LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heated seats not working

Old 12-11-09, 07:13 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, the aftermarket heater wasn't a good choice...
i replaced the back with the aftermarket, it is only 2 wires, while the existing heater had 2 elements, so 3 wires
i tried connecting the 2 wires from the seat heater together (connected them in parallel) and then thru the new back heater (series) to 12V
the back got nice & toasty, but the seat never seemed to heat up
i tired the back in series with 1 element of the seat heater and it dropped 10V, while the seat only got 4V, so not a good match
i decided to repair the original back heater & now i just have to get the seat out again & replace the back heater.....

mark
Old 12-11-09, 08:33 PM
eles400
Driver School Candidate

my 92 ls400 the drivers seat heater works only a little bit, the passenger seat works perfect, what can be done?
Old 12-11-09, 08:49 PM
solok25
Driver School Candidate

if relay or fuse was blown would the heat buttons green light still come on mine does but driver seat cushion dont wk and pass back dont wk
Old 12-12-09, 06:34 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by eles400
my 92 ls400 the drivers seat heater works only a little bit, the passenger seat works perfect, what can be done?
there are 2 elements in each heater wired in series with the other heater
so basically 2 heaters in parallel
if 1 breaks, then you get 1/2 heat in that seat
it's not rocket science, but time consuming to pull the seat and peel the leather back enough to remove & fix the heater
my mechanic gave me a tool & hog ties (the clips that hold the leather), but i found i could open the existing ones & reuse, but tie-raps would have worked too

there are 2 3-pin connectors in the back of the seat, with an ohm meter you can determine which heater element is open

mark
Old 12-13-09, 01:10 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both driver and passenger seat is out on my 90' LS. It sucks now when its getting winter.

Is it possible to take out the seats and take the leather off, find the problem and solder it? Or is it not possible to fix by yourself?

Its not fun to take out the seats when its so cold now, so it would be nice to do all the work and make it work the first time instead of taking the seats out and install again several times.
Old 12-13-09, 05:53 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Is it possible to take out the seats and take the leather off, find the problem and solder it? Or is it not possible to fix by yourself?
It is not necessary to remove the leather to identify the problem. There is a detailed diagnosis procedure for the seat heaters in your car. The procedure for my 00 LS is a little lengthy but it is easy to follow and involves testing the pins on connectors and relays for continuity and resistance, testing the seat heater thermostat with some sort of heating device, etc.

You could replace the heating elements and still not solve the problem. Obtain the diagnosis instructions for your car and follow them!
Old 01-20-11, 11:13 AM
gm991
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solok25
if relay or fuse was blown would the heat buttons green light still come on mine does but driver seat cushion dont wk and pass back dont wk
anyone know the answer to this???
My drivers side heater doesn't get hot when I push the button.

thanks
Old 01-20-11, 12:18 PM
SRV1
Driver

My 96 has the same problem, the drivers seat does not heat up at all not the butt or the back. I never tried the passenger seat. The buttons both light up though. So if they are wired in parallel, then if one is bad then other one should work, correct?

James
Old 01-20-11, 01:05 PM
SRV1
Driver

Arrow Wiring diagrams and TSB

Here is the wiring diagram (1996) and the TSB for the 95-2000.

James
Attached Thumbnails Heated seats not working-heated-seats-diagram-1.jpg   Heated seats not working-heated-seats-diagram-2.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
heated seats TSB.pdf (446.1 KB, 874 views)
Old 01-20-11, 03:51 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SRV1
My 96 has the same problem, the drivers seat does not heat up at all not the butt or the back. I never tried the passenger seat. The buttons both light up though. So if they are wired in parallel, then if one is bad then other one should work, correct?

James
According to the schematic, you are correct, SRV1. It does appear as though each heater switch directly controls the current through the respective seat. So, if you see the heater switch light on, you do not have a fuse or relay issue. Just a broken seat element or possibly a connector gone bad between switch and seat. Possibly a bad ground on the seat element.

Last edited by randal; 01-20-11 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-22-11, 12:37 PM
gm991
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks SRV!
looks like I have a bad heater in the seat, switch light turns on when I press the button.
just sux its the drivers side and not the passenger side thats broken.....LOL
Guess I will have to deal....
Old 01-22-11, 05:27 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by gm991
thanks SRV!
looks like I have a bad heater in the seat, switch light turns on when I press the button.
I think there is also a relay under the seats that could have gone bad.
I was gonna look into fixing mine one day, I unbolted the seat, tilted it back, saw ALL the wires, bolted it back down. lol
Old 01-22-11, 07:12 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gm991
thanks SRV!
Depending upon how the switch light is wired, I suppose the switch contacts could be shot. Next step would be to pull the switch and check directly there.
Old 01-23-11, 05:19 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I think there is also a relay under the seats that could have gone bad.
I was gonna look into fixing mine one day, I unbolted the seat, tilted it back, saw ALL the wires, bolted it back down. lol
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a diagnostic procedure for the seat heater system for each model and year. The diagnostic procedure for my 2000 LS400 is four pages long and mainly involves testing pins on connectors for continuity or resistance.

Follow the seat heater diagnostic procedure for your car and there will be NO GUESSING as to what the problem is.
Old 12-02-12, 06:37 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kicking this back up as i'm about to order the service manual(s) but do i need the service/repair manual, the Wiring diagram manual or both?
Also, does it matter if it's year specific or will a different year from te same chassis work?
eg: i have a 96, will a 97 work or will there be enough differences that i'll be chasing my tail?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated seats not working