LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Battery battery battery

Old 08-25-20, 01:10 AM
Gcuarino
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery battery battery

If you're BATTERY 🔋 has been drained, left lights on, etc. Or if you're BATTERY is not so good. This alone can cause problems with electronics, and can also make it look like a possible ECU problem. After a hard or full drain on BATTERY then we tend to jump start and go on our merry way. Well let's just stop that and put the BATTERY on the charger and forget about it until 100%.
I didn't do this after leaving lights on all night. I got a jump and things were getting really funny in the electronics area. So I decided after a week of driving, starting every time, Unbeknownst to me my BATTERY was below 25%. So I slow charged it and it took all night 🌙 🙃 long.
I come to realize that driving 🚗 it would not have charged it to 100%.
So I learned something about my Lexus in that it really needs a fully charged BATTERY to be happy.
Please feel free to correct me about my findings.
Thank you 1992 Lexus ls400 108000.
The following users liked this post:
CurtK (11-12-23)
Old 08-25-20, 04:43 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

If you’re having battery voltage-dependent issues with your cars electronics while the car is running then you need to consider the health of the cars charging system and grounding points.
The following 2 users liked this post by sdls:
avhart (08-26-20), Gcuarino (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 07:45 AM
Gcuarino
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reply

Agree, but having a battery less than fully charged, and that amount I am un sure of, will cause component problems.
Old 08-25-20, 05:06 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

A fully discharged car battery can't be fully charged any more because of the sulphation and the lifespan is shortened. You should not discharge it fully. Only a deep cycle battery is OK to discharge almost fully. Unfortunately car batteries are not designed so. The battery company Yuasa's home page says, "To ensure the batteries are not allowed to discharge to the point where they are damaged (sulphated) or so incapable of giving designed service life".
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technic...ult-diagnosis/

Due to the sulphation occured, your battery's internal resistance is increased and the CCA is less than before. You can't expect a lot to your semi damaged battery. A good desulphator/regenerator can reduce the sulphasion some though.
Gcuarino (08-25-20)
Old 08-26-20, 10:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Gcuarino
If you're BATTERY 🔋 has been drained, left lights on, etc. Or if you're BATTERY is not so good. This alone can cause problems with electronics,

. I got a jump and things were getting really funny in the electronics area. So I decided after a week of driving, starting every time, Unbeknownst to me my BATTERY was below 25%. So I slow charged it and it took all night 🌙 🙃 long.
I come to realize that driving 🚗 it would not have charged it to 100%.
I have driven my car running only on the battery (dead alternator) until it was completely dead and car would shut off, until I finally changed the alt. I would just throw in another charged battery and be on my way, until it died again. (never a 100% charged battery) Drove like that for a couple weeks, maybe 800 miles. Actually made a 300 mile trip (out of state) and had to stop at Autozone on the way back to get one of the batteries charged so I could make it back home. I never had any problems with any other electronics during that time, or afterwards.
I would think, if your battery was below 25% and driving it "would not charge it to 100%", then your alternator was bad and that might be causing whatever electronic problems you have until you change that.

Last edited by deanshark; 08-26-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 09:32 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

My car can sit a week,2 or even more. I got a battery tender and put a plug on the front bumper.Every time I drive car I plug the tender back in.Battery should last a long time. Plus training for when electric cars are all we are allowed to drive,plugging it in really takes no time or effort.

I do not like buying batteries.
CurtK (11-12-23)
Old 08-31-20, 12:12 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I checked my two LS400 . Was sitting idle at ca 12.7 to 12.8 V almost full.
I have a volt meter attached when I drive.
It seems the charging system goes up a bit with the voltgage and then goes down a bit when it is considered full.
In summer it seem to be done topping up very fast.
The weak battery I had before threw warning messages CHECK WSC or simmilar which seems not unusual.
I think voltage went really low when starting.
Old 09-02-20, 12:51 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mikaelse
I checked my two LS400 . Was sitting idle at ca 12.7 to 12.8 V almost full.
I have a volt meter attached when I drive.
It seems the charging system goes up a bit with the voltgage and then goes down a bit when it is considered full.
In summer it seem to be done topping up very fast.
The weak battery I had before threw warning messages CHECK WSC or simmilar which seems not unusual.
I think voltage went really low when starting.
You should be seeing driving 13.2v

13.8,or even 14.2v right after starting.Mine is never 12.7-8 unless I turn on everything running at idle.Odd you have 2 that are. How often do you drive it?

Im full in its your alternator,you shouldnt eat batteries unless its sitting.FWIW,hopefully others will chime in on their voltages.
Old 09-02-20, 03:23 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I was unclear. Sorry .
Battery Idle => not in any use.
Hence ignition off and no loads at all for a minimum 3 hours or so.
Voltage then indicates well the charge level for a lead acid battery.
There are tables to find on this. Just Google "lead acid charge level"

For instance 12.60 V unloaded after a few hours means 75 % state of charge (at room temperature)
For a AGM (Acid Glass Mat) Lead acid battery .
Old 01-29-24, 08:54 AM
coppens1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Forum Members, I have found an interim solution to my problem of a draining battery, that has plagued me since July of 2023. I left my car with an Auto Electric shop with multitudes of diagnostic equipment for several days and they could not find the problem.

I went online and bought a Battery Isolator for $4, which disconnects the battery from the electrical system, when the car is parked. You only have to turn a **** on the device, installed on your battery, to disconnect.

I have used it for 2 weeks, with NO DEAD BATTERY. Eventually, when whatever is causing the problem fails, I will get it fixed. JC