LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Me and my 91 - A Christmas Story

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 04:57 PM
EastWind
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me and my 91 - A Christmas Story

I bought my 91 LS in Nov 05 with 167k miles for $2,500. Well, spent around $3,000 (timing belt, water pump, brakes, AC, tires, lil mods). I am now at almost 230kmiles. :-) But I digress.

It was a cold Thursday afternoon in December. Trust me, it was cold, because I am in Michigan. I turned on the TV and heard that it will snow 12-14" inches. I ran to the laundry room, did my laundry, packed my clothes, threw them in the trunk of the Lexus and left Detroit around 7pm en route to south. It was a beautiful drive, took 75S all the way down to ATL. The ride was smooth, the heat blew hot, my premium sound system sounds better than any other stock sound I have ever had in newer cars, and the LS400 averaged 24mpg! I was easily filling up the tank with $32! :-O. On friday as my phone rang and everyone wanted to know how I was dealing with the snow, I was happy to tell them I was 700+ miles down in GA and not seeing the snow, and the first question out of their mouth was, "How did you get there?" "Oh, I drove the lexus!", "The Lexus? It made it down there?"

I am surprised that people throw away money renting cars just to go on a trip, I am a firm believer that if your car starts everyday with no problem, that it will probably give you no problem on a road trip, so long as you have taken care of it. I stayed in ATL for a day, and went down to Orlando. I stayed in Orlando for a day and went to the mall. While I was parking an 01-03 LS430 parks next to me. The lady inside in her 40's comes out and says, "Nice car!", I smile and we start talking about the lexus. She asks me what year, and I tell her 91. She seemed really surprise, and was even more surprise when I told her the mileage and seeing my plates from Michigan in Florida. I told her I do like to upgrade to her car, but the car hasn't given me any reason to do so yet. I went shopping, spent the night in Orlando, and the next day , I left for Miami. Enjoying 70+ weather, enjoying the A/C too. Got to Miami, parked my Lexus since my buddy has an 06 BMW 750 and was showing me around.

On the night of 23rd, I got a call that my parents house was bulgarized. With them being out of the country, I had to go back to Michigan. I had a friend check on the house, the officer that reported there, relocked all the doors, and the alarm company said that the alarm was still armed, so there was no rush to leave, but my parents thousands of miles away in another contient where superworried so I had to go back so I can give em a detailed report.

On the afternoon of the 24th, I packed my bags, threw them in the trunk and started the lexus. It cranked alright, but didn't start! I could tell immediately that it wasn't the battery because it cranked quite well, and with the design of the LS and no start, I figured it was a fuel problem. I have never been so stressed, I tried and tried, and maybe 3 hours later it started. Before the last attempt, I opened the trunk and wiggled the wire that is by the latch, since I recalled reading somewhere that the opening/closing of the trunk messes with the wire sometimes. Perhaps that was it, but it started right up and ran smooth.

I hit the road back to MI first taking that 95N then 75N. It really sucked to spend Christmas on the road. Around 3pm while passing Lima, OH, I heard a thumping sound coming from my driver's side front end. I decided to pull over to check it out and BOOM! The car dropped, I thought the tire blew. But when I got out of the car, it looked like I broke an axle. However, upon a close inspection. All the lug nuts were off, the tire came out, and all the studs were broken! I called the insurance company to get a towing service and their computer was down! So they couldn't help me, even tho we insure 6 cars and 2 houses with them! They absolutely refused to help me on christmas day because there was no way they can supposedly verify if I am insured, this was after they took my name, address, location, policy-number, etc. I called a tow truck, and had him take it to a local shop, I checked in on the nastiest scum bucket of a motel. *PUKES* The next morning on the 26th, I went to the shop, and they guy told me he could change the studs, and that he did, and he ordered some lexus lug nuts and I was on my way again. Got to michigan on the 26th, and had driven over 3,500miles in 8 days.

I love my Lexus!!! I can't wait to get an LS430.

