LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 1991 Engine wash now car run bad. [me like home sky is blue right now]

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 04:47 PM
newconcept
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 1991 Engine wash now car run bad. [me like home sky is blue right now]

I am new to this forum but I read a lot from what people post they are very knowledgable about their Lexus. My problem is that my LEXUS engine was so dirty after having the car for over 5years so last sunday 26Oct2008 I wash the engine leave the engine to dry overnight on monday start the car it run very bad it stall, it shake, the idle is bad, can anybody advise what to check please. On saturday I will check the TPS (throttle Position Sensor) and clean the throttle body I need help on what else I can check, before I wash the engine the car run very smooth after washing the engine it runs bad now the check engine light is on. The car has over350,000 miles and is still running good. A friend tell me it might be that the water gets into the spark wire there by leaking a spark that makes it look like the the car misfire so I need help before start working on it myself on saturday morning since I have the car I have not replace the spark plug wire replaced the spark plug once. so far is being good my advice don't wash the engine with water blow it out with compressed air.

Last edited by newconcept; 10-29-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 04:54 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use compressed air to blow out all the electrical connectors. There may be some residual moisture in those areas.
Old 10-29-08, 04:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you do realize that when you wash an engine you are generally supposed to cover up most of the sensitive electrical components right.....
Old 10-29-08, 05:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The spark plugs are reasonably well sealed from water when washing the engine bay. Most likely, you have water in one of the many sensor contacts or rotor-cap areas. Modern engines are not water friendly and more so with older ones where rubber/vinyl housings are drying out due to age and heat cycling.
Old 10-29-08, 05:20 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

and this is why i refuse to ever wash my engine bay
good luck, i've heard of people's spark plugs going bad.. or one of the wires or connectors related to them being soaked..
Old 10-29-08, 11:05 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have said,, possible water still in one of the contact areas,,possible MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor damage (depends on if you got this wet),, soaked out the alternator of another electrical component(if you didnt cover the sensative electricals)
Old 10-30-08, 05:30 AM
newconcept
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 1991 Engine wash now car run bad.

Thank you all for your info I will work on the car on saturday and post the update on saturday, by the way I covered some sensors but water still get to some.
Old 10-30-08, 06:51 AM
Phoenix400
GRIFFIN400 use you other account.

another advice if you ever wash your engine again...it is always good to have the car running when doing so.
Old 10-30-08, 07:47 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NEGATIVE. Do not wash your engine bay while the car is running. If it can damage electrical components while your car is NOT running, what do you think the consequences of current arcing while they are in use?

Proper way to wash your engine:

1) Make sure engine bay is nice and hot. After quick 10 minute drive. Engine and all electrical is now off. Disconnect and remove battery.

2) Cover all electrical components with glads sandwich bag or plastic wrap.

3) Buy some of that OrangeBrite or suitable engine foam cleaner. Spray liberally. Give it the suggested time to loosen the grime and oil.

4) Give it a wash.

5) With the baggies still on, go ahead and use compressed air (not the can stuff, from a compressor) and blow the remaining moisture off. Take baggies/wrap off and repeat, be sure to be sensitive around the sensor areas not to blow directly into them (like the MAF sensor) as it may damage them.
Old 10-31-08, 08:13 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would open the hood and let it air out in the sun all day. Also unplug all electrical connections and spray some compressed air in to dry out.

I had this happen once on my landcruiser and water actually got down around the spark plug boot onto the plug. I was misfiring in one cylinder which gave me a shake and a check engine light. I pulled all the plug wires out, sprayed with compressed air and was good to go.

good luck. and next time be very careful when you wash your engine.
Old 10-31-08, 09:16 AM
newconcept
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ATOYOT you describe 100% of what is wrong with the car, I was going to check the spark plug and the spark plug wire last but now I will do that first then work my way up to the easy one thanks guy I will post my update on saturday as soon as i get back home.
Old 10-31-08, 09:20 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

no problem man, i hope that is the issue.

This happens more than i would like on my landcruiser considering the deep stream crossings and mud holes i take it thru. I just need to spend a little money and get some new OEM gaskets and seals to replace the old tired and brittle seals in place.

Also, dielectric grease works wonders. Put it on all electrical connections AFTER you dry them out. It helps prevent moisture issues in the future.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 1991 Engine wash now car run bad. [me like home sky is blue right now]-dscn1565-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-31-08, 10:02 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

whoo look at that neg camber. Vip Yo.
Old 10-31-08, 11:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

pshhh, weak offsets
Old 10-31-08, 11:55 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

This happened to me when i first got my SC... definitly not fun, but good oppotunity to give your car a tune up

Buy new plug wires (OEM never go cheap with this they break apart or get mositure in it) and some plugs (Denso or NGK) and of course some oil, oil filter and air filter if its needed. Taking apart the engine is a pain, so if your down there you might as well hook her up!

Quick Reply: LS400 1991 Engine wash now car run bad. [me like home sky is blue right now]