LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The Next Lexus??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 08:41 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Next Lexus??

Hyundai has a new high end luxury car. It looks real nice and has a good price point. I'm going to try and find one to test drive. Check it out:

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshow...hisSpeed=13000

Hyundai used to be laughed at. People have stopped laughing over the past few years as they've upped their quality. This new luxury addition is priced under 30K.
Old 05-15-08, 10:25 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
Hyundai has a new high end luxury car. It looks real nice and has a good price point. I'm going to try and find one to test drive. Check it out:

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshow...hisSpeed=13000

Hyundai used to be laughed at. People have stopped laughing over the past few years as they've upped their quality. This new luxury addition is priced under 30K.
I dont know about you...but Im still laughing

Couldnt and wouldnt ever drive that. Something about driving a Korean made "object" makes me stay away from it. And Also it's name...pronounced "HIGH UH DAY" OR "HIGH UN DOI!"

And that will NEVER be a Lexus
Old 05-15-08, 10:44 PM
Nano-V8
Driver

maybe it'll b the lexus of KOREA! but not a LEXUS or lexus killer or replacemnt. it'll take more than that. but i will admit it is a pretty sick car for the price. if i didnt kno any better and wanted a car with luxuries i might buy it. ha.
Old 05-15-08, 10:59 PM
1genls400
Driver School Candidate

their wont be a calibar type of auto company like lexus. remember toyota spent a billion dollars into the F1 project that would become the LS400. has hyundai done that? to me its another Korean car, if anything they need to get a new name. ill pass.
Old 05-15-08, 11:11 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think Hyundai are for people that cant afford real luxury cars.
Old 05-15-08, 11:14 PM
salsaboi
Driver

Looks like they took a ES350 and a Camry and kind of sqashed 'em together .. to make a G37? ;-P
Old 05-15-08, 11:56 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't laugh to hard... LS460 sales are DOWN 40% from last year.. Lexus took it too far with the 460. Its too big and too fat.. and WAY WAAY to pricey... the age of big fat gas guzzlers is over... and the age of smaller more efficient is just begining... And NO the Genesis is not smaller really... just less expensive.

If I was looking for a new car in that class ( I am not, and wont be ) I would definatly consider the Genesis... just as I would probably buy a Sonata over a Camry or Accord... there is just not enough difference between the cars to make me spend $4K more for the Honda... Reliability is very close now, and you get a great warranty if you would need it.

Go and drive a 08/09 Sonata V6 and tell me if you are not impressed with it as a $18K car ($21K minus $3K rebate) , they are made in Montgomery Alabama, in Hyndais new $1.1 BILLION plant, which is the most technologically advanced plant in the USA... at least until the new Honda plant in Greensbug Indiana comes online in June/July.

The Hyundai Genesis is a car that is much more similar to OUR LS400's. But with the new tech goodies people want, Plus its is a beautfull car. I saw it, and the coupe at Detroit this year... Believe me they will sell this car.

Why would the name of the manufacturer mean anything .. I mean Mercedes has some of the worst quality crap on the road.. but they still have the same "great" name..
I buy based on consumer research and my personal likes and dislikes.. not by the name of the company. In 1990.. people laughed at Toyota for trying to compete with Merc and BMW... they stopped laughing by 1991... I suspect the same will be true for Hyundai.

Here are some nice pics I found of the Sedan, and Coupe. The Sedan is closer in size to the Lexus GS series.

Have a good one..

Ken
Old 05-16-08, 01:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This should be in Car Chat.
Old 05-16-08, 06:53 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kens97sto
Don't laugh to hard... LS460 sales are DOWN 40% from last year.. Lexus took it too far with the 460. Its too big and too fat.. and WAY WAAY to pricey... the age of big fat gas guzzlers is over... and the age of smaller more efficient is just begining... And NO the Genesis is not smaller really... just less expensive.

If I was looking for a new car in that class ( I am not, and wont be ) I would definatly consider the Genesis... just as I would probably buy a Sonata over a Camry or Accord... there is just not enough difference between the cars to make me spend $4K more for the Honda... Reliability is very close now, and you get a great warranty if you would need it.

Go and drive a 08/09 Sonata V6 and tell me if you are not impressed with it as a $18K car ($21K minus $3K rebate) , they are made in Montgomery Alabama, in Hyndais new $1.1 BILLION plant, which is the most technologically advanced plant in the USA... at least until the new Honda plant in Greensbug Indiana comes online in June/July.

The Hyundai Genesis is a car that is much more similar to OUR LS400's. But with the new tech goodies people want, Plus its is a beautfull car. I saw it, and the coupe at Detroit this year... Believe me they will sell this car.

Why would the name of the manufacturer mean anything .. I mean Mercedes has some of the worst quality crap on the road.. but they still have the same "great" name..
I buy based on consumer research and my personal likes and dislikes.. not by the name of the company. In 1990.. people laughed at Toyota for trying to compete with Merc and BMW... they stopped laughing by 1991... I suspect the same will be true for Hyundai.

Here are some nice pics I found of the Sedan, and Coupe. The Sedan is closer in size to the Lexus GS series.

Have a good one..

Ken
When I had my bumper painted the shop rented a Sonata which I drove for 3 days. Obviously there was no comparison to my LS but it was a real nice car and drove similar to a Camry. It was surprisingly OK IMO. I would not consider buying one but see why so many people do though.
Old 05-16-08, 10:36 AM
McSwine
Driver

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
i think Hyundai are for people that cant afford real luxury cars.
That's pretty much the reason I'm driving a 8 year old LS with 115,000 miles.
Old 05-16-08, 11:40 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
That's pretty much the reason I'm driving a 8 year old LS with 115,000 miles.
$40,000 NEW Hyundai
OR
$40,000 USED Lexus LS430

Now thats a hard choice!
Old 05-16-08, 11:48 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the Genesis is prety nice, but Hyundai will never compete with Lexus.

Plain and simple.

It's not an arguable fact.
Old 05-16-08, 12:09 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

The Next Lexus?? naw....

nice looking car though......
Old 05-16-08, 12:20 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Yes the Genesis is prety nice, but Hyundai will never compete with Lexus.

Plain and simple.

It's not an arguable fact.

Same was said for Toyota/Lexus competing with Merc and BMW in 1990... It did not take long for people to change there mind.

If you read consumer reports.. you will find that Toyota is slipping in quality and reliability.

I recently went car shopping for a friend, we looked at the Camry, Avalon, Accord, and Sonata...

The Accord had the best fit and finish and interior, the Sonata was next.. I thought the Camry, and Avalon had a very cheap, plastic like interior.. I was not impressed at all..

My friend liked the Accord best.. But the difference in price was over $4k. for a similarly equiped Accord... There was no way she or I could justify that... so she picked the Sonata. Got a 07 Demo with 2K miles, its a loaded model, with the 4cyl, with XM SAT, for $15K after rebates.

I do agree with TJW98LS.. I would take the 40K used LS430, IF.. and I mean IF.. I had lots of extra money for the Maint, and repairs. Otherwise I would take the Genesis..

Ken
Old 05-16-08, 01:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kens97sto
I do agree with TJW98LS.. I would take the 40K used LS430, IF.. and I mean IF.. I had lots of extra money for the Maint, and repairs. Otherwise I would take the Genesis..

Ken

ahh yes, your brand new Hyundai will not require any maintainance....

maintaining a properly serviced LS430 isnt going to be any more than a new car unless it was built in germany or by one of the domestics...

Quick Reply: The Next Lexus??