** Please use lexus lug nuts if you have lexus rims. I had non lexus rims and had regular lug nuts, but after I upgraded my rims to a lexus rim, I never replaced it with the lug nuts, this is why my wheel came off while I was driving. I have driven to Memphis and back, 2x (3000 miles total) during the summer with these same lug nuts. Sooner or later it may come off and it's not worth the hassle. The lexus lug nuts are $6 a piece but worth it.

** Does anyone have any idea why the car will crank really good and not start? It happened to me once when I was about to go to Toronto in Nov. I thought it was the fuel pump going out but now I am thinking the theory on the trunk wire might be it. On that day, I started the car, pulled it out the garage and parked it outside, then pulled the other cars in. After putting the bags in the trunk, the car won't start. (Probably messed up the wire) So I decided to go with the other car, took out the bags and put them in the other car and tried to start the lexus one more time and it started up. Any clue as to what is causing this?
Attached Thumbnails Me and my 91 - A Christmas Story-car-7521.jpg  

Last edited by EastWind; 08-17-11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 05:20 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by EastWind
I bought my 91 LS in Nov 05 with 167k miles for $2,500. Well, spent around $3,000 (timing belt, water pump, brakes, AC, tires, lil mods). I am now at almost 230kmiles. :-) But I digress.

It was a cold Thursday afternoon in December. Trust me, it was cold, because I am in Michigan. I turned on the TV and heard that it will snow 12-14" inches. I ran to the laundry room, did my laundry, packed my clothes, threw them in the trunk of the Lexus and left Detroit around 7pm en route to south. It was a beautiful drive, took 75S all the way down to ATL. The ride was smooth, the heat blew hot, my premium sound system sounds better than any other stock sound I have ever had in newer cars, and the LS400 averaged 24mpg! I was easily filling up the tank with $32! :-O. On friday as my phone rang and everyone wanted to know how I was dealing with the snow, I was happy to tell them I was 700+ miles down in GA and not seeing the snow, and the first question out of their mouth was, "How did you get there?" "Oh, I drove the lexus!", "The Lexus? It made it down there?"

I am surprised that people throw away money renting cars just to go on a trip, I am a firm believer that if your car starts everyday with no problem, that it will probably give you no problem on a road trip, so long as you have taken care of it. I stayed in ATL for a day, and went down to Orlando. I stayed in Orlando for a day and went to the mall. While I was parking an 01-03 LS430 parks next to me. The lady inside in her 40's comes out and says, "Nice car!", I smile and we start talking about the lexus. She asks me what year, and I tell her 91. She seemed really surprise, and was even more surprise when I told her the mileage and seeing my plates from Michigan in Florida. I told her I do like to upgrade to her car, but the car hasn't given me any reason to do so yet. I went shopping, spent the night in Orlando, and the next day , I left for Miami. Enjoying 70+ weather, enjoying the A/C too. Got to Miami, parked my Lexus since my buddy has an 06 BMW 750 and was showing me around.

On the night of 23rd, I got a call that my parents house was bulgarized. With them being out of the country, I had to go back to Michigan. I had a friend check on the house, the officer that reported there, relocked all the doors, and the alarm company said that the alarm was still armed, so there was no rush to leave, but my parents thousands of miles away in another contient where superworried so I had to go back so I can give em a detailed report.

On the afternoon of the 24th, I packed my bags, threw them in the trunk and started the lexus. It cranked alright, but didn't start! I could tell immediately that it wasn't the battery because it cranked quite well, and with the design of the LS and no start, I figured it was a fuel problem. I have never been so stressed, I tried and tried, and maybe 3 hours later it started. Before the last attempt, I opened the trunk and wiggled the wire that is by the latch, since I recalled reading somewhere that the opening/closing of the trunk messes with the wire sometimes. Perhaps that was it, but it started right up and ran smooth.

