LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 05:29 PM
thadword
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I took my car to get an oil change at my local lexus dealer, and i asked them to be on the look out for anything that basically needs to be fixed. Well, i get the car back and i'm told that the car is all good. Within a half-hour of leaving my check engine light comes on. After notifying the service department, i bring it in. A diagnostic is done and i'm told i need a new EGR modulator and tube cleaning. After contemplating i told them to go ahead since they weren't charging me for the diagnostic service. Two days later it gets fixed, they gave me a nice loaner the day they had it. Within an hour of picking it up the check engine light comes on again. Now i'm frustrated, it goes back in the next day and another diagnostic is done, which i didn't pay for and would have refused, they tell me that i needed a vacuum switch valve. I refused and told them to just bring my car around. At this point i feel i'm getting hustled and i told them that this seems odd that since i got an oil service from you that my check engine light begin to come on. I'm told it's a coincidence. I ask the service mananger that how come the vacuum switch valve didn't come up on the original diagnostic check? The manager told me since i needed the EGR modulator and tube cleaning that the vacuum switch valve wasn't a problem at the time. I told the lexus corporate headquarters and they were patient and seem understanding. So we'll see in a week when they contact me on what they have to say. So my question is, is it really important to get this vacuum switch valve that they said came up on the diagnostics?
Old 05-25-08, 06:27 PM
98LexLs
Driver School Candidate

the vacuum switching valve controls when the egr turns on and yes they should have caught this i would complain and have them fix it for free.
Old 05-25-08, 07:10 PM
thadword
Driver

I feel you 98LexLs, but i wanted to be clear on this matter before i took any action besides calling the corporate headquarters. I'll take that advice and Will myself out of this.