LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car will not start!! Please Help!!

Old 07-31-12, 04:45 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start!! Please Help!!

I have a '91 LS400, I recently changed my valve cover gaskets and grommets along with my pcv valve and misc hoses that were all dry rotted. After completing the job I tried to start my car and it would not turn over. It sounds like the starter is clicking and it smells like fuel but will still not start. The curious thing is that now I cannot remove the key from the ignition and it will not turn past acc, it will only turn towards on (to start to car). I am baffled by this and am not sure what to do now, has anyone had this problem before or can anyone shed any light on what the problem is??? I really need help on this one it is driving me crazy.
Old 07-31-12, 04:57 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow, that does sound weird. Did you try disconnecting the negative and resetting the ECU? Are you sure you did not break any electrical connections or forget to plug in anything that you disconnected when fixing the valve cover gaskets? The clicking sound when trying to start an engine usually means bad solenoid at the starter.
Old 07-31-12, 05:03 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Wow, that does sound weird. Did you try disconnecting the negative and resetting the ECU? Are you sure you did not break any electrical connections or forget to plug in anything that you disconnected when fixing the valve cover gaskets? The clicking sound when trying to start an engine usually means bad solenoid at the starter.
I did try to reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative terminal, honestly I had to disconnect it in order to change the gaskets but it is still stuck. I dont believe i forgot anything, i double even triple checked all the wires and hoses. I could only think that it went into some sort of "safety" mode and is not allowing it to start but it attempts to start. I dont believe its a bad solenoid, it had no problems clicking over before i changed the gaskets and it sounds like the starter is turning over...I would hate to have to retake everything apart and redo it just to make sure but I might have to..
Old 07-31-12, 05:09 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

What really concerns me is the fact that it will not release my key from the ignition, this leads me to believe it is in some sort of safety mode. I remember when my door cylinder seized up it would not allow me to turn on the car without turning that cylinder but it was much different, when it did that the lights would all turn on but the starter wouldnt turn over, now its attempting to turn over but feels like it is not getting spark. I check all my wires and plugs and they are all in the correct order so I am still puzzled...
Old 07-31-12, 05:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, you should of disconnected the negative before doing any work that involves disconnecting anything electrical. I have never heard of a fail safe mode preventing the car from turning over. With the starter it either turns the engine over or does not, well, unless it is not engaging the flex plate and just spins freely.
Old 07-31-12, 05:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Another idea, try moving the gear selector down to drive and then back up to park. If for some reason the car thinks you are not in park it will prevent you from removing the key. Otherwise, it might be a bad tumbler in the ignition switch.
Old 07-31-12, 05:45 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Another idea, try moving the gear selector down to drive and then back up to park. If for some reason the car thinks you are not in park it will prevent you from removing the key. Otherwise, it might be a bad tumbler in the ignition switch.
I did try moving through the gears multiple times (with the battery connected and disconnected). It may be the tumbler but not sure why it would go bad now, unless it was incredibly bad timing. The reason I think it might be in some sort of "safety" mode is because when I was half way through the project I had to call it quits for the day and reconnected the battery while everything was disassembled and turned the key to acc to roll up the windows, that is when the key became stuck...
Old 07-31-12, 07:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

On the topside back around the intake plenum, go through all those hoses and cables to make sure they are free and not binding on each other. Especially the throttle cable and associated linkage.
Old 07-31-12, 08:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you did make sure the steering wheel lock didnt randomly come on, right?
Old 08-01-12, 06:55 AM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you did make sure the steering wheel lock didnt randomly come on, right?
Yes, trust me it is not something that simple.
Old 08-01-12, 06:57 AM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
On the topside back around the intake plenum, go through all those hoses and cables to make sure they are free and not binding on each other. Especially the throttle cable and associated linkage.
I will check that today. But that still dosnt explain why my key is stuck in the ignition..
Old 08-01-12, 07:30 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

So you have fuel and not spark, check ignition plug in the front of the engine, coils,with valve cover gaskets replaced all you did was removed the wires and set them to the side make sure you have all the plug wires plugged back in the right order. With the problem of not being able to remove the key it sounds like the car is not seeing that you're in "park" mode, i know you said you checked it but maybe try wiggle the shifter to make sure its in park and remove the key.

Just check over everything once more, there shouldn't be a reason for it not to start since you didn't do anything else.
Old 08-01-12, 08:16 AM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by akitomk3
So you have fuel and not spark, check ignition plug in the front of the engine, coils,with valve cover gaskets replaced all you did was removed the wires and set them to the side make sure you have all the plug wires plugged back in the right order. With the problem of not being able to remove the key it sounds like the car is not seeing that you're in "park" mode, i know you said you checked it but maybe try wiggle the shifter to make sure its in park and remove the key.

Just check over everything once more, there shouldn't be a reason for it not to start since you didn't do anything else.
I am going to check it all over after work today. I feel the same way it should just start up because the only thing that I touched involving ignition was the plugs, which are in the correct order. I actually did get the key out today, I had to move the shifter into park and saw at the steering wheel before it reluctantly came free. Ill let everyone know what happens tonight. Also I was wondering if there is a specific way I need to plug in (what I assume is) the tps? It is what connects to the throttle body and has 2 prongs on it. I plug it in so that it catches on the plastic tabs and moves with the throttle cable. I feel like I did it correctly but I wanted to make sure as I know that is important. Thanks
Old 08-01-12, 09:54 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Nice!! Idk if having the tps plugged in the wrong way will cause the starting problem. I'm pretty sure you can only plug it in one with one direction (don't quote me on that) , also it will help to look at the clip on the harness side, its going to be awkward and might not be reachable if the tps was plugged in the wrong way.
Old 08-01-12, 07:53 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

I have checked everything over, and it still refuses to start...I am extremely frustrated with this because I have had to get rides to work everyday now...I tried putting the tps sensor in every possible fashion is could be and nothing. I am completely stumped, I love my car but sometimes I wish it wasnt so temperamental. I am afraid if I dont get it figured out tomorrow I will have to get it towed into the dealership and that will cost me $$$$$ which I dont have...fml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car will not start!! Please Help!!