LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 Lexus LS 400 Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 06:55 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Lexus LS 400 Maintenance Questions

Alright I am going to fit this all into one post here.

I bought my Lexus exactly 2 years ago and have done no maintenance since other then regular synthetic oil changes, replaced both front and rear brakes, had to replace an 02 Sensor (Front Drivers Side) and that is about it. I also topped up the Power Steering fluid myself but did not flush.

When I purchased the car it had all regular maintenance done and up to date at the Lexus dealership and was at 182,000 KMS or 113,750 Miles.

It is currently at 204,000 KMS (127,500 Miles).

Timing Belt was done at I believe 128,000 KMS which is 80 KMS so a little shy of the 90k service.

All in all the car appears to be in perfect running condition although I noticed when I first start the car and it is idling I can feel the vibrations a little bit until it warms up. It cold start idles at around 1400 RPM and when it is warmed up it seems to be around 400 RPM (Is this a bit low?)

Is there any important maintenance required at this point aside from standard items? The 120K (Miles) service would have been in between where the KMS are at now and when I bought it. I cannot find out what that service entails but did a lot of searching.

I plan on doing the following:

Replace all spark plugs
Flush the transmission fluid and differential fluid
Perhaps flush the power steering fluid and do a coolant change.

Is there anything else I should be doing IE checking the engine and transmission mounts etc? PCV Valves etc...

Also to keep it all in one post. When I start my car in the morning and drive, when I accelerate the vehicle I can hear a clicking or rattling sound from the engine area... I read something about this earlier but can't recall the issue but I remember it being a common problem amount LS400's. Any insight on this?

I also have "Off Throttle Shock" and was curious if that damages the engine (Lexus Dealership says it does not) but it is definitely expensive to repair.

The only other issue is my turn signals work about 50% of the time.. Sometimes they go on and then turn off or sometimes the turn signal light will just remain solid on the dashboard but they will not be operating and other times they just work.

Appreciate any responses and as much insight as possible would be great... Back to reading more threads for me. I'd like to keep this car for a long long time.
Old 02-18-09, 07:00 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Also and I know the owners manual states it is unnecessary but do you guys warm your car up in the mornings? Until the RPM drops down below 1000?
Old 02-18-09, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dont need to, will be faster if you drive it.

and normal idle for a 95 is 650+/- 100rpm iirc.
Old 02-18-09, 08:41 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Thats what I figured so it is a bit low... guess I'll be having them check that out soon although I haven't had any stall problems with it.

Thanks Drifter
Old 02-19-09, 05:46 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately do a thorough cleaning of the throttle body as deposits accumulate over time...Fuel injection treatment also helpful (the 100.00 version of running chemicals through the fuel injectors) You will notice an immediate difference after doing the above...
Old 02-19-09, 09:10 AM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Ok I will do the fuel injection just for good luck and the cleaning of the throttle body. Want to put about 600 into the car maintenance right now in tune ups so hopefully I can get a fair amount of work covered. Usually get it done at the dealership so it is a bit more of course
Old 02-19-09, 10:23 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps flush the power steering fluid
When you do, be sure to remove the solenoid that's underneath on the PS rack and clean the screen. It's done to minimize presure build-up in the PS system which causes leaks.

When I start my car in the morning and drive, when I accelerate the vehicle I can hear a clicking or rattling sound from the engine area
Your valves need adjusting, my 90 had that bad.
Old 02-19-09, 11:29 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaizze
I also have "Off Throttle Shock" and was curious if that damages the engine (Lexus Dealership says it does not) but it is definitely expensive to repair.
Check your differential bushings. I have a severe case of "Off Throttle Shock" also. All three of my bushings were completely destroyed. I replaced the front one already and noticed the rears were toast. Have somebody shift the transmission (with the parking brake and brakes on) between D and R. I bet you see that Diff floating around back there.

I have the rear bushings sitting in the freezer waiting for me to drop the subframe and pound the old ones out. The rear flexible coupler is cracked pretty good too so I have a new one ready to go in. I'm 99% sure it is the problem.
Old 05-27-09, 09:44 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Check your differential bushings. I have a severe case of "Off Throttle Shock" also. All three of my bushings were completely destroyed. I replaced the front one already and noticed the rears were toast. Have somebody shift the transmission (with the parking brake and brakes on) between D and R. I bet you see that Diff floating around back there.

I have the rear bushings sitting in the freezer waiting for me to drop the subframe and pound the old ones out. The rear flexible coupler is cracked pretty good too so I have a new one ready to go in. I'm 99% sure it is the problem.
Shern,

Did you ever swap out the bushings? Curious to the result. I have a 91LS and I've changed out the tranny mount, propeller shaft and the three differential mounts. "Off throttle shock" is still there between 25~30mph.

Jim