LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

friggin seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 11:25 PM
Lvangundy

Default friggin seat

My driver side back adjustor broke on one side. The tilt adjustment for the whole back support of the seat doesn't work on the side closest to the center console. EH I don't know how much more money I want to put into it fixing these things..
Old 02-14-02, 10:05 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Back

The same thing happened on my '92. To repair it, I first removed the seatback rear panel held with two phillips head screws. I saw that the plastic connecting rod between the driver's side motor mechanism and the console side adjuster was turning, but not activating the console side adjuster. I noticed that the plastic rod was offset more towards the driver's side and slipping on the splined shaft for the console side adjuster. After matching the position of the driver's side back to the console side by activating the motor, I slid the plastic connecting rod more towards the console side. which stopped the slippage. I glued the connecting rod to the splined shaft in that position. It has been working OK for the past 6 months.
Old 02-15-02, 04:12 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go dadcat1,

Nice fix.
Old 02-15-02, 07:55 AM
Lvangundy

Thanks for that info, but I don't have the console side adjustor. Let's say the seat is three pieces total- the headrest- the back- and the seat. The tilt adjustor the whole back unit (the one that if you put all the way back you would be laying down) I'm guessing has a motor and 2 arms. The arm that controls the back side closest to the center console has broke. So when you use the tilt back button the back actually 'twists' down- one side adjusts the other stationary. I think I'll try and take off the back like you said and look around tho.
thx
Old 02-15-02, 08:39 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Seatback

What I was describing as the console side adjustor is within the seatback and is what you call the console side arm. The tilt adjustor switch activates the motor directly via gearing for the driver's side arm. The passive arm on the console side is activated by the mechanical connection via the hollow splined plastic connecting rod that is slipping on the splined shaft for the console side arm.
Old 02-15-02, 06:10 PM
Lvangundy

OK I understand now. One thing I can't figure out is how to get those screws unscrewed? I can see them behind the seatback storate compartment, but there's no way to get a screwdriver in there?
anyone have pics or anything?
Old 02-18-02, 09:18 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Seatback

The two hidden phillips head screws are angled downward under the seatback storage compartment. The screws are difficult to see, but the screwheads can be felt by sliding your finger under the seatback storage compartment. It's necessary to using a short handled screwdriver to prevent the handle from hitting the backseat floor.
Old 02-18-02, 06:31 PM
Lvangundy

I know where the screws are, the problem is figuring out a way to get a screwdriver behind the storage wall thing. The door is attached at the bottom so I cant go from underneath.
Old 02-19-02, 11:44 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Backrest

The screws that you are referring to at the bottom of the storage panel are not the ones that need removal. Those screws only hold the hinge for the storage panel. The screws that need removal hold the entire backrest rear panel that the storage panel is mounted on. These screws are hidden below the lower lip of the backrest rear panel and are angled almost vertically. Your head would have to be on the floor to see them. After removal of the screws, the rear panel can be slid down and off.