LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HHO Gas? Burn Water? Increase Gas Mileage Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 09:10 AM
MoJoMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHO Gas? Burn Water? Increase Gas Mileage Discussion.

As gas prices are approaching $5.00 for gas, here is a way to help offset the problem.

People are using electrolysis to separate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen in water and burning the gas (HHO) as part of the fuel. This can be done using just 7amps at 14v and most cars can easily support the device. You can make the device yourself or can purchase a full kit.

Many people are creating 2 liters of gas per minute and are getting 20-40% better gas mileage and also increased performance.

The HHO gas is added right into your air intake. This creates a more oxygen rich environment, so you have to put a spacer on the oxygen sensors in the exhaust to by pass the increase in oxygen. You also have to use a device on the mass flow air sensor to correctly control the air mixture to maximize the fuel/air mixture.

This website explains more http://www.shop.hydrofuelsolutions.com/main.sc

This it the best website I’ve found that is all inclusive to all of the parts you would need and is reasonably priced. Understand you may be able to do it yourself for a lot less.

There is is a ton of stuff on youtube and google. Some hit and some miss.
www.youtube.com Search HHO.
Still, I can’t find ANYBODY who does all the necessary things that says it doesn’t work.

Example of it attached to car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXl9i...eature=related

Mythbusters tried to debunk the HHO gas theory, but failed to use the electrolyzer that makes the water create Hydrogen & Oxygen. Got that. They didn’t even use the most important ingredient. I guess they sponsors got to them. In any case, another good question is, why the auto manufactures haven’t tried this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydEkV-E0mP8

I have nothing to do with any of these people and haven’t tried it on any cars.

This may be the best HHO gas producer I’ve seen, but it doesn’t come with all the parts you need to maximize your gas mileage (ie MAF Sensor controller, Oxygen spacers for exhaust, relay to turn device on with engine). I’m sure you can email him or get them on ebay.

In any case, it’s a pretty cool website.
http://www.brianspdr.com/h2gomini.html

Last edited by MoJoMan; 06-11-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 10:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds more like you're trying to get some pageviews for your website
Old 06-11-08, 11:41 AM
MoJoMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sounds more like you're trying to get some pageviews for your website
Ok let the insults start... LOL

Surely, if that was the case, I'd be on a Ford or GM site. I actually own a 94 LS400 140k miles. I love the car but it drinks the gas. Notice I reference more than one site and asked Lexus owners to check youtube, google and ebay.

I have to pay $4.25 for premium and it's killing me because my Mercedes 300E takes it too. So this is an exercise in trying to find relief for everybody. I have researched the subject greatly and am actually thinking about doing it.

I just wondering if anybody else has tried it. I've searched the forum and nothing came up.

You can by all inclusive kits for around $500 and it looks easy to do. With gas at $4.25 for premium, a 20 gallon tank that gets 20% better gas mileage will save about $17 per tank. Not too shabby but it takes 30 tanks to break even. That's about 3/5 a year for me.

It only seems to reason the smaller the engine, the greater the savings. You may only get 15% savings on a V8. I don't know. Still, you can find websites that will sell you the instruction for $50 and build it yourself for about $150.

Last edited by MoJoMan; 06-11-08 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 12:13 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if we started to use H20. we are going to create a shortage in drinking water or water itself that we use, and you know whats going to happen next. its going to be expensive to take a shower. to do distillation on salt water cost more money than it is worth.

i heard about this a long time ago, with college professor doing it. they also have to slow down the timing of the car. so it can fully ignite the gas.

ford already has a fully working hydrogen car in japan to the last time i remember. but im not sure if they are actually going to debut the car itself.
Old 06-12-08, 09:09 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW developed a few hydrogen powered 7 series in Germany about 8 years ago. Problem being all they show is the new 7 when they had the old pre 2001 model developed with it.
Problem being where do they go for a fill up , they were unable to get the goverments interested until now in making stations.

. It is great to have a small adder to the system but when they make more efficient solutions to pure industrial grade hydrogen being readily available it will be great.
My ls gives me great mileage so i am not worried much compared to carrying a few gallons of water around with me.
Old 06-13-08, 02:25 AM
AHJ
Rookie

One of the negatives for HHO was that it can destroy the cylinder walls due to the greater amount of energy released by the hydrogen mix. They were actually offering a service to coat the walls with porcelain.

