LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Weird steam/smoke from engine bay.. pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 08:23 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird steam/smoke from engine bay.. pics inside!

I took a few pictures for you so I can be more specific. I took three pictures, one if kind of an overview of the drivers side engine compartment, one is where smoke/steam is coming from, and the other shows coolant overflow.

Sorry, some might be sideways.

(notice over flow)

(where steam/smoke is coming, right against the firewall)

(upclose of overflow)

Any ideas guys? Could the steam be coming from the coolant leaking over and getting burned off on somewhere in the bay? It just seems like a weird place to burn off to me. Is there anything under where I am pointed that could be leaking?

Here is a picture from under the car, drivers side, pretty much right under front door. (two lines running two/from it, you can see what looks like red colored liquid on it...) This piece is definitely leaking (what is it for?), and may be getting on heatshield.

Sorry I dont have more info... any answers would be great!
Old 06-06-08, 10:06 PM
AHJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you answered your own question. All the stains show coolant is drifting around. Then there's the hole on the cover of the overflow tank. It looks like the spot where the overflow pipe would go in. The overflow pipe would direct the coolant to a place where it would not get evaporated.

There shoul be pictures of it at lexls.com: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html
Old 06-09-08, 10:07 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you did answer your own question just replace the tank and have a good radiator shop back flush your radiator the white stuff is worn out antifreeze mixed with some calicum get it done before summer or you could over heat the engine with having poor antifreez and no pressure on your radiator system.