LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler delete review on 1st gen '91LS in Texas; legal for state inspection?

Old 07-31-08, 11:23 AM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler delete review on 1st gen '91LS in Texas; legal for state inspection?

Did the muffler delete on a 91ls per lexls.com(what a great site- so much great info and pics for the LS, I mean a GREAT source, no question-as is this site) in about 20 minutes.

The 91 has 3 resonators left on it, or a small cat conv and two resonators..

Love the sound...rumbles up nice at start up and through about 1800 rpm's. Deep and throaty for sure. Sounds like a sweet V-8. Idle sounds great. People look over at start up.

No droning in the cabin that is annoying.

When driving at 50 mph, the throaty sound can be heard a tad in the cabin.

Passed that, you really can't hear any difference above about 1800-2000 rpms. So, at 65 or so, it's sounds very similar to stock. From a start it sounds pretty bad *** for a big luxury sedan.

Since it's open and exhausting toward the sides of the car, you can smell some exhaust if sitting at a drive thru or in a car wash stall with windows down.

I did it for sound and a little bit of weight savings. Doubt there is any hp gain. Certainly none that would probably be measurable on the dyno, and my sotp tells me that while it sounds cooler, it's not faster. But the sound is wayyyy cool!

SO, MY QUESTION:

--iIs this set up, no pipes out of the resonators, essiantly open, legal in TX?

--Would adding straight pipes and tips(my plan soon) make it able to pass the tX state inspection.

Their website(tx dps) says it has to have mufflers to pass. Not sound wise, just to have a complete exhaust system.

Midas told me it would need mufflers to pass. Of course they sell mufflers by the truckload.

----Just wondering how the texas boys are getting inspected clear?

I plan on trying a smaller, non-chain muffler place that does inspections and see what I can do to pass.

If you have any ideas, thanks in advance for sharing them with me if you get a chance.

RG

Last edited by rgindallas; 07-31-08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 12:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

should be legal, even without the rear section. just say "it has a cat, then 3 mufflers. its legal"
Old 07-31-08, 01:00 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I did it on my car but did the pipes and tips. The inspection shop in TX won't know any difference, if you tell them the mufflers are under where the rear seats are (these are the actual resonators).

But to see cut pipes there, they will fail your visual inspection.

TRUST ME

PD-check your pm!
Old 07-31-08, 01:12 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input.

I'm going to head to a indy muff shop and see what they ch3ge to straight pipe me, so to speak.

RG
Old 07-31-08, 01:29 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

I'm doing some pretty cool rolled edged tips and the short pipe run from the resonators.

Total with install is 160, tips are 120 and I'm here and not having to track down some of the same quality and look tips around town or on the net. They fill up the slots nicely without being too big or too small.

I just gave the guy the go ahead and he's getting started. Pipe length looks to be maybe 2 ft per side on this '91.

I'll post reaction to the sound difference when it's done.

He says he would pass it on inspection, so I know where I'm getting that done after some used wheels and tires I am trying to buy comes through.

RG
Old 07-31-08, 01:30 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Post pics when done.

Here is mine:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...61&postcount=6

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=7
Old 07-31-08, 01:30 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no resonators whatsoever and MagnaFlows. It passed 100% clean in North Houston. The guys said he couldn't believe for the mileage how clean it was
Old 07-31-08, 01:39 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Ryan,

Will do. Am heading to upgrade my old blackberry to one with a camera. Not sure how good the pics will be but it will be a good test.

Steveski,

I hear ya. The midas guy said it wouldn't pass without muffs, of course he had a fat fee for a replacment set and I don't really want it muffled or I'd just put the stock one's back on.

Anywho, I'll see how pleased I am when it's done and I've driven it a bit and report back.

RG

Ps...it was an easy job. Didn't even jack the car up. Used the parking brake and wheels chocks for saftey. Did it at the local car wash. I just sprayed the sections to be removed with wd 40 before I left the house and when I got there, I brought up the lexls and jbrady tutorial on it on the blackberry and went to work. Really easy.
Old 07-31-08, 01:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

We should have a Texas meet when I am in town Sept/Oct. I just got back from Dallas/Houston (half my family lives in both places).
Old 07-31-08, 01:46 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

One more thing, I'm thinking the old muffs weigh about 12 pounds each. What I'm adding is at maybe 3.

RG
Old 07-31-08, 01:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the old ones are a LOT more than 12lbs/each
Old 07-31-08, 02:59 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the old ones are a LOT more than 12lbs/each
Pd,

You are prbly right, they didn't feel real heavy to me and I didn't put them on a scale, so my est. Is prbly conservative. I'll take the weight savings as a positive.

RG
Old 07-31-08, 03:06 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Tips look good and straight and even, if they move the muff shop guy said he would align them until I was happy.

I'd say from the drivers seat, windows up or down, the sound has been reduced by 25 percent.

Still has the throaty rumble at start up and a good sounding and feeling rumble up to maybe 1800 rpms. You can hear and feel the back pressure on decel. Sounds cool and louder than stock, but not really loud. All out acceleration is louder than stock but not obtrusive. I'm a fan of loud exhausts but on this ride, such a luxury car, any louder wouldn't have been for me.

It's all about choices.

Time to go clean the car and the tips and slap a little protectant on them.

I'm happy with the look and sound.

RG
Old 07-31-08, 03:07 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

for lack of pictures.
Old 07-31-08, 03:24 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
for lack of pictures.
I hear ya', point taken.

Let me clean her up and get my new phone cam going and I'll put some up by tomorrow. It's a 140 degrees or so here and I can only move so fast.

RG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muffler delete review on 1st gen '91LS in Texas; legal for state inspection?