ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   What struts and shocks should I put on my '99 LS 400 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/371178-what-struts-and-shocks-should-i-put-on-my-99-ls-400-a.html)

jburtt 08-03-08 03:14 AM

What struts and shocks should I put on my '99 LS 400

I recently picked up a 1999 LS 400 with 85,000 miles and it seems to float down the road like an old boat Cadillac. I also have a 2003 LS 430 that has a comfortable, stable ride without being harsh or overly firm. I guess it's time to replace the shocks and struts on the LS 400.

I would like to maintain a comfortable ride and gain some stability without the harsh or overly firm feel. What struts and shocks would be best suited to my taste when keeping the factory springs? I just put the factory chrome 17's w/ new michelins from my 2003 LS 430 on it and it sure looks better. I think some struts, shocks and a 4 wheel alignment will get me back on track for another 85,000 miles. Are there any other parts(bushings,...) I should replace while I have my guy doing the struts and shocks?

James

PureDrifter 08-03-08 06:37 AM

for SLIGHTLY stiffer than oem without lowering....Bilstein HD all the way :)

and if you decide that you wanna go ~1/2-1" down, you can do it with the stock springs since the Bilsteins come with 2 perch settings :)

GRAND_LS 4 08-04-08 02:55 PM

I would change the strut bars while you are at it, and even the lower ball joints for even a better ride.

The Bilsteins are a bit stiffer, and you will the feel the road and its imperfections.

PureDrifter 08-04-08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4 (Post 3731957)
I would change the strut bars while you are at it, and even the lower ball joints for even a better ride.

The Bilsteins are a bit stiffer, and you will the feel the road and its imperfections.

but it will float well if you use stock springs :)

GRAND_LS 4 08-05-08 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PureDrifter (Post 3732372)
but it will float well if you use stock springs :)

You have a point there... never them with stock springs:D

Blavatsky 08-05-08 10:14 AM

about 6 months back I did all OEM KYB shocks, they work well. l-tunedparts.com or irontoad.com can help you there.

I just got fresh lower ball joints, outer tie rods, strut bar bushings, front and rear sway bushings plus alignment and it rides pretty damn smooth now. You may not need all that but for me just the shocks alone did not fix the ride quality.

atoyot 08-05-08 01:31 PM

are you guys going with OEM for ball joints and tie rods? Seems like the smart choice, but i don't know?

PureDrifter 08-05-08 03:26 PM

yea, OEM for best results :thumbup:

jburtt 08-06-08 10:56 PM

I notice the online oem parts source I'm checking out shows a standard spring and a heavy duty one. I wonder if that would take some of the float out of it.

Is there a good aftermarket spring and strut set up I could put on it that doesn't have much lowering and still maintains a good ride. I'm mainly concerned about getting rid of the floaty feeling.

James

PureDrifter 08-07-08 06:05 AM

its going to be there to some degree, the LS has a very soft suspension from factory....

Sportznuts 08-11-08 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jburtt (Post 3738542)
I notice the online oem parts source I'm checking out shows a standard spring and a heavy duty one. I wonder if that would take some of the float out of it.

Is there a good aftermarket spring and strut set up I could put on it that doesn't have much lowering and still maintains a good ride. I'm mainly concerned about getting rid of the floaty feeling.

James

Am I the only one out there who really likes the floaty feeling? Before my struts went out on me, it was an amazing feeling on the road. It seems like most of the board is trying to change something on this wonderful car. What's wrong with OEM?:uh:

atoyot 08-11-08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sportznuts (Post 3747978)
Am I the only one out there who really likes the floaty feeling? Before my struts went out on me, it was an amazing feeling on the road. It seems like most of the board is trying to change something on this wonderful car. What's wrong with OEM?:uh:

I like the soft ride. I don't like the "floaty ride". If anything i would take the stock ride and firm it up just a tad. Not much. But i'm more with you, i like the LS in stock form.

PureDrifter 08-11-08 01:02 PM

because my dad has one that's completely mint and i like mine slammed :p

rrj_gamz 08-11-08 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by atoyot (Post 3748177)
I like the soft ride. I don't like the "floaty ride". If anything i would take the stock ride and firm it up just a tad. Not much. But i'm more with you, i like the LS in stock form.

What he said...Btw, when is it recommended to change the struts? I have about 119K and the dealer said they were fine...

steveski 08-11-08 05:12 PM

I liked the soft, floaty ride for many years until I just got to a point where I was looking for more fun while I drive to work. Instead of buying a BMW or Benz I lowered mine, etc. Now it is everything a BMW and Benz are (handling) and everything they are not (reliable). :p