LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-03, 08:17 AM
93lexca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jim fixed my cluster circuit board too!!

I Just wanted to let everyone know that Jim Walker also fixed my cluster circuit board. I had the usual symptoms of the cluster lights not turning on until the car warmed up.

Jim is also flexible. He allowed me to send my circuit board to him and then wait for it's return. This allowed me to get my board with my miles still in tact. Although this would appear to be risky sending someone your valuable circuit board and not knowing them, Jim is great with communications and eased any worries that I had. He even sends instructions on how to remove the board.

Bottom line is, Jim is a great resource if you want to get your circuit board fixed at a very reasonable price.
Old 02-08-03, 01:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This will help a lot members here. Great job Jim.
Old 03-28-03, 04:07 PM
nstro
Driver School Candidate

Angry What was Lexus thinknig

Originally posted by LS400
Our first generation LS400's are 9 years old or more. Honestly, I do not think that anyone is going to recall a car that is basically 10 years old. Things are bound to break; time is the factor.

Perhaps us LS owners can maybe setup a large group buy (considering this problem is prone to old generation LS400's) with Lexus Parts/Sewell Lexus (a vendor here on ClubLexus) regarding the instrument cluster circuit boards/dash needles (the dash on my LS flickers as well).

Any thoughts?
What was Lexus thinking when they came out with the Electronic Instrument display. They should have stuck with conventional Instruments, I think we should form a class action law suit!
Old 03-29-03, 09:08 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Re: What was Lexus thinknig

Originally posted by nstro
What was Lexus thinking when they came out with the Electronic Instrument display. They should have stuck with conventional Instruments, I think we should form a class action law suit!
I have already submitted a complaint with the NHTSA and would incourage any of you reading this that have the similar problems to do so also. You can submit a complaint online here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

A lot of cars get recalled for less dangerous reasons than this. This must not be tolerated, especially since this is not just a lighting issue that is problematic at night. We NEED the gauge lights to see the instruments in all lighting conditions. I got a response within 10 minutes of filling out the form asking for detailed information. They are on top of these things.
Old 04-11-03, 05:56 PM
350z
Driver

Default you are not alone

I am experiencing the same symptoms in my 93 ls400. I recently moved from Arizona (where it is warm nearly all year) to the east coast. Since the cold weather my dash started flickering and when it got really cold, it would not light up at all until the car warmed up. well it has been working ok until the other day. now everything lights up EXCEPT the speedometer needle. I called the dealer and he said I would have to replace the whole unit. I was able to get the entire gauge cluster out up until those white clips/connectors. Does anyone know how to safely disconnect these things? I'm wondering why suddenly just the speedo needle went out? any additional help or comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-03, 06:19 PM
350z
Driver

Default I hope we can get a recall on this

I've been reading all of the posts here and I am sorry to see so many other people with this guage problem. I definitly agree with the cold temperatures being a problem. When I lived in Arizona I had 0 problems with this issue. Since moving to to a colder climate I've seen all sorts of crazy things happen. I swear it is like my car in going through shock. I am going to register a complaint and hope for the best. The first generation LS is a great car. I've owned a 92 and a 93 and they are better than some new cars out there. Unfortunately, with Lexus charging $100 an hour or more plus parts, this is not a feesible option to have fixed.
Old 04-13-03, 09:03 AM
mikekendri
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I had a similar problem, that was corrected by replacing the two top PCB on the back of the instrument panel with one from a scrap car, unfortunately, the milage is reading high now.

The fault bafled both myself and the dealer, and went on for months before I tried the replacement. It is caused not by a dry solder joint but by a faulty voltage regulator,

I was told that it required both boards changing, but I am unsure about this, as it is doubtful that two boards will break down at the same time, in which case it may be the one without the milage dispay on it

Hope this helps
Old 04-13-03, 09:51 AM
350z
Driver

Question gauge cluster removal (please help)

I have this thing just about out, aside from the orange and blue clips. It seems nearly impossible for me to get these disconnected. Please help. My car has been disassembled and sitting in my garage for 2 weeks and I feel like a complete idiot.
Old 04-13-03, 11:29 AM
93lexca
Driver School Candidate

You're almost there. The orange and white plugs are the hardest to get to but definitely possible. Don't give up, but be patient.

