LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

S&S Headers (and exhaust) installed *pictorial and video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 01:36 PM
Flat Four
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S Headers (and exhaust) installed *pictorial and video*

Hey guys, finally got to it. The poor car needed a large overhaul/ freshening up, so decided to do it all at once (headers, exhaust, new starter, motor/tranny mounts, camshaft/ cam seals, valve cover gaskets, etc, etc). First and foremost, I know it’s been said before, but anyone with an LS that is a few years old, should replace all of the mounts. The difference is UNREAL. Can’t feel a single shudder/vibration.

As for the header install, after getting past the heat shields, they bolted right up (use OEM Toyota gaskets, not cheapo S&S ones).

Ran into a problem that I wasn’t expecting with the bottom flanges, however. The flanges themselves matched up fine, but angle of the cats was “crooked” and wouldn’t fit when we tried to bolt them to the headers. I plan on high-flow cats eventually, but they were totally out of the budget after this huge bill. We ended up cutting the bottom flange off the header, used a piece of stainless steel pipe and connected the cat using the stock flange. The stock cat “inlet” flange was actually bigger than the S&S header flange. I was really, really reluctant to cut into the headers, but it turned out ok.

I knew that using the stock cats/y-pipe, adjustments would also have to be made to the bottom of the cats also (thanks Jbibby). The front of the pipes on the Y were shortened and welded back.

For the exhaust I plan on a 2.25” true dual set up (much like PureDrifter’s), but as I said, after all was said and done, the funds just weren’t there. So for the time being, I whipped up a quick, single exhaust that consists of a 2.5” pipe connected to the stock y-pipe, straight back to a Dynomax Race Magnum bullet muffler with a turn down at the rear wheels (as little bends as possible). Eliminated all 4 mufflers and resonator.

Is it the most refined system in the world? No. Is it loud? Yeah, kinda. Does it drone? Yes. But I have to admit, it’s kinda fun for now. It actually doesn’t sound bad…….very 5.0-ish, especially with the dump. I’ve a had a few country boys in Stangs and F-bodies rev on me …..funny! When you get up past 5000 rpm, the unique sound of the 1uz definitely turns heads and scares children. As I said, full dual system coming soon, but this works for now. See the vids (mediocre quality):

#1 Take off :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JqRqgdG-h4

#2 Fly-by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44me...eature=related

#3 Standing rev:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcEFR...eature=related

First impressions of performance: Jumps quicker off the line, from a standstill. The car seemed to hesitate and “lurch” from a stop, before. Now it seems to be more “awake” and it just goes! I know the headers are known to improve top end (which they do), but I personally noticed big gains in the mid-range. Especially at highway speeds. This thing just moves. The biggest difference as far as a butt-dyno is the feeling that it just takes overall less effort to move the car. Almost as if you accelerate without paying attention, then look down and realize how fast you’re going in such a short amount of time. Just seems as if the car is lighter.
All in all, the car is MUCH improved and sooooo smooth. Took a trip from Savannah to Orlando last weekend and got about 29mpg (almost 450mi on a tank), so that’s an improvement for sure!

It sits happy, now.

Thanks for taking time to read the long post. Just wanted to give you guys a play-by-play resource, especially for anyone considering the S&S headers. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Steve
Old 10-16-08, 02:20 PM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

LOL - this is awesome!

Sounds so...Corvette-ish!

Where did you purchase the headers from, if you don't mind me asking?

Props man!
Old 10-16-08, 03:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for the write-up and vids.
I've been thinking of a similar single pipe exhaust. That little muffler...way to much for me...I'll have to look into a quieter variant.
Old 10-16-08, 04:11 PM
Vander
Driver

Seems like anyone that gets aftermarket headers gets the S&S. Does S&S make headers for the SC400, or just the LS?
Old 10-16-08, 04:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

they fit the SC400 with some modifications.

the reason being S&S is the only reputable manufacturer for 1uz headers at a somewhat reasonable price.

CA smog is the only thing keeping me from these...

that single pipe jury-rigged exhaust is going to sap the power out of the header install, hope you get it done ASAP, and you may as well make the switch to a proper x-pipe config at that time.
Old 10-16-08, 05:10 PM
Flat Four
Rookie

Originally Posted by RandomHero
LOL - this is awesome!
Sounds so...Corvette-ish!
Where did you purchase the headers from, if you don't mind me asking?
Props man!
Thanks man. Not quite a Corvette, but it sounds ok. Purchased directly from S&S Headers. Had to wait a bit for another "batch" to be made....not always in stock.

Originally Posted by RA40
Thanks for the write-up and vids.
I've been thinking of a similar single pipe exhaust. That little muffler...way to much for me...I'll have to look into a quieter variant.
As, Pure said, I'd def go for a dual setup as far as power is concerned. This was just a quick mock up for the time being. And yes, this "lack of restriction" isn't for everyone.

Originally Posted by Vander
Seems like anyone that gets aftermarket headers gets the S&S. Does S&S make headers for the SC400, or just the LS?
There are a few manufacturers out there, but S&S are probably the best value as far as 1uz headers go. Search the forums for Jbibby's SC400. He's got a writeup about the S&Ss on his SC. They'll fit with the same sorta mods as I had to do.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
hope you get it done ASAP, and you may as well make the switch to a proper x-pipe config at that time.
You read my mind, Pure.
Old 10-16-08, 05:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a true dual exhaust from the cats. Will the SS Headers really do me any justice?
Old 10-16-08, 07:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they will make a difference but not a humongous amount, the LS has pretty decent headers compared to other 1uz cars, the JDM Crown for example had log style headers....
Old 10-16-08, 08:02 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow that sounds sexy, good job!! what was the total price?
Old 10-16-08, 08:24 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So on the LS the flanges mounted perfectly.
The only problem was where the flange to the cat met being off?
SO you did not have to raise the engine or had a hard time slipping the headers onto the bolts on the block?

Last edited by skperformance; 10-22-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 09:24 PM
Flat Four
Rookie

the LS has pretty decent headers compared to other 1uz cars, the JDM Crown for example had log style headers....
I dunno, these factory manifolds weren't great. There's a strange "log" thing coming off one of the primaries on the factory drivers side manifold. That was weird to see.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
wow that sounds sexy, good job!! what was the total price?
Thanks man, kinda hard to get an exact estimate since I did a WHOLE lot of stuff all at once. It definately hurt my wallet a bit.

Originally Posted by skperformance
So on the LS the flanges mounted perfectly. The only problem was where the flange to the cat met being off?
SO you did not have to raise the engine or had a hard time slipping the headers onto the bolts on the block?
Yes, the flanges on the heads matched up fine, no problems. It was just the funny angle of the cats when bolted to the headers. Would have worked if the header flange was turned about half a turn clock-wise. As far as clearance, getting the headers up in there, it wasn't too bad. But I did do the mounts at the same time....
Old 10-16-08, 11:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if you read the original header threads by JBrady, he stated that the headers were made to be bolt ons for 98-00 LS400s.

all previous years would require some level of modification.
Old 10-16-08, 11:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

nice job running the stop sign in the 2nd video
Old 10-17-08, 05:39 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that was the stop sign for the yellow car .
Old 10-17-08, 05:45 AM
Flat Four
Rookie

nice job running the stop sign in the 2nd video
Haha. Pure....always an attention to detail Actually, the stop was for traffic perpendicular to me (yellow Tracker in the vid).

Quick Reply: S&S Headers (and exhaust) installed *pictorial and video*