LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 LS 400 Alert / Warning Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 08:51 PM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 LS 400 Alert / Warning Dash Lights

Hello! I am brand new to this forum and am looking for some feedback.

First let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE my 1991 LS 400. It was my grandmother's car before she passed away and I inherited it. Until I got it, it was garage kept and only had 60k miles. I've been driving it for 2.5 years and have had more and more issues with it since then. I am running at 98.5k miles right now. I completely understand that it is an 18 year old car and you're going to be running into issues that need to be fixed. However, I am at the point that they are snowballing and I'm debating the wisdom of repairing vs replacing it.

My current issue is my warning lights on the dash. Last week (after not driving it for 2 weeks from vacation), my Anti-Lock Brake light started to come on. It will turn on and off randomly while driving.

My battery died last week too, but I don't fault the car for that ... crazy Texas weather and a 3 year old battery will sometimes do that. I got a brand new battery from NTB yesterday and was hoping that the issues would be gone. Unfortunately not.

This morning, when I turned on the car, just about every warning light possible turned on -
- Battery Light ((literally 24 hour old battery))
- Parking Brake Light ((not on))
- Oil Warning Light ((oil changed 200 miles ago and the levels checked while installing the new battery))
- Brake Lights Warning Light ((both are working))
- Something else -- looks like a Federal Building. I have no idea what it's for.

These lights will turn on and off at the same time ... randomly. As a loose rule, they tend to turn on when slowing down for a stop light or stop sign and then turn off when accelerating. But they will also turn on and off while driving on the highway.

Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned. My very uneducated-in-cars mind says there's probably a sensor that is going bad. Has anyone experienced this and have thoughts on repairs / replacement?

Beyond that, my A/C compressor needs fixing because its leaking freon very slowly. I replaced the power steering system Fall 2007. New tires. New battery. All belts and hoses have been replaced in the last 4 years.

If anyone has a comment or idea for me, I'd love to hear it. Thank you so much in advance!

PS -- Anyone have thoughts on the Anti-Lock Brake warning light? I have not seen it so far this week. <crosses fingers that its gone>
Old 01-14-09, 09:33 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Ok, the warning lights have been covered repeatedly. In the upper right hand corner of the forum, you will see a Search feature. It will pop-up any relative terms you enter and search the entire history of threads in this forum. So, please search. You have a bad alternator.

Federal building is your coolant reservoir sensor. It will let you know if your coolant in your reserve tank is below recommended levels (ie FILL UP RIGHT AWAY IF LOW).

You could have a bad brake sensor tripping the anti-lock brake system, but I would first check the fluid level and see if you can bleed the system for possible air. Alternatively, check your brake levels.
Old 01-14-09, 10:46 PM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Thank you for the quick reply.

Unfortunately an alternator sounds expensive. I will take it into the shop in the morning and see what they can diagnose. Next question -- if it was the Power Steering system that caused the problems, is that in general worth fixing. I've dropped probably $3000 in repairs in it in the last 2 years, so I'm hesitant to address this next issue if there's likely to be a series of issues.

Last fall I had a dealership offer me $2500 for it in trade so perhaps that is still on the table. Obviously a bad alternator won't help the situation.

Thanks again ... if anyone's got an idea, let me know!
Old 01-15-09, 07:40 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

It's up to you. For me, I love my LS because its PAID OFF. Granted, the fuel economy is not up to where the newer cars are at, but its more than decent for a V8. I average 20 /24 mpg on my LS400, because I don't drive like I want to beat the hell out of it.

I replaced the PS Steering Pump, the alternator myself with hand tools. It's not really hard to do, but will take you a day to navigate around. My friend and I just recently replaced the starter, took us 2 days because we couldn't source the starter right away.

If you drove the car for 2.5 years (30K miles) without issue, then you got your investment out of it. If it is economically feasible for you to ditch the car and get a newer one, then go for it. But on the Lexus, 90K miles is nothing. I have double the mileage you have.
Old 01-15-09, 08:23 AM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

Yeah -- I do love my Lexus. And yes, it is paid off. I really do not want to pick up a car payment. However, I know absolutely nothing about replacing the alternator myself and would have to get it from a shop and have it done there.

The low mileage is definitely why I've been fixing it so far ... if I can get past these issues, I think it can last long term. I'm not getting quite as good gas mileage as you are, only about 18 / 20 on an average tank of gas. But it works for me, and it's comfortable.

Beyond that, do you have any recommendations for a source for an alternator (and a new A/C compressor)? And / or directions for how to perhaps do it myself? Or get my Dad or Father-in-law to do it for me?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-15-09, 09:14 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.lextreme.com/alternator.html

You can source an alternator at your local Toyota/Lexus dealership, or auto parts store.
If you going to do the alternator, you should replace the power steering pump if it is leaking as well.

http://www.lextreme.com/ac.html

AC Compressor can be pricey, I would change the dryer if you going to do that. My A/C works but makes a nasty whine like bees are buzzing when it is engaged due to the magnetic clutch going out. I am going to replace it when it officially dies with parts from a junkyard (I see 1st gen LS400s there all the time now.)

If you want to get better mileage, try replacing this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...read-this.html
Old 01-15-09, 10:31 AM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

Thank you much!
Old 01-16-09, 02:28 PM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Well, while driving to the shop this afternoon, my car decided it was done. More credence to a possible alternator problem. Had to call AAA to tow it to the shop. I'll let you know what I find out on Monday.

<crosses fingers that it's not going to break the bank>
Old 01-20-09, 02:08 PM
Chione
Driver School Candidate

The shop did diagnose the problem as a dead alternator. They also recommended replacing the serpentine belt while they were at it since the belt needs to come off regardless so there would be no extra labor charge.

Back in business. Thank you to everyone!