I have had my cluster out for about three weeks, working on the needles. I have already had the cluster worked on by Jim Walker and he did a fantastic job with the cold morning problem. However, the needle problem is different. The light bulb is actually a florescent bulb and Jim Walker can explain more if needed, but I am trying to find a bulb to fix it. I think I might be there.

The problem with the needles (in my untechnical opinion) is there are points of contact on both ends of the needle (see my photo under "Anyone know where to find one of these?" thread). The contact at the base has a nice solid "direct" contact with the source of power. On the other end, there is a special paint, or very thin wire, that moves along the backside of the needle to make contact with the second source of power at the base. I've noticed on both of my needles that the paint is peeling and a break in the paint, thus causing the connection to be lost. So, I assume that is why only half of the light works. I would bet 5 bucks that almost everyone that has the needle problem with only half of the light working, has the far end of the needle that doesn't work and the base of the needle works. My guess is the paint is starting to peel and the connection is lost.

I haven't had a chance to install my cluster yet. I broke one of the needles when taking it apart. I ordered five needles (minimum order) from a company online. They are similar to the ones in the cluster, but not exactly. Some modifications will also have to be made to make them work. I think I have fixed the other needle (which also only lit half way). When I get it back together, I'll let everyone know how it went.

So, be patient with the plugs, you'll get them! (sorry for this blurry picture but proves it's possible)
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! 00 bucks!!!-dcp_1971.jpg  
Old 04-14-03, 09:37 PM
350z
Driver

Default got it out (finally)

thank you for the advice. It looks like the blue clip was busted so I had to use a tiny screwdriver to push down on where the clip should be (to release the lock). I got it though. I sent the gauge cluster and my temp/clock lcd to Mikado Engineering today. I have heard lots of positive feedback so I am putting my faith in them. I just want to get my car back together as it looks horrible!

I wish I had the technical skill to do the work myself but I don't. I give you credit for attempting it. These cars are so intricate and tempermental. I have many problems on my car with the electricals. The car is just real touchy. thanks again and keep at it. I'm sure you'll get it.
Old 04-14-03, 09:41 PM
350z
Driver

Default bulbs along bottom of cluster

i figure while i have this thing ripped apart it would be a wise decision to replace all of the little light bulbs on the bottom of the cluster. i went to the auto store and no bulbs (big surprise). Is it possible to get ANYTHING for this car? Anyone know where to get the bulbs?
Old 04-14-03, 10:07 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

What is wrong with the gauge cluster? You talking about the needles or the indicator lights such as ABS, Break Wear Indicator, Raidiator Fluid Level, Oil ect...?
Old 04-15-03, 04:43 PM
350z
Driver

Default gauge cluster specifics

spxChrome...thank you for your concern and intrest. My speedo needle went out on the instrument cluster. I sent it in to Mikado engineering (along with my temp/clock lcd display) to be repaired. I was thinking since it is out for repair I might as well replace all of the bulbs along the bottom of the cluster (my outside temp bulb recently went out) just to be safe. problem is when i went into my parts store they did not have one and looked at me like i was crazy.

I was hoping someone might know where to get the replacement bulbs.
Old 06-01-03, 03:08 AM
shelby
Driver School Candidate

Default dash problems

Hi There,

I live in the Netherlands and had the same problems ( seems to be a problem with every <95 LS 400 )
flickering lights is the start and it ends with a complete dead dash and the fuel gauge will not work

This is a very costly matter, but found a guy in California who can rebuild the print plate and fix the problems.

It will cost you approx $ 195 including freightcost inside the USA
do not worry about changing mileage as he just fix your board

Guy is named Jim Walker email jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net
please tell him I've forwarded you ( or anybody else ) to him. i do not get a dime, but are just curious how many people can be helped by posting this answer

goodluck

John van leijenhorst
Old 06-03-03, 08:40 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to make this a sticky since this gets asked about a lot!

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!