LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It has been too long...an update...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 10:02 PM
Masticore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It has been too long...an update...

I wanted to give CL an update on my 1LS. It hasn't been running since about February. Money is tight and i have no job. But i have made a little bit of income this summer just by donating to Biolife. With that i was able to order a replacement alternator and radiator. Also was finally able to get a breaker bar the other day, like PD mentioned in a old post, THanks.

I now need two new tires as my 2 fronts are flat....i have no idea how they got flat since my car has been sitting parked and broken down for a 6 months?

Was finally able to get the screws loose on the thermostat housing to see if it maybe caused my coolant failure/overheating issue. From what i could see the rubber seals are worn and cracked on the thermostat. The alternator should be here tomorrow along with my radiator. i still have to remove the current alternator, and im inclined to believe is causing some electrical failure in my car. The symptoms are again...

Dash light assembly and lights would "flash rapidly" and emit a "studdering" noise.
this has happened each time the 2 batteries i have replaced within 4 months since i bought the car in november. which in turn caused my starter failure fiasco. Well after replacing the starter, the same symptoms. My loss on replacing a good starter, Oh well.

after the coolant/over heating issue, The plastic nozzle on the radiator where the coolant return hose connects to the radiator totally disintegrated. and the crack in the top is still not sealed.
so i got a replacement radiator.

i also noticed that something was amiss on the vacuum valve near the water inlet housing. all i know is the part number. 90925-05075..it is circled red in this pic. The blue vacuum hose connectors on this valve have broken off some how? and no vacuum hose on one of the connectors? where do i find this part and the vacuum hoses to fix this? see the attachment.

all in all im still learning and really guessing cause i have not the money for the stealership, which i think is about 80 miles away, to fix it.
im still looking for a competent mechanic in my area. otherwise im on my own.

any help CL can give me im all ears...thanks Guys and Gals of CL

oh and by the way i took off that hideous gold plate stuff that came stock on my grille ...it is now shiny chrome that was buried underneath....all i needed was a bit of 2000 grit wet sandpaper to get that killer shine.

-Phil-
Attached Thumbnails It has been too long...an update...-099.jpg  
Old 08-07-08, 02:01 PM
bigste
Driver School Candidate

Make sure your alt is not wet with oil. If it is the steering pump is leaking. Cheap €3 fix.
Old 08-17-08, 04:15 PM
Masticore
Driver School Candidate

ok guys i put in the new alternator last week and then my radiator showed up this past thursday. Had drill this past weekend and just finished putting the new radiator today. im trickle charging the battery now. i have to replace the thermostat and the bi metal vacuum valve.. current thermostat has rubber seals falling off it!
after i replace those onto the 2 tires...Slowly but surely...damn i need a job. so far Biolife has financed all my parts...it feels good that my donation money goes to a good cause. It also feels good to do all the work my self. LEXLS.com is one of the greatest sites on the net...THANKS LEXLS, your tutorials are GOLDEN.

until next time, i have work to do.

-Phil-
Old 08-18-08, 11:32 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember to have the battery fully charged before you put in a new alternator.

I forgot this step once on an old car and had to replace the alternator again 2 days later...

Unless it was a bad alt that's the only reason I can think of it going bad so fast...