LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 C.a.i. D.i.y. ***pics Coming Soon***post Yours***

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 08:32 PM
1HRDLXS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls400 C.a.i. D.i.y. ***pics Coming Soon***post Yours***

hey all i did it finally and wow what a difference(especially in ect pwr mode)it makes to mpg and hp not so much torque. will post pics soon as my camera charges.I love the intake sound, other then my true dual this sounds good 2. Yea, i know lexus's are lux and dont mess with a stock car, but the curiousity is killed the cat and man the cat tastes guuuuuuud. hehe
Old 09-23-08, 03:25 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remind me to keep my imaginary cat away from you
aside from that.. cai stand for cold air intake?
and the result seems noticeable in pwn mode? cool
Old 09-23-08, 12:58 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did it turn out? Look good?

So since you're calling it a CAI I'm assuming you've cute a hole in the fender, how big is it? What tools did you use?

Anything other than cutting a hole (ie: Lexkost, or JBrady mod) will just be sucking in gratuitous amounts of hot air, and kill your MPG and overall power.

This is a REAL CAI
Old 09-23-08, 01:04 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooooo, can't wait for the pictures.
Old 09-24-08, 02:34 PM
UCF11
Driver

I have a DIY cold air intake on my Celsior,

No holes needed. Just plenty of insulating foam (dont worrie u cant see it, and all looks factory) I will have to get some pics up one day so you can see it.

Definetly heaps more power, I tried the lexkost style mod and the car just lost power, it had a little bit more throttle response due to less restriction but all the hot air just killed any benifit. The results would be the same with Jbradys.
Old 09-24-08, 02:54 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lame. Pictures and dynosheets please.
Old 09-24-08, 10:06 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

someone post pictures already.
Old 09-25-08, 05:10 AM
UCF11
Driver

Lame???

Yeah ok buddie more like you cant design a good cai.

Dyno sheets?

HAHAHA its a Celsior not a drag car why would anyone put it on the dyno after doing a simple intake mod hahahaha why waste your money unless you own a dyno. It definetly makes noticable differance to both response and power opening up the intake for more flow if you can also isolate it from the hot air which is easy done if you put some thought into it, but no one seems to do it, god knows why. Reminds me of the turbo boys with a pod filter right next the exhaust manifold :S
Old 09-25-08, 10:23 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dyno???????

Because even though you may FEEL as if it is faster because of the noise and throttle response, It may very well have lost power due to the fact that all it's doing is now sucking in hot air, and also a loss of low end torque.

There's no way to get an acceptable amount of cold air into that space where the filter is without cutting something up.

Bottom line, he did an intake mod, and that's cool. No need for anyone to get any feelings hurt.

Pictures PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-25-08, 11:20 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Why dyno???????

Because even though you may FEEL as if it is faster because of the noise and throttle response, It may very well have lost power due to the fact that all it's doing is now sucking in hot air, and also a loss of low end torque.

There's no way to get an acceptable amount of cold air into that space where the filter is without cutting something up.

Bottom line, he did an intake mod, and that's cool. No need for anyone to get any feelings hurt.

Pictures PLEASE!!!!
+10
Old 09-25-08, 11:50 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UCF11
Lame???

Yeah ok buddie more like you cant design a good cai.

Dyno sheets?

HAHAHA its a Celsior not a drag car why would anyone put it on the dyno after doing a simple intake mod hahahaha why waste your money unless you own a dyno. It definetly makes noticable differance to both response and power opening up the intake for more flow if you can also isolate it from the hot air which is easy done if you put some thought into it, but no one seems to do it, god knows why. Reminds me of the turbo boys with a pod filter right next the exhaust manifold :S
Lame as in no pictures.

You are knocking JBrady and/or Lexkost's intake mod (which others including myself have had tons of success with). You claim your method is infinitely superior based solely on configuration/intake temperature, yet lack to provide substantiated proof of your accomplishment (either through a dyno or picture). Capice?

Like Jcrome said, no need to get all butt-hurt...
Old 09-25-08, 06:00 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Just wanted to let all know i will be attempting a intake this weekend. used the same kit a month or so ago to make a buddies dakota intake and it worked great this one will hve a few more bends. and i already have the maf adapter plate.
Old 09-25-08, 07:55 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to partly agree with ucf11 , the Jbrady/lexcost thing is nice but is not a cold air intake unless like J chrome's pic above with no headlight .
I agree it 1 needs pics and 2 you have to cut up stuff and i mean more than the intake hose.
Old 09-25-08, 08:06 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCF11
I have a DIY cold air intake on my Celsior,

No holes needed. Just plenty of insulating foam (dont worrie u cant see it, and all looks factory) I will have to get some pics up one day so you can see it.

Definetly heaps more power, I tried the lexkost style mod and the car just lost power, it had a little bit more throttle response due to less restriction but all the hot air just killed any benifit. The results would be the same with Jbradys.
UCF could you get some pics up tomo?
Old 09-27-08, 11:04 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

for god sake, its alomost a week and still no pictures.

Quick Reply: Ls400 C.a.i. D.i.y. ***pics Coming Soon***post Yours***