LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

cleaning the TB on an LS with trac

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 11:52 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cleaning the TB on an LS with trac

I just received my throttle body gasket from RockAuto, so as soon as I get a day off I'm going to clean it. I suspect it's the source of my hesitation, low idle and mediocre mileage.

Anyways, I've looked over the LexLS tutorial and feel that it should be fairly simple. However, he doesn't use a traction control model in his illustrations, and I fear unforeseen complications. Aside from the extra TPS to unplug is there anything else to watch out for? Is disconnecting the cables as easy as unhooking them, or do I need to mark their position so that I don't screw up the adjustments? how about the cruise control cable?

thanks for any and all help in advance
Old 07-05-08, 01:52 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

There is an extra bracket and cable on a trac equipped LS, it looks stupid complicated to remove the entire throttle body (anyone want an OEM fel-pro TB gasket? 50c worth of postage....). I opted to clean the Lextreme method, with a disconnected throttle cable and a screwdriver handle holding the TB open at the linkage while I cleaned it from the intake side with an LED flashlight, shop rags, throttle body spray and several toothbrushes.

Results were what I had hoped for, no noticeable difference in driving due to overarching vacuum leak and borked tachometer, but I'm confident my TB isn't causing any issues now.

do yourself a favor if you have TC, don't try to remove the throttle body.
Old 07-05-08, 09:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Umm, I have a 94 with TRAC, and I removed the throttle body couple of years ago to clean it. Its not that difficult at all. All you gotta do is take apart the intake, disconnect the two tps, disconnect 3 cables (accelerator, trac and cruise control), and remove four bolts that are holding it. Very simple, 20 minutes of work tops. If my memory serves me right, you dont need to remove any brackets to disconnect cables, the cables are very simple to disconnect. But now the hard part comes in, disconnecting the two coolant hoses underneath the throttle body. I ended up cutting them and replacing them.

I dont think you can clean it as well with a screw driver as opposed to having it removed. When I removed mine, I had to scrape the carbon built up off, carbon dissolved and a sponge just wouldnt do. Plus the TRAC model has two throttle plates, so it would be even more difficult to clean it effectively.
Old 07-05-08, 11:10 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

well, it looked like it would be difficult to remove. the plate that the throttle cable attaches to is bolted to the throttle body, and I couldn't see any easy way to get access to the bolt.

I stand corrected, it can be done, but it didn't seem like an intuitive process.