LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 10:10 PM
Corey6310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try running the car for about 30min then turn the dim light all the way up then down multiple times my car is doing the exact same thing and right now thats all i can do. noone here can check my computer since i have a 93 ls 400
Old 01-30-12, 06:55 AM
tom131
Driver School Candidate

I had a very simmilar problem with my "93 LS 400. Fixed it for $210. Had to send the cluster to South Carolina but they returned it in 4 days,,,like new compared to the flickering. Common problem due to the age of the car. They see this problem often and rebuild the power supply. They keep all the parts in stock and turn it around quickly.
Call me at 410 302 1322 I will give you the details on who to contact and how and who to talk to.

tom131
Old 01-30-12, 12:12 PM
moat
Driver

Originally Posted by tom131
I had a very simmilar problem with my "93 LS 400. Fixed it for $210. Had to send the cluster to South Carolina but they returned it in 4 days,,,like new compared to the flickering. Common problem due to the age of the car. They see this problem often and rebuild the power supply. They keep all the parts in stock and turn it around quickly.
Call me at 410 302 1322 I will give you the details on who to contact and how and who to talk to.

tom131
tom131: please provide us with a web link (instead of your personal phone number). This way we can check and see online before calling him. So, a business name and a web address please.
Old 02-01-12, 08:52 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

99% of car electronics failures (digital display board, ECU's, other electronic things that have a circuit board in your car) will end up being either a case of:

1. bad solder joints (reheat/reflow to fix)

2. bad electrolytic capacitors (desolder and replace with high quality caps of identical capacitance, but one step higher in voltage and temp ratings)

there ya go! - 99% of electronics problems solved!
Old 02-01-12, 11:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
99% of car electronics failures (digital display board, ECU's, other electronic things that have a circuit board in your car) will end up being either a case of:

1. bad solder joints (reheat/reflow to fix)

2. bad electrolytic capacitors (desolder and replace with high quality caps of identical capacitance, but one step higher in voltage and temp ratings)

there ya go! - 99% of electronics problems solved!
unless your ECT dies from age/corrosion, you short a circuit and pop the fuse, or a tilt/window motor dies of old age.
Old 02-04-12, 07:28 PM
benjanet
Driver School Candidate

Default less common issues with cluster - lazy tach and odo no-go

So after reading through ten years of posts on the instrument cluster I still am not totally certain whats up with my '92 LS400 cluster.

All lights are working, no flicker and no needle lighting issues.

My tachometer needle is lazy. It lays below zero with key on engine off and while idling. High RPM operation makes it move a little up to around 2kRPM. Read a few things about sticky needle landing zones, pulling needles off shafts to re-clock their positions too. I am going to check these.

My odometer is no longer counting. It is still lit, speedometer and trip computers still function normally.

Is there a guide with a list of capacitors I can order? I will just replace all of them if that is what it takes.

Thanks all,

Benjamin
Old 02-06-12, 12:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Is there a guide with a list of capacitors I can order? I will just replace all of them if that is what it takes.
the only type of capacitors with age related and/or manufacturing recipe failure issues that show up in electronics are the electrolytic capacitors - replacing ALL of the capacitors is a waste of time and money, just replace all of the electrolytic capacitors!

electrolytic capacitors are the ones that look like little cans, like tiny little coca-cola cans - other types of capacitors (e.g, tantalum, mica, polypropylene, polystyrene, teflon, etc. tend to have lives of 50+ years or more)

just make sure you order the exact same capacitance that the original capacitor was, and try and up the voltage rating a notch and the temp a notch - so if you have a 10v cap order a 16v or whatever the next voltage up is, and if it is an 85 degree cap - replace with a 105 degree if possible.

I buy mine here: www.mouser.com

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 02-06-12 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 11:40 AM
nap
Rookie

well i have been very lucky,just picked a set of clocks witch all work for £30 from a braker.
Old 02-09-12, 07:46 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

I used BBAREMAN through Ebay for $80.00 total. They went through all known issues, including dimmed needles which they made like new also. I can't say enough compliments about them. They also gave me a lifetime warranty, and had it back to me within 5 business days.
Old 02-09-12, 10:48 PM
moat
Driver

Default BBA REMAN and www.MrWhizard.com

Originally Posted by FireEMT978
I used BBAREMAN through Ebay for $80.00 total. They went through all known issues, including dimmed needles which they made like new also. I can't say enough compliments about them. They also gave me a lifetime warranty, and had it back to me within 5 business days.
I have read of good things about BBA REMAN on ebay here on CL as well. I was reluctant to use them because I thought to myself: why would anyone fix all these issues for only $80? (fix the power boards, 4 dim needles, fuel gauge, speedo and tacho stuck at zero issue.... to fix all these things takes careful work and time .... all for $80?)

I ended up sending my cluster to www.mrwhizard.com who also has a good reputation here on CL. I will be getting my cluster back next week. I hope all goes well.
Old 02-10-12, 01:43 PM
maxsprint
Driver School Candidate

Dr. Moat, any luck with http://www.mrwhizard.com ? How much you pay?
Old 02-10-12, 02:29 PM
moat
Driver

As mentioned, I will get it back next week. I am paying the rate he has on his website: $329 (to deal with all those issues)
Old 02-18-12, 10:00 PM
fc3s
Driver School Candidate

i think i got sluggish fuel gauge problem (which has been identified that replacing c142 and c147 will fix it) in my 93. Besides that, the temp gauge seems to be sluggish or not working properly. It moves and lit up but i just have the feeling that it isnt really showing the right temp range of the engine.

Any solution that has been suggested to the temp gauge problem that I might have overlooked ?

Thanks
Old 02-20-12, 07:00 PM
FireEMT978
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moat
I have read of good things about BBA REMAN on ebay here on CL as well. I was reluctant to use them because I thought to myself: why would anyone fix all these issues for only $80? (fix the power boards, 4 dim needles, fuel gauge, speedo and tacho stuck at zero issue.... to fix all these things takes careful work and time .... all for $80?)

I ended up sending my cluster to www.mrwhizard.com who also has a good reputation here on CL. I will be getting my cluster back next week. I hope all goes well.
I don't understand why you would potentially throw away an extra $130.00, or so, when Paypal, Ebay, etc... guarantee that it will be performed correctly, or your money will be refunded.
Damn near 3 times the price!

Last edited by FireEMT978; 02-20-12 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 10:07 PM
moat
Driver

Originally Posted by FireEMT978
I don't understand why you would potentially throw away an extra $130.00, or so, when Paypal, Ebay, etc... guarantee that it will be performed correctly, or your money will be refunded.
Damn near 3 times the price!
the reason is because I did not want to spend the time to investigate how much BBA REMAN will charge to fix the speedo and tacho stuck at zero problem. This is a problem that only occurs during hot summer months and it's winter at the moment. I am not even sure if BBA REMAN can fix this particular issue. I wanted to take out my cluster only once and have all the problems addressed. I don't want to do this twice.

BTW, I can see someone would charge 80 to 150 dollars for fixing the power board only.

My perception is the speedo stuck at zero problem was hard to pin point and fix, and that mrwhizard finally figured it out, and he had the reputation of fixing this issue over the years.

Last edited by moat; 02-20-12 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!