LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 ls 400 knock/thump when starting her up

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 07:18 PM
oofer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 ls 400 knock/thump when starting her up

Wondering what your LS sounds like when you start it up.Mine makes a thump or knock just after I turn the key. It happens when the engine is engaged just after the initial turn.Otherwise, she' s whisper quiet. I recently checked both engine and trans mounts and both were ok. Any ideas or is this normal?
Old 06-06-08, 07:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

all the time or randomly?? i get some thump when i turn the car over but its random.
Old 06-06-08, 08:54 PM
oofer
Rookie

Pretty much all the time.
Old 06-20-08, 09:19 PM
cjmeyer
Driver School Candidate

My 95 makes no noise when I start it.
Old 06-21-08, 08:44 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an observation...Although the mounts maybe functioning properly you'd be surprised how much less rubber is left on them when compared to a brand new mount especially after 10 years and all the miles accumulated in that time...Mine were "fine" but what a difference when i replaced all 3!
Old 08-24-10, 10:35 PM
jtmosca
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have a 93 LS400 that I just bought and it appears to be doing the exact same thing. The knock/thump is random on mine. I've previously owned a 90 LS400 and it did not do it all. My immediate thoughts were motor mounts, however the randomness of this confused me. Does anyone know how this played out? (I realize that this thread is 2+ yrs old) Oofer, did you ever get this fixed?
Old 08-24-10, 11:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmosca
Hi, I have a 93 LS400 that I just bought and it appears to be doing the exact same thing. The knock/thump is random on mine. I've previously owned a 90 LS400 and it did not do it all. My immediate thoughts were motor mounts, however the randomness of this confused me. Does anyone know how this played out? (I realize that this thread is 2+ yrs old) Oofer, did you ever get this fixed?
no idea but thank you for SEARCHING
Old 08-25-10, 10:09 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mine also does this random thump at startup, but after reading threads from both CL and LOC on this issue it is definately a result of weakend engine mounts - when I get the budget up will be replacing mine for sure. Amazing difference after just replacing the one Tranny mount.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-10, 10:32 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your exhaust system bolts. Especially where the Y pipe connects to each of the catalytic converters up front. I think the torque on those bolts is 43 ft. lbs
Old 08-25-10, 06:15 PM
jtmosca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marklouis
mine also does this random thump at startup, but after reading threads from both CL and LOC on this issue it is definately a result of weakend engine mounts - when I get the budget up will be replacing mine for sure. Amazing difference after just replacing the one Tranny mount.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep checking my mounts. However, one of the tests for a bad motor mount is to put the car in gear, press firmly down on the brake and then give the engine some gas. This typically "torques" the engine and if a bad mount is present, it should create a similar knock under that scenario...right? When I tried this today, I got nothing. ??? This is not to say that it is not the mounts, but I seem to be having trouble getting confirmation. Anyhow, thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-25-10, 06:17 PM
jtmosca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Check your exhaust system bolts. Especially where the Y pipe connects to each of the catalytic converters up front. I think the torque on those bolts is 43 ft. lbs
Thanks JimsGX! In addition to investigating the mounts, I will also check out the Y pipe as you suggested.
Old 08-27-10, 01:35 PM
jtmosca
Driver School Candidate

Default Update...

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep checking my mounts. However, one of the tests for a bad motor mount is to put the car in gear, press firmly down on the brake and then give the engine some gas. This typically "torques" the engine and if a bad mount is present, it should create a similar knock under that scenario...right? When I tried this today, I got nothing. ??? This is not to say that it is not the mounts, but I seem to be having trouble getting confirmation. Anyhow, thanks again for the reply.
So I ran the vin# for the car at the dealership to pull the service history. (I live in NC and the car spent most of it's life in Ohio. Most of you probably already know that the Lexus dealer's computers are all tied in together). Turns out that sometime last year, the previous owner brought in for this noise, and the dealer also diagnosed it as a motor mount issue. ...so I think I tackle them soon. It looks like the trans mount is pretty easy to change. And suggestions on the others? (I will of course check the forums to see what else I can find) Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 09-05-10, 08:06 AM
RAINBOW
Driver School Candidate

My 93 does the same thing. It's not a good sound.What I do now before I start, is turn the key on, buckle my seatbelt, then turn the key to crank. That 10 sec. pause with the igni. on before cranking seems to stop the clunk, bang, booom, which blows the motor mount theory. I replaced the trans mount (very easy) did it in front of the house without jacking the car up. Made zero difference. I would check the engine mounts first, they're probably the cause of most harshness/vibration.
Old 09-06-10, 10:39 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

How about the oil filter? It might be plugged up and starving the engine of oil when cold.