to blow out any moisture . You replaced the cam sensor right, and cleared the codes by battery disconnect? Hope it will be this simple. Look for Yamae he is the man on this stuff. Try to think about where water might be trapped on electrical connection. These cars hate getting wet.
I'll get the clamp on it.
Regarding the water, two weeks after I washed the engine bay, I got the light. That's when I took off everything, checked the plugs and boots. Didn't see anything abnormal. I even blowed air in to the spark plug housing to clean out the little debris. Yes, I did replace all of the camshaft sensor's as well. Not to mention, the vehicle has had plenty of time to dry the day I washed it and from now on too.
I tried disconnecting the battery and left it off for a whole night and still had the code pop up as soon as I put it back together. Can't even clear the code with an OBDII scanner.
Do you have contact info for Yamae? I'm new to the forum life.
Old 08-07-18, 12:51 PM
Michael88
Driver

You did new distributor caps and rotors. What made you decide to do that? I think people assume you did new plugs and wires when you did this? Correct? If not you could have a bad wire or plug.
Old 08-07-18, 04:26 PM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

You did new distributor caps and rotors. What made you decide to do that? I think people assume you did new plugs and wires when you did this? Correct? If not you could have a bad wire or plug.
No, I just changed the camshaft sensors. One intake and two exhaust sensors.
Not sure about the wire plug. How much would the dealer charge for such service?
I'm also burning 1.1qts of oil for every 3300mi. This normal? Running conventional 5w-30
Old 08-07-18, 05:33 PM
Michael88
Driver

Oh i see this is a piggybacking on another vehicle's help request getting them confused.
Old 08-07-18, 08:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Lots of wasted time, is it a CAM car? I can see guess work on an old OBD1 car not on a CAM car or even just OBD2.

I did not see what year it is. All us ones that have been here for ever almost don't even want to try to help when we have to guess what year the car is.
Old 08-07-18, 08:35 PM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Lots of wasted time, is it a CAM car? I can see guess work on an old OBD1 car not on a CAM car or even just OBD2.

I did not see what year it is. All us ones that have been here for ever almost don't even want to try to help when we have to guess what year the car is.
what do you mean by CAM Car?
I hooked up the scanner via the obd2 port, it’s an 06 is250 awd. Sorry new to the forum life. And I’m really wanting the members help/assistance can’t get this figured out and want to avoid going to the stealership.
Old 08-08-18, 08:29 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

what do you mean by CAM Car?
I hooked up the scanner via the obd2 port, it’s an 06 is250 awd. Sorry new to the forum life. And I’m really wanting the members help/assistance can’t get this figured out and want to avoid going to the stealership.
You are in the ls400 forum section. Not that you can't get some help here, but you are better off going to the correct forum section.
Old 08-08-18, 05:02 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

CAM -----------> Controller Area Network
You either spend $1000 or more for a quality scan tool, or go to someone that has one and pay them to trouble shoot it. Those trouble codes are for a reason, right?
So you use a tool that can find why the code is reported. All the guess work is like using a screw driver to remove the spark plugs. Is it a VVT ? Just adds more things that need checking, a bi directional scan tool can check it all especially on a CAM car.

Your thread says "running out of options". I just gave the priority number 1 option.

Last edited by dicer; 08-08-18 at 05:05 PM.
zaki21 (08-09-18)
Old 08-08-18, 08:01 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

did anyone ever figure out what fixed the camshaft position sensor?
i have the same issue on my 06 IS250 AWD. Changed out all 3 sensors and my VSC and cel are still on.
please help/advise!
I don't know much about a 06 IS250 AWD but I know some about how the Toyota ECU is designed. What I worry about is that the cam timing is out of the range.

Try removing the cam position sensor's connector and force to stop sending the cam timing signal to the ECU. What happens? This can be done on our LS400 but I haven't tried this on a 06 IS250 AWD and I have no idea about the side effect to your engine. So I can't guarantee any.

If you don't want to do this, simply ask those IS250 people about your problem or visit a dealership. One more thing. Don't send me a personal question mail. I make it a rule not to respond those since there come strange questions next to next. I only act at the main Forum.
BNastee (05-23-19)
Old 08-09-18, 09:43 AM
zaki21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
I don't know much about a 06 IS250 AWD but I know some about how the Toyota ECU is designed. What I worry about is that the cam timing is out of the range.

Try removing the cam position sensor's connector and force to stop sending the cam timing signal to the ECU. What happens? This can be done on our LS400 but I haven't tried this on a 06 IS250 AWD and I have no idea about the side effect to your engine. So I can't guarantee any.

If you don't want to do this, simply ask those IS250 people about your problem or visit a dealership. One more thing. Don't send me a personal question mail. I make it a rule not to respond those since there come strange questions next to next. I only act at the main Forum.
Yamae! Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I don't think I'll try removing the cam position sensor's connector at this time because I don't know what the result will be on the engine/ECU.
I'll just have to pay out of pocket and take it to the dealer to run the diagnostics. Thanks again!