LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

non-OEM steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 10:28 PM
REELhybrid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-OEM steering rack

Had to replace my entire p/s rack because it was barfing like crazy. My only complaint when I bought my 95LS was the steering was too light. I had a hard time feeling the center position and felt like I was all over the road. My dad with a 98LS just replaced his rack with all OEM parts and still felt too light so I decided to try non-OEM.

With the new rack in place the steering is about 50% stiffer and feels much, much better than the OEM rack. Not to mention half the price. I have to put more effort to turn the wheel but feels much tighter than stock. Moreover, on the road the car is much easier to feel the center and has more of a BMWish steering feel.

Hope this helps those who will eventually have to do this expensive job.
Old 06-16-08, 06:27 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting perspective. I have a 95 and other than the rack being leaky (not on floor) it is just too slow in terms of responsiveness, etc. with all the upgrades I have done. Maybe this is what you mean by light?

The OEM rack is definitely higher priced. I found an online merchant in the $245 (without solenoid) for aftemarket (36 month warranty).
Old 06-16-08, 08:31 AM
REELhybrid
Rookie

Default rack

Originally Posted by steveski
Interesting perspective. I have a 95 and other than the rack being leaky (not on floor) it is just too slow in terms of responsiveness, etc. with all the upgrades I have done. Maybe this is what you mean by light?

The OEM rack is definitely higher priced. I found an online merchant in the $245 (without solenoid) for aftemarket (36 month warranty).

Yes, toooo darn light!! My rack was leaking so bad that when I drove the fluid from the boots would splash on the cat. and would smoke!!

In regards to responsiveness, the OEM version upon turning would require you to turn the wheel the opposite way to straighten out. But this non-OEM flips the wheel back to the center position with much more force.

Price wise, I paid $1200 with the rack, all hoses, install and alignment w/o the pump because that was still good. My dads 98LS went to Lexus for the whole p/s system including the pump and paid $3000!!
Old 06-16-08, 01:26 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool - thanks - When mine dies I will go a similar route and if it improves steering feel like you say I will be happy. $1,200 for a complete job seems good to me as just the high pressure hose is several hundred dollars. Your Dad really paid a lot at the dealer. My buddy Fred is not a do it yourelf kind of guy and recently paid $250 for headlight bulbs in his IS250!
Old 06-16-08, 04:39 PM
REELhybrid
Rookie

Originally Posted by steveski
Cool - thanks - When mine dies I will go a similar route and if it improves steering feel like you say I will be happy. $1,200 for a complete job seems good to me as just the high pressure hose is several hundred dollars. Your Dad really paid a lot at the dealer. My buddy Fred is not a do it yourelf kind of guy and recently paid $250 for headlight bulbs in his IS250!
just let me say this...if you are an enthusiast like most of us here you will very much appreciate the added feedback and pressure of the aftermarket brand.

As far as your friend, if he cant even change a bulb, then he somewhat deserves to pay what he paid..