LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 09:17 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by python
wow...comming along nicely, this is something u dont c 2 often....thank goodness
Thanks man, I appreciate the comment and thread cruisin'. The only thinkg holding me back is time, and money.
Old 05-04-09, 09:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn dude, great buildup... i need to do my valve cover gaskets...theyre leaking .
Old 05-05-09, 06:04 PM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
damn dude, great buildup... i need to do my valve cover gaskets...theyre leaking .
Thank you very much, too bad you don't live in the twin cities area otherwise I would do it a more than fair price. My labor rate is way cheaper than anyone's.

Update - Today, I woke up and went to my buddies metal shop. He was not there, but his father showed me how to use the machines. It ended up taking me about 45 minutes to make, and about another hour 1 paint and let dry. I know they are not perfect or cnc'd, but they will be fine for my application, and they were FREE! If anyone is interested in a set, I will be willing to make more, or have him make some for a few bucks.

Here is the visible plate, I choose to keep it as square as possible to make it simple.

Although it doesn't look too much like an LS, it is. By the time I had gotten there, the front end, driver's door, sunroof, radio/hvac, and an ecu were removed. I ended up with a number of things, including a rear bumper.

Here is how I made the 30 minute drive home. I almost left the bumper at the yard, but the guy there was an *******, and wouldn't let me store it. He said, "you can leave it outside in the lot, but I can't guarantee that it won't get stolen, or put back in the yard...", but really after I have dropped over a grand here.... So I made it fit, and I drove home like this. Luckily no rips or scratching...

Today I did very little, besides making those block off plates. I most of the working day fitting my GS with Daizen sway bar and steering rack bushings, even though it rained. The difference is noticeable, what was I waiting for? I also put on my plug wires, but didn't hook them up yet due to being lazy, plus school, and other priorities. Here is how I ended the day, I am hoping to start the car tomorrow.

Thanks for coming by, and I will let you guys know how it goes...
Old 05-05-09, 07:32 PM
bokomba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the look of the power steering pump it may be the power steering fluid is causing the smoking. theres an "idle up" vavle on the pump that goes bad and lets the fluid into your throttle body. i would check that out first
Old 05-06-09, 12:46 PM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by bokomba
by the look of the power steering pump it may be the power steering fluid is causing the smoking. theres an "idle up" vavle on the pump that goes bad and lets the fluid into your throttle body. i would check that out first
I'm not sure you have subscribed to the whole thread. I purchased it off of craigslist for $400, with the intent of just replacing the valve, and few other things. Upon disassembling the motor, I ended up not being able to take #6 spark plug out, so I had to pull the head off. I have replace almost every gasket I could, except for the main seals. I ended up buying an SC400 power steering pump, as it doesn't have the am IACV. I have almost rebuilt this engine, with exception to the pistons, crank, rods, and bearings. Everything else is new, rebuilt, or cleaned.

Update. I am seconds away from starting the car, I only need Dexron for my ps pump, then I am ready to start. I am on my way now to the store to pick some up. I will let you guys know if anything happens in the mean time, thanks for the advice and coming by.
Old 05-06-09, 12:50 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats the total $$ thus far?
Old 05-06-09, 04:43 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Hey at least it has traction control n seat heater =]
Old 05-06-09, 06:16 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude i have to give you mad mad props for a job well done. i cannot wait to see the results. please make sure to videotape this!

I love OEM parts too man. they are just plain superior.

what are your plans for the suspension and interior? LS430 seats? i will be watching this thread alot man
Old 05-06-09, 10:34 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Very nice job with the rebuild. Best of luck, cheers
Old 05-07-09, 01:14 PM
3UZFTE

It started. I only have the "factory headers" on, nothing nothing from cats back... So I have only let it run for about 30 seconds at a time. I don't have a video camera, so I have to borrow the old ladies. Unfortunetly I have school until around 9:30 pm, and it will be to dark to start with just exhaust manis on. No check engine light! My gauge cluster works, all buls are good, etc. Man, am I happy or what...?

Originally Posted by car_lost
So whats the total $$ thus far?
So far..
Car $400, OEM parts $650, other parts $400, Tools $40, 30 hrs. +/- a few, in labor. I still plan for about $75 to reweld my exhaust where I cut it in half, $100 for a front bumper, $25 for pass. window regulator, $150 +/- pair of front seats, $300-400 for GS or IS wheels and tires, $200 for standard shocks..... anything more? Right now I have about $1,500 in it, I plan on about $2,300. I hope to sell it for around $3,000, if not, I will keep it and possibly sell my 2GS.

Originally Posted by omarg
what are your plans for the suspension and interior? LS430 seats? i will be watching this thread alot man
Plans... hrmm, I have a lot. But financially speaking.... I am just trying to find good deal, as there are tons of LS4s out there still today. Now that I own an LS, I still see people driving them ALL the time! As I said above, I plan on picking up some later model LS400 or 430 seats, if I can find some for the right price. Suspension, I will pretty much just go with some standard shocks from the parts house as they are just fine for my application. I am pretty much an OEM guy, except for when it doesn't need to be, i.e. shocks., So I will not adjust the stance, ride height, or anything else, I just want an clean LS4.

Originally Posted by Bali26
Very nice job with the rebuild. Best of luck, cheers
Thank you very much.
Old 05-07-09, 07:11 PM
3UZFTE

Today.... I called around and got some exhaust pricing, I found a shop that would do it for $25 a side. Since the engine is pretty much complete, and ready to go, except for exhaust, I started on other task.. (not homework)
Antenna

Rear bumper, got that pancake butt...

Tomorrow, I'm mounting my new bumper. I also have a little leak around the tranny pan, so I will be dropping the pan on the tranny, cleaning it, re-silicone, and refilling it with T-IV, pretty sure it was running dex/merc fluid, some people..... Possibly get it over to the exhaust shop to have the exhaust re welded if there's time. There is an "IS" meet this weekend, which I will be bring my 2GS, and hopefully my 1LS if it's not running straight exhaust manis.

Thanks for coming by today. I promise tomorrow you will have a video of my car starting up, either with or without the exhaust hooked up... Why not both?

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 05-07-09 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 09:11 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks like shes coming together nicely....thanks for the additional pictures.
Old 05-11-09, 10:03 AM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Hey !!! Where's the next chapter? I'm waiting for the happy ending.
Old 05-11-09, 10:10 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow...give you mad props for bringing her to the life...its a shame how some people ruin such a fantastic car...Can't wait to see the finished product
Old 05-12-09, 01:24 AM
Zero_One
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

nice find. GL with the new project. My 91 had a bad acv on the ps pump that sucked up a ton of ps fluid. Made a huge difference when I changed it. At least you wont have to worry about that now. Wish my 91 had the gray int!

Last edited by Zero_One; 05-12-09 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.