I hit the road back to MI first taking that 95N then 75N. It really sucked to spend Christmas on the road. Around 3pm while passing Lima, OH, I heard a thumping sound coming from my driver's side front end. I decided to pull over to check it out and BOOM! The car dropped, I thought the tire blew. But when I got out of the car, it looked like I broke an axle. However, upon a close inspection. All the lug nuts were off, the tire came out, and all the studs were broken! I called the insurance company to get a towing service and their computer was down! So they couldn't help me, even tho we insure 6 cars and 2 houses with them! They absolutely refused to help me on christmas day because there was no way they can supposedly verify if I am insured, this was after they took my name, address, location, policy-number, etc. I called a tow truck, and had him take it to a local shop, I checked in on the nastiest scum bucket of a motel. *PUKES* The next morning on the 26th, I went to the shop, and they guy told me he could change the studs, and that he did, and he ordered some lexus lug nuts and I was on my way again. Got to michigan on the 26th, and had driven over 3,500miles in 8 days.

** Please use lexus lug nuts if you have lexus rims. I had non lexus rims and had regular lug nuts, but after I upgraded my rims to a lexus rim, I never replaced it with the lug nuts, this is why my wheel came off while I was driving. I have driven to Memphis and back, 2x (3000 miles total) during the summer with these same lug nuts. Sooner or later it may come off and it's not worth the hassle. The lexus lug nuts are $6 a piece but worth it.

** Does anyone have any idea why the car will crank really good and not start? It happened to me once when I was about to go to Toronto in Nov. I thought it was the fuel pump going out but now I am thinking the theory on the trunk wire might be it. On that day, I started the car, pulled it out the garage and parked it outside, then pulled the other cars in. After putting the bags in the trunk, the car won't start. (Probably messed up the wire) So I decided to go with the other car, took out the bags and put them in the other car and tried to start the lexus one more time and it started up. Any clue as to what is causing this?

I don't have an answer to your question but it was a fun story to read. Lexus rules!!
Old 12-29-08, 06:46 PM
ur2slow1
Rookie

What a great story, thanks for sharing it. I recently picked up my first Lexus as a winter driver: 1991 w/ 80K miles and it spent winters in FL. No surprise about Lima and the fleabag motel, Lima is definitely a *****hole town with some very rough areas. Glad to hear you made it home safely, but I would surely raise some trouble with the insurance company.
Old 12-29-08, 07:01 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i would drop that insurance company and find a way of putting that story on the front page or on the news....thats unbelievable they left u stranded!
Old 12-29-08, 07:42 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 91 LS400 was my first Lexus. I bought it new in the fall of 1990. It made it 16 years to 2006 and 350K miles. It started giving me a few problems - first with the odometer going out at 263K, and the driver's seat wouldn't fully recline at about 300K. But nothing serious with the engine until close to 350K, when it gave up the ghost. I had it serviced regularly at the dealer, switching from the 3750 mi service to 7500 mi as I started to drive it almost all on the freeway at about 25K miles per year after 120K miles. Treat it well and you may get as many miles. I waited a year and then got my second Lexus - a 460L Exec Class in the fall of last year, now with about 15K miles. I'm now retired so I don't drive as much - so my 460L will hopefully last 16 years, with many fewer miles. I never expected my 400 to last that long. It was only in its second year of production when I got it and we only had our experiences with two Camrys and Toyota's reputation to go on.
Old 12-29-08, 09:42 PM
no1gsxr
Driver

Can't beat Florida weather. Two days after xmas took out my gsxr1000 for a ride with a t-shirt. It was beautiful out here today. Mid 70s
Old 12-30-08, 05:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

no1gsxr...i hope the dolphins do something this year....worst to first, amazing story line with the big tuna at the helm
Old 01-04-09, 03:24 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome story dude. My car just hit 195k and it's going stronger than ever. It was having starting issues earlier this season, but that was because I hadn't driven the beast in about 5 months.

A few things in my LS are starting to go south though... if I could straighten it all out by spring, I will be taking it to Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee/North Carolina, and then heading to Daytona Beach.
Old 08-10-09, 04:47 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EastWind

Are you going to sell your LS when you get your 430? Let me know, I'll buy it!