LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Knock Sensors Turning off Traction?...or Transmission is?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 02:23 PM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Knock Sensors Turning off Traction?...or Transmission is?...

Hi there everyone!

Here i am again, posting about my 1990 LS400...

I have a moderate issue to address regarding my car and would appreciate any informative input/suggestions/comments/leads...etc...So just point me in the right direction please, lol...

Anyway, the car starts up cold/warmed up, just fine; however, the issue lies when i accelerate passed 3K rpm and there turns on the much hated...Check Engine light, followed a second later by Traction OFF. Both warning lights turn off whenever the car is started up again, but if i drive forward passing a certain RPM range, they come back and remain on.

I took it to AAMCO for a free reading of the codes and here are the codes that are being sent out;

1. 52 - No. 1 knock sensor signal

2. 55 - No. 2 knock sensor signal

3. 63 - Open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve (transmission code)

Just from a quick browsing of this forum, I'm HOPING that it's NOT the knock sensors themselves but possibly the "adapters/connector wires" that aren't receiving/sending the information as needed. Any ideas for this??...

In regards to the tranny code being sent out, the transmission seems to be working well and the fluid is good/shifts are smooth. Just a quick question (could be irrelevant)...When cruising in 4th gear at highway speeds...would you be at 3K RPM for approx. 85mph?

Aamco gave me an estimate of approx. $180 (two hours of labor-rate) in order to do a complete diagnosis of these issues at hand, but i don't want to spend that money (times are tough) and not have any significant progress.

Well, thanks in advance for all the help! I hope I can get this situated...
I want to handle this as it is the last "repair" needed on the car, other than valve adjustment.

Thanks!
Gracias!
Danke!
Old 02-21-09, 03:10 PM
EUBT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

What fuel are you running? You say the tranny fluid is good, but have you checked the level? I would check the connection on the solenoid.
Old 02-21-09, 03:37 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im wondering what fuel also...

though i havent heard of the lower grade fuels causing knocking, its totally plausible given the right altitude, heat, etc because this car was built for premium gas...
Old 02-22-09, 06:24 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

theres no way around it....replace ur knock sensors(about $125-$140 each).... since u r in there also replace the knock sensor connectors that are also a common problem (about $25 each from the dealer), i would also replace ur starter cuz its right there
Old 02-23-09, 01:06 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by EUBT
What fuel are you running? You say the tranny fluid is good, but have you checked the level? I would check the connection on the solenoid.
I always run Premium gasoline...i generally try to purchase Chevron-brand gasoline if possible. The level is fine on the dip stick for the fluid.
Old 02-23-09, 01:10 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by python
theres no way around it....replace ur knock sensors(about $125-$140 each).... since u r in there also replace the knock sensor connectors that are also a common problem (about $25 each from the dealer), i would also replace ur starter cuz its right there
Hmm, well, its just a time consuming job, because it requires removing all the "crap" (slang of course) on top of the engine to get to the sensors.

Oh and the starter was replaced right before i purchased the car, so that's already done with.

Possibly they yanked the connectors or didnt place them back correctly?