LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adjusting speedo nedle (it's off for ~10km/h)?

Old 11-23-08, 01:47 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjusting speedo nedle (it's off for ~10km/h)?

Hi all,

after long hours of first reading everything on this forum regarding instrument cluster, I decided to fix the damn thing my self...

I disambled entire cluster, bought some extra hi-fi lubricant (for very small and sensitive electronic equipment), and lubed all + made a plastic "blockers" so needles can't fall all the way down (and get stuck)...

Once I finished, everything worked OK, but the speed needle as it was showing 55km/h on the contact (car still switched off, ony ACC on)...
Then I went to lexus and got my self a new needle, and for now everything works good, needles not getting stuck...

My only problem is that my speed needle is off by ~7 - 10km/h and not down, but up, meaning if I'm driving 60km/h I'm actually driving 67km/h (measured with GPS with SIRF...very precise), when I'm doing 80km/h on the cluster it is actually 89km/h...
This shoud be other way around

Is there a way to adjust speedo needle or does anyone have any idea how can I adjust this?

Thanks guys
Old 11-23-08, 02:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
Hi all,

after long hours of first reading everything on this forum regarding instrument cluster, I decided to fix the damn thing my self...

I disambled entire cluster, bought some extra hi-fi lubricant (for very small and sensitive electronic equipment), and lubed all + made a plastic "blockers" so needles can't fall all the way down (and get stuck)...

Once I finished, everything worked OK, but the speed needle as it was showing 55km/h on the contact (car still switched off, ony ACC on)...
Then I went to lexus and got my self a new needle, and for now everything works good, needles not getting stuck...

My only problem is that my speed needle is off by ~7 - 10km/h and not down, but up, meaning if I'm driving 60km/h I'm actually driving 67km/h (measured with GPS with SIRF...very precise), when I'm doing 80km/h on the cluster it is actually 89km/h...
This shoud be other way around

Is there a way to adjust speedo needle or does anyone have any idea how can I adjust this?

Thanks guys
what tire size(s) are you running.....?

since its not a fixed difference i'd venture a guess to say your tires are out of spec

if not, you do realize that there is a +-2/3mph margin of error for most factory speedometers...
Old 11-23-08, 06:51 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Can i ask you how difficult it was to replace the speedo needle and does it need to be adjusted once installed?
Old 11-23-08, 09:53 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Tyre size is 225/60 R16" (I think that's stock, since it's a stock lexus rim)...

I know that factory makes speedos that when you drive 120km/h by your instruments it is actually ~115kmh, which is fine, but mine is other way around (?!)...I'm constantly speeding

Changing of the needle is easy, all you have to do is arm your self with patiance...
Take out everything (cluster) and all you need is one star screwdriver, nothing else...

Thanks

Last edited by Twix; 11-23-08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-25-08, 10:29 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Come on guys, someone must have some idea I can try
?
Old 11-26-08, 09:13 PM
lex94ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I recall, there is a screw at the end of the needle. I think it was there to distribute the weight and therefore to calibrate to get the exact speed rate. You might try to move the screw (screw or unscrew) to see if the needle move to the correct position.
Old 11-26-08, 10:59 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Now that sounds like a great idea !
There is a screw but I didn't know it distributes the weight (doe, it does look like it).
I haven't even tought abouth that

I'll try and let you guys know !

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting speedo nedle (it's off for ~10km/h)?-balancingscrew.jpg  
Old 11-27-08, 07:49 AM
dkinzer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex94ls400
You might try to move the screw (screw or unscrew) to see if the needle move to the correct position.
Be careful! On my '91, the threads of this screw had some sort of glue or sealer to prevent it from moving. Unless you somehow remove that first you'll probably twist off the plastic tab through which it is threaded. I know this from experience Fortunately, for me it was not devastating because it happened on the tachometer of the donor cluster. I was examining it to see how one might remove/replace the needle. I ended up swapping the entire meter which was much simpler.

I got my donor cluster on eBay for $35 plus shipping. Note, however, that it was sold as "untested, as is". Fortunately, all of the needles illuminated and everything seemed to be OK. The speedo works fine in my original cluster although I did have to replace the circuit board on the speedometer with the original. Prior to doing that, the speedometer would intermittently fail to indicate, sitting steady at 0 MPH while driving. Since swapping the circuit boards, all is well.
Old 12-03-08, 09:40 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Ok, I managed to adjust the needle (it is now only 3kmh off, which is OK), so the balancing screw adjustment works !

But, when I took the whole cluster back (It happend 2-3 times, i took it out, adjusted and then put it back) my fuel gauge went all the way up (even more than when the tank is full) and started measuring from there...On a bit up from half tank mark my fuel light started glowing so I went and fill the car up...

Is there a way to reset the fuel gauge measurment?
(I reseted the whole car by removing negative from the battery, and waited for ~30 minutes, and it didn't fix it)

Thanks guys

Bob
Old 12-15-08, 04:18 PM
lostboy
Driver School Candidate

A few years ago, my temperature gauge stopped working. I got hold of a new cluster, and transferred the parts over.. in to process of putting it all back together, we broke the neon needle for the speed. We swapped a few parts in and out and got it all working again, though it was sitting about 10km low. When stationary, it sat about 10mm below the 0 point, and remained about that far below while travelling.

After trying to figure out what was causing it, and attempting (unsuccessfully) to adjust the screw on the end of the needle, i spun the needle around to the 260km mark where it hit the stop. I kept pushing and it moved and when released, settled back to exactly on the 0 point. It seems correct now...

Too bad it took me years to get around to fixing it, and ripping the entire cluster apart when it could almost have been done without taking it out.