LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing clear sidemarkers, 99 LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 02:08 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing clear sidemarkers, 99 LS

So I bought the lextasy clear sidemarkers that fit a GS 98-02 as well as our cars, but I haven't seen a good DIY for the LS. I assume the GS430 DIY I saw was pretty close, but I wanted to see if you guys had any advice.

Do you go in by taking out the fogs, or by removing the wheel well liner? Got pics?

Thanks
Old 08-28-08, 07:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

take out the fogs and then peel back the front most part of the fender liner.

you might be able to get away with removing some of the undertray and going in from there instead of removing the fogs.

driver's side is a real pain because of the washer bottle...
Old 09-07-08, 01:13 AM
jslionheart1
Rookie

For the driver's side of my LS, I removed the fog and peeled the wheel well liner back. It was a minor pain.
Old 10-07-08, 10:28 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Well even going with the advice of moving fogs and pulling back wheel liner and bottom (I did all 3) this had to be one of the most sickening little mods I've dealt with....holy crap those bolts were placed so poorly I could not fit any decent tool in there at all; I have big hands and I was holding and turning a tiny wrench like chop sticks in a 2 inch space. Then one of the bolts was sort of rounded off / stripped so I spent a good hour alone on that one. I finally had to get brutal and start bending the hell out of some plastic to get any semblence of a grip, there is virtually no angle you can approach them with and turn anything.

Well its a nice little mod, but the placement of those bolts is unforgiveable if you don't have tiny japanese hands. I guess it's like the muffler delete, some guys will have cars that takes them 20 minutes, meanwhile my luck is having corroded together semi-welded components that make it absurdly frustrating.
Old 10-07-08, 11:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
Well even going with the advice of moving fogs and pulling back wheel liner and bottom (I did all 3) this had to be one of the most sickening little mods I've dealt with....holy crap those bolts were placed so poorly I could not fit any decent tool in there at all; I have big hands and I was holding and turning a tiny wrench like chop sticks in a 2 inch space. Then one of the bolts was sort of rounded off / stripped so I spent a good hour alone on that one. I finally had to get brutal and start bending the hell out of some plastic to get any semblence of a grip, there is virtually no angle you can approach them with and turn anything.

Well its a nice little mod, but the placement of those bolts is unforgiveable if you don't have tiny japanese hands. I guess it's like the muffler delete, some guys will have cars that takes them 20 minutes, meanwhile my luck is having corroded together semi-welded components that make it absurdly frustrating.
which is why you get a femme friend with small hands to help you
Old 10-07-08, 11:39 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually bought the clear side markers, and never installed them due to the difficulty of trying to reach them on my '98.

Glad they are the same ones on the GS, because thats where they are now.
Old 10-07-08, 12:27 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

which is why you get a femme friend with small hands to help you
heheh noted for next time, don't know too many that would wanna stick their hands up in there

I actually bought the clear side markers, and never installed them due to the difficulty of trying to reach them on my '98.
That makes me feel better, I almost gave up (or snapped the last bolt) several times. No wonder the owner's manual said to take it to the dealership for a bulb change.
Now I have to re-polish my other headlights, those new sidemarkers are a little too bling!