LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 ls400 ignition coil replacement

Old 08-27-08, 04:56 PM
gildelaat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 ls400 ignition coil replacement

Hey Guys,

I am replacing the coils on my 92 ls400 after the loss of power situation; one question....has anyone replaced the driver side coil. I am having a really bad time trying to remove the coil. I can't reach the screws and assume you have to remove the bracket that the coil is mounted to. However, I cannot access the bolt on the block that the bracket is secured to. Not enough room. Has anyone removed the ds coil and can you help? Thanks
Old 08-27-08, 07:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gildelaat
Hey Guys,

I am replacing the coils on my 92 ls400 after the loss of power situation; one question....has anyone replaced the driver side coil. I am having a really bad time trying to remove the coil. I can't reach the screws and assume you have to remove the bracket that the coil is mounted to. However, I cannot access the bolt on the block that the bracket is secured to. Not enough room. Has anyone removed the ds coil and can you help? Thanks
Yeah I replaced mine... although it didn't help the situation with the loss of power, but never the less, the drives side coil is a bit difficult to remove, and the easiest way to get it out of there is by removing the battery and the battery tray. You will have much more space to work with, and the thay is only held by four nuts, so its not a difficult removal.
Old 08-28-08, 07:56 AM
gildelaat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. I was really struggling trying to access the inner bolts for the bracket. I will try the batter removal and hopefully that will make the job easier. Regards, Gil
Old 08-29-08, 08:12 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too have to undetake this task tomorrow. Is there a thread or a place where I can reference how to do this? Couldnt find what i needed in search engine.
Old 08-30-08, 09:41 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Today, I learned that the inventor of the 1UZ engine really is a sadistic, sick, son of a gun. Trying to get the driver side replaced was noooooo joke. Glad it is all over now.
Old 08-30-08, 10:02 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

working good now Tony?
Old 08-31-08, 10:17 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Running like new money now. On to the next parts update,,LOL!!!
Old 12-26-08, 05:56 PM
billj747
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you guys replace your ignition coils?

How much were they and were did you get them from?
Old 12-27-08, 07:51 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

The coils on mine were most likely the originals, and over time,like most maintenance items, will fail. This is my original thread with my problems
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-ned-help.html

As far as ordering them,,, you really wont find them at your local parts store. You can order them thru one of our vendors(check vendor section,, Carson Lexus,,Sewell Lexus, etc) I lucked up on finding mine locally, b/c I have a small off brand store local to me that had ordered them for another customer, previously, and he never came to pick them up so they were stuck with them. Price wise, they were not that expensive,, under $100 per side.
Old 09-23-09, 08:55 AM
dizzyd
Driver School Candidate

rehash through search,
Can someone provide a part #?
Gonna attempt to see if the coil replacement will fix my power losss.
Old 08-15-13, 07:08 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good day, can a bad ignition coil be causative to the stated problems in this thread ?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-to-half.html
Old 08-15-13, 07:44 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

just invest about 15 minutes, and you may very likely have your answer to your LS400 issues, go to my thread on the capacitors that I also linked to in your earlier thread, and look at the diagram in post #1 on how to remove your ECU, (make sure to disconnect your negative battery cable first)

then once you have the ECU out, make sure you have on all cotton clothes and bare feet, (for static protection) then very carefully open the ECU and photograph the insides with the best digital camera you can find, in a bright room or even outdoors in the shade (you could even use the camera on a high-end cell phone if it is high resolution, such as an iPhone 5 or Samsung GS3 or GS4) - you want the quality of the pics to look like the photos I posted in post#1 on ECU thread - then post the photos here, and Yamae and I will take a look at them, and we can easily spot leaking ECU capacitors!

now what else can you do to have a good chance of having your answer in 15 minutes?
Old 08-15-13, 09:34 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The vehicle is currently in the mechanic shop. I will try my best to get these photos asap.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-14, 05:32 AM
slentz1972
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Bad Ignition Coils

I have a 1991 Lexus LS400 an it started running very very poorly with no acceleration, I went through a myriad of things to try and fix it, even taking it to an automotive diagnostics place and they couldn't figure it out, told me probably something 'exhaust related'. I replaced Oxygen Sensors, Spark Plugs, Catalytic Converts that were fried, PCV valve then finally sold the car to my neighbor who's good with cars since I was moving out of state. He figured out that it was just the 2 ignition coils and this solved the problem as this was keeping the spark plugs from firing properly, which in turn fried my catalytic converters. He replaced both driver and passenger side ignition coils and it started running like new again. Just wanted to share my experience so hopefully this helps someone. Also I believe you remove the battery to get to the one on the drivers side.
The following users liked this post:
400asos (09-30-22)
Old 10-16-14, 05:50 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Did any of you get a code on the coils before you decided to replace them? I am not getting the power that I should on my '92 either. Already replaced plugs and wires. BTW: I had a short on the dr's side that was grounding out on the motor, which I fixed. It looked like I was getting plenty of fire to the plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 ls400 ignition coil replacement