LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 11:39 AM
hab1270
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus trans service

I serviced the trans in my 00 LX470 with 182K on it and it shifted much better. I think if it fails after a service, it was almost ready to fail anyway. I disconnect one of the cooler lines (the line with fluid going into the radiator), put it in a bucket, crank the engine, and let it pump the dirty fluid out. Meanwhile, you can begin pouring fresh T4 fluid in. You may have to stop the engine along the way to catch up with fluid pour, but this gets most of the dirty fluid out. Pulling the pan and cleaning it is a good idea too, but maybe after you get the fluid cleaned up. Make sure you have 8-10 quarts of T4 on hand.
Old 08-20-07, 12:00 PM
samerooo
Rookie

OK, is it possible to drop the pan, clean it up, then switch out the rest of the oil after I put the pan back? If not, why?
Old 08-20-07, 12:16 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the process I would take. First, pull the pan, clean, and drain. Use the recommended sealant when putting the pan back in place, not a gasket! Then, at each oil change, pull the plug and replace the Toyota T-IV (about 2 quarts) of fluid until it runs good and red.
Old 08-20-07, 01:28 PM
samerooo
Rookie

Ok, looks like I'm taking etex's route. Seems the safest to me. Anyone disagree?
Old 08-20-07, 01:37 PM
samerooo
Rookie

Originally Posted by etex
That's the process I would take. First, pull the pan, clean, and drain. Use the recommended sealant when putting the pan back in place, not a gasket! Then, at each oil change, pull the plug and replace the Toyota T-IV (about 2 quarts) of fluid until it runs good and red.
Lexls + these forums say to use a gasket. It seems easier and alot less messy. What is the reason for having to use sealer instead of gasket?
Old 08-20-07, 01:39 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Originally Posted by samerooo
Lexls + these forums say to use a gasket. It seems easier and alot less messy. What is the reason for having to use sealer instead of gasket?
Toyota uses sealant in a lot of places that aftermarket puts a gasket.

ymmv.
Old 08-20-07, 02:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

etex's method is actually pretty common, mostly used on cars with higher mileage so as not to risk "shocking" the trans with new fluid
Old 08-20-07, 04:33 PM
samerooo
Rookie

I want to use a gasket because its easier. Whats the difference between a gasket and sealer?
Old 08-20-07, 09:13 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default transmission fluid chang

I saw your problem I would find a good tranmission shop and have them look at the trans, first thing is to pull the pan to see of there is any metal parts in the pan from gear wear or clutch plate wear. If not you can put the pan back and put in the amount of oil that the pans holds. find out how many quarts the pan hold when you drain the oil from the drain plug in the trans pan I would drain the trans refill it again drive about 10 minutes drain it again and again until you have drained it about 12 quarts this will give your lexus fresh transmission fluid. Then every 10-15,000 miles just drain the pan from the drain plug and put back the same amout the trans should go a long way. I use mobil one synthetic trans fluid on my 91 LS400 and no ill effects in fact it shifts real well and it has 188,000 miles on it now. you can buy the Toyota type 4 used in the Lexus transmission at Toyota and save money if this is the way you choose to go.
Old 08-21-07, 12:42 PM
ewenpg
Driver

I brought 12 quarts or Type IV and drained the pan, took it off and cleaned it, re-set magnets and sealed it back on. Then over a few days I drained and re filled it. Took three turns and now the fluid is clear and runs soooo smooth my friend asked me when I was on the highway if I had it in drive because they didn't feel the shifts! It is a little slower but I think safer and quite effective.
Old 08-21-07, 08:32 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by samerooo
I want to use a gasket because its easier. Whats the difference between a gasket and sealer?
Argh, sealers and gaskets, as long as they're done right, they won't leak. Sealers are a little more tricky, comes out of a tube, it's a MAKE-A-GASKET situation. The putty that comes out of the tube hardens and then you torque it down a bit more.

I like cork gaskets personally, and thats what I bought for my pan.

You can do the drain, remove, drain, remove situation, because there's roughly about 1 quart of old fluid left in the torque convertor if you just do a single drain.

Maybe do what Ewen said and drain it several times. That can get expensive, but way cheaper than buying a new transmission and install...ouch...
Old 08-25-07, 06:40 PM
agood1
Rookie

The manual for my 1993 say use T-II AT fluid....will T-IV or the castrol work just as well?
Old 08-25-07, 06:53 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transmission oil--Toyota Type II?

I understand that CL members always suggest to use the Toyota Type IV transimission oil and I bought 11 quarts of them. But my 1997 LS400 owner's manual said that Toyota transmission oil Type II should be used. Which oil should I use?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-07, 07:33 PM
jeffls400
Rookie

Default Good news!

Toyota T-IV is a direct replacement for the "old" Toyota T-II spec. You can use the T-IV with no problem.

Jeff
Old 08-25-07, 08:57 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Originally Posted by agood1
The manual for my 1993 say use T-II AT fluid....will T-IV or the castrol work just as well?
Did you read this thread? There lies your answer.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)