LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone Know The Average Price To Change A Egr Tube/pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 10:28 AM
LSBIGBODY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Know The Average Price To Change A Egr Tube/pipe

I Figured Out The Noise I Was Having With My Lexus And It Was An Exhaust Leak. It's Comin From Teh Egr Tube/pipe. I Had Gone To A Shop And They Are Asking For 1098 For Rplacement. Is This About Average. It Seems A Bit Much To Me But Hey Its My First Lexus And Its A 93 And I Know Ima Need To Change A Few Things So If You Have Done This Or Know Sumone That Did Help Me Out
Old 06-13-08, 10:39 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the EGR tube tends to cause a exhaust leak in the 1st gen LS4's because of the motor mounts. from what i've heard, its a PITA to get out thats why the labor is so expensive. but either search HERE or in the MAINTENANCE froum about the LS400 egr tube, cuz i also read that there was a method to take out the tube without lifting the engine/removing the tranny.
Old 06-13-08, 01:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your best best is to just block that tube off. You can buy the EGR delete kit from Lextreme.com, its basically 3 metal plates, resistor and some vacuum pipes. It comes with a set of complicated instructions, but you dont have to go through all the trouble. You can just use two of the three plates, and you install one of these plate where EGR pipe connects to the exaust, and the other one where the EGR pipe connects to the intake manifold, right in between, of course using some high temperature red sealant. This way you will still have you EGR system, and it will function, only the EGR gases wont enter it since the pipe will be brocked off. You dont have to remove the EGR pipe to do it either, just loosen the bolts, and you will have enough play to be able to install the plates. You can also install the third plate between intake manifold and EGR valve, but thats optional. You should be able to do it all by yourself in less than an hour, or if you have a shop do it for you, the labor should be no more than $100.

With that kit not only you will fix the exaust leak, but also EGR gases will no longer enter your intake manifold, keeping it cooler and cleaner.
Old 06-13-08, 01:43 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't comment on the EGR delete but I have heard many do it. I had to change my EGR tube - tiny leak that got progressively louder. It cost me $150 to have it changed.
Old 06-13-08, 05:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Can't comment on the EGR delete but I have heard many do it. I had to change my EGR tube - tiny leak that got progressively louder. It cost me $150 to have it changed.
thats not the EGR pipe that cracks since that is located deep in the back of the engine, and normally costs $300+ in labor alone.
Old 06-14-08, 03:55 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have also changed the EGR pipe on my 94.

It is my hypothesis that worn out motor & tranny mounts leads to this parts demise.

The directions I posted were with the aid of a member here named "Sooner" & applied to non-california vehicles.

An EGR block off kit sounds much easier than the replacement procedure.

Last edited by damon; 06-15-08 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-14-08, 10:30 PM
benz420
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
With that kit not only you will fix the exaust leak, but also EGR gases will no longer enter your intake manifold, keeping it cooler and cleaner.
actually, getting rid of EGR will cause combustion temperatures to rise, and may also lead to pre-detonation.

the purpose of EGR is to reduce NOx emissions, which are formed when combustion temps get to high. to reduce these emissions, exhaust gas flows into the combustion chamber, which lowers combustion temps by cooling the intake charge.

using an egr delete kit may eliminate expensive egr problems and even turn off the CEL, but it could have a negative effect on engine life, and you will fail emissions (if you have emissions testing)
Old 06-15-08, 02:48 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I have to replace this part again I believe that I will just cut away the accordion section of the pipe, salvage the 2 connection points at each end & run some kind of flexible exhaust hose in its place.
Old 06-16-08, 08:17 AM
LSBIGBODY
Driver School Candidate

This Weekend I ToOk It To My MechanIC he Placed A High Temp Hose Where The Exhaust Was Comin Threw Sounds Great For Now Until I Figure Out Whether To Bypass The Egr Or Just Replace The WHole Thing. If I Do Bypass The Egr Will It Throw A Check Engine Light On
Old 06-17-08, 11:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LSBIGBODY
This Weekend I ToOk It To My MechanIC he Placed A High Temp Hose Where The Exhaust Was Comin Threw Sounds Great For Now Until I Figure Out Whether To Bypass The Egr Or Just Replace The WHole Thing. If I Do Bypass The Egr Will It Throw A Check Engine Light On
No, as long as you use a resistor (supplied with the kit) to fool the EGR temp sensor. If you remove EGR valve completely however, you will get a CEL. But you shouldnt remove it.
Old 06-17-08, 11:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by benz420
actually, getting rid of EGR will cause combustion temperatures to rise, and may also lead to pre-detonation.

the purpose of EGR is to reduce NOx emissions, which are formed when combustion temps get to high. to reduce these emissions, exhaust gas flows into the combustion chamber, which lowers combustion temps by cooling the intake charge.

using an egr delete kit may eliminate expensive egr problems and even turn off the CEL, but it could have a negative effect on engine life, and you will fail emissions (if you have emissions testing)
Well, that actually is debatable because EGR gases are hot to begin with. Plus EGR is closed at WOT, when the engine runs hottest.

Also, consider that 1UZ in Japan, and probably other countries, doesnt have EGR at all.
Old 08-04-08, 07:08 PM
96lexus
Driver School Candidate

Hey how are you. My name is LEX LUTHER LOL Darren is my name . I would really like to get a set of lights for my 96 ls 400 and some for the front too .... Please Help .... I also need a EGR tube you knoe of any good places ... Thanks..... Holla Back
Old 08-26-08, 07:14 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default EGR Replacement

Lexus R&R is around 9 hours to replace as they drop the transmission. It can be replaced, with effort, by dropping the exhaust at the front mounts, unbolting the transmission tail shaft mount and dropping (be sure to support with jack) about 4-6 inches. Saw my mechanic do it. Think it was three hours.
Old 09-11-08, 03:44 PM
05SC28
Driver School Candidate

Default egr

I had my egr pipe replaced when I had my starter replaced.
Cost me 900 for everything including starter,knock sensor, and egr pipe, gaskets for intake.