Youtube has videos of the Tesla car. I will settle for that.
Old 06-13-08, 06:05 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...-increase.html

another thread on another site discussing this in pretty good depth. I'm thinking it's snake oil. You decide.

Part of the reason i say snake oil is why would car manufacturers spend millions developing hybrid cars when they could have just offered one of these kits for better gas mileage?
Old 06-13-08, 07:15 AM
MoJoMan
Driver School Candidate

Two thing that needs to be said.

1. You are not running the car on Hydrogen. You are supplementing the gasoline with Hydrogen and Oxygen. Many people have built this device and are reporting 20-40% fuel savings. I doubt it would hurt the cylinders like pure Hydrogen since it's such a small mix.

2. The link you provide talks about a different subject/product. That system costs over $1000 to purchase. I will be acheiving my results for about $100 and making the unit from scratch myself. In any case, the thread you reference is full of the usual negative people many who are clueless as to the entire process. The guy testing the device got so bumed out at these turkeys that he quit posting his results although I think he'll be back.

The real question is if you add 2 liters per minute of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas to your engine, will it...

really give you better mileage?
draw too many amps?
product too much heat & blowup it gas producing unit?

All of this can be easily overcome.
One thing is for sure, Hydrogen and Oxygen explode.

Well, my cousin wants to build one with me and test it on my old car. I have a 94 Regal LS that I'll probably use. I figure the unit will cost about $100 before it's all said and done. All you need is some stainless steel, plumbing parts, hoses, a relay and the brains to do it. We have all the gauges and testing equipment.

I will keep you guys posted. I'm going out of town for a week on vacation, so hopefully when I get back, my cousin will have the unit built.

I should say here that I personally love tinkering with stuff like this, and we are really doing this for the love of experimentation and not for the actual results. If they occur, we will both be astonished and totally baffled.

Wish us luck.

Last edited by MoJoMan; 06-13-08 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-13-08, 08:21 AM
MoJoMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AHJ
One of the negatives for HHO was that it can destroy the cylinder walls due to the greater amount of energy released by the hydrogen mix. They were actually offering a service to coat the walls with porcelain.

Youtube has videos of the Tesla car. I will settle for that.
I really doubt this. Could it be caused by the steam that is produced in the process? Could it cause the car to run too lean? In any case, I'm sure a unit like this will void your warrenty.

Coat the walls with porcelain? That's sounds expensive like someone trying to make some money.

The steam/water issue is handled with a bubbler to catch any fluids before it goes in to the intake. You should also use something to stop a flash back explosion.

Last edited by MoJoMan; 06-13-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 08:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've look into these systems and they sound pretty sound (in theory). I'm just wondering if MojoMan ever went ahead and tried to see if he could get actual results.
Old 09-28-08, 10:28 PM
carwatergu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MoJoMan
Two thing that needs to be said.

1. You are not running the car on Hydrogen. You are supplementing the gasoline with Hydrogen and Oxygen. Many people have built this device and are reporting 20-40% fuel savings. I doubt it would hurt the cylinders like pure Hydrogen since it's such a small mix............
I have just finished building my own HHO generator, and it works a treat! Heaps of gas when hooked up to my car battery. Will be installing it this weekend. My friend met a guy from Sydney yesterday, who has the system in his 5.7l v12 jaguar. He is very excited about the initial results...close to 30% better mileage
Old 09-29-08, 07:50 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Once I get my return next year, I'm thinking about investing in a HHO system and trying it out. I am very interested in seeing how the 1LS will react.
Old 09-29-08, 08:37 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a member with an IS has already done this...

http://waterpoweredlexus.com/

gl.

c.
Old 09-29-08, 11:08 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO

It's nothing more than snake oil. You are using some little contraption to make steam/smoke which you call hydrogen, but really all that is happening is you are tricking your computer and sensor to run the engine lean, thus resulting in the improved gas mileage.
Old 09-29-08, 03:03 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by atoyot
IMHO

It's nothing more than snake oil. You are using some little contraption to make steam/smoke which you call hydrogen, but really all that is happening is you are tricking your computer and sensor to run the engine lean, thus resulting in the improved gas mileage.
H20, so water as pure vapor is a combination of hydrogen and oxygen. How is any of that bad for your intake?

Quick Reply: HHO Gas? Burn Water? Increase Gas Mileage Discussion.