LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It finally happened.. LS left me stranded, in a bad way.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 01:24 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It finally happened.. LS left me stranded, in a bad way.

So I was making my usual trip from VA (school), back to FL for summer.. I decide to get off the highway in Charlotte, NC. After cruising around, trying to find something to eat, to no avail, I whip a "U-ey" and head back the other direction. As I head up alittle "hill", the car just dies, gauges, engine and everything, for a second. I try and pull it over ASAP, but I end up blocking a bus lane, suck in downtown rushhour traffic. All my electronics work now, dvd player, dash lights, headlights, etc... when I turn the key though to start the car, it sounds like makes a horrible sound, but the starter is engaging. So I think...hmm, maybe the battery came a little loose? So I hop out, pop the hood, and the thing it stinkin up a storm, with a bit of smoke (dont ask me the color, cause I don't remember, it was whiteish) coming from, where the timing belt is area, if that makes sense. So the front of the engine. It makes a horrible, almost grinding sound when I try to start it. Almost as if I crakced the black or threw a rod. My gauges JUST went haywire (about 2 weeks ago, speedo and fuel gauge still work)... tach and temp gauge are nonfunctional. Great. Best time for that to happen, huh? Before I left VA, I checked coolant level, oil level, trans fluid, the works, and everything was OK.

I'm back in FL now (my buddy was following me, so I just got a ride with him). I left it at Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte (who were great, by the way) and they are going to call me tomorrow with the diagnoses.

Oh, and thanks to the tow truck driver, I have a HUGE gash in one of my rims... but he is denying any fault. Oh well, what can ya do....

IF the engine is bad... are there any other options, besides going with a US spec stocker (which I am not opposed to) with is compatible with the auto tranny in the car? Are there any twin/single turbo set ups (from TT supra) compatible? Should I stick with a 90-93 1UZ, or are any year through 96ish "swappable"? Any years I should steer clear of?

Thanks for any insight or answers!!
Old 05-09-08, 04:22 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing belt?? and if thats the case, I think chagning the belt will fix the problem.
Old 05-09-08, 05:22 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Timing belt?? and if thats the case, I think chagning the belt will fix the problem.
Thats kinda what I was thinking, but would that explain the real smelly smoke/steam coming from the engine?

Update: Just got off the phone with the tech, said that he thinks its the timing belt, AND that the waterpump is leaking. Not a good combo!

Last edited by Iansaltes; 05-09-08 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-09-08, 06:02 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles are on the car? Have you ever changed the belt and/or pump before?
Old 05-09-08, 06:08 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
How many miles are on the car? Have you ever changed the belt and/or pump before?
The car has 117k miles....belt was changed at 60k, as far as the water-pump, I'm not sure. If I were to guess, though, I would say it has not been changed.
Old 05-09-08, 07:18 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear the belt failed - thank God the engine is not an interference motor! Yours is the first I have heard of beaking. Luckily it own;t cost you an arm and a leg bro.
Old 05-09-08, 07:35 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is that when your timing belt was changed the idlers were not replaced. one of them seized up and that smoke/smell was your belt melting as it dragged across the seized pulley.

if so, no damage to your engine.
Old 05-09-08, 09:28 AM
jlp93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
... he thinks its the timing belt, AND that the waterpump is leaking. Not a good combo!
Actually, it is a good combo because: A) the water pump will fail eventually and B) the parts removal required to replace the belt will give you access to the pump. As you may already know, most folks replace the pump along with the timing belt, idlers, etc., while all of the parts are already off, to avoid paying again for labor when the pump eventually craps out
Old 05-09-08, 10:19 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jlp93
Actually, it is a good combo because: A) the water pump will fail eventually and B) the parts removal required to replace the belt will give you access to the pump. As you may already know, most folks replace the pump along with the timing belt, idlers, etc., while all of the parts are already off, to avoid paying again for labor when the pump eventually craps out
Thanks guys, I am glad to hear that - of all circumstances - this is one of the best major combos to break on this car!
Old 05-09-08, 10:27 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its also gonna break ur bank since u left it at a lexus dealer.
Old 05-09-08, 10:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

meh, i wouldnt blame the car, i would blame whoever replaced the timing belt and chose to cheap out by not doing the idlers and WP.

be happy you dont have a 95+ motor
Old 05-09-08, 10:41 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
its also gonna break ur bank since u left it at a lexus dealer.
haha they did the diagnosis, storage, wash, and vacuum all for free. I am not having them fix it though, my dad owns a transport company and we already have someone headed over to pick it up as we speak! The mechanic that works at my shop will fix it for free (well, he's on the clock gettin paid by the hour) , and I only need to pay for parts.
Old 05-09-08, 10:42 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
meh, i wouldnt blame the car, i would blame whoever replaced the timing belt and chose to cheap out by not doing the idlers and WP.

be happy you dont have a 95+ motor
That would be Lexus of Sarasota, FL, and you're right... all they did was the belt, nothing else.
Old 05-09-08, 12:07 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank god it was only that rather than your engine blow, i had a friend who didnt watch his temp and blow the motor!!!

oh well best of luck to you
Old 05-09-08, 08:14 PM
TheBigGuy
Driver School Candidate

wow, a lexus dealer did your timing belt without replacing the water pump and idler pulleys? thats crazy.. just be glad you dont have the inteference engine =).. i still need to change out my timing belt =(

Quick Reply: It finally happened.. LS left me stranded, in a bad way.