LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anybody take the back two mufflers off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 08:02 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody take the back two mufflers off?

Was wondering if anybody had taken the back mufflers off? They unbolt at the flange... and it would be pretty easy to have a shop make some pipes to go all the way from the flanges, back to the bumper.

An opinions would be apreciated.. No rush.. just thinking it would be a cheap exhaust mod...

Thanks
Ken
Old 04-23-08, 08:07 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

It's pretty common, it's known as the muffler delete mod or something.

Personally... I went ***** out, cut everything off after the cats, and straight piped. It STILL doesn't have my Magnaflows on it, but I'm getting there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqruY1eatA
Old 04-23-08, 08:48 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol dude, what rpms where those? 500-4k?
Old 04-23-08, 08:56 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Thanks... Your car sounds great... a little loud for me.. But still GREAT!!

I live in Ohio.. and the cops are ALWAYS lurkin .. they really like pullin you over for anything... so a loud car is just drivin with a big.. "PULL ME OVER" sign stuck to the window.

I think I will try to just do the muffler delete.. can always put them back on if its too loud... Will update when I do it.

Thanks for posting your vid..

Ken
Old 04-23-08, 08:57 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
lol dude, what rpms where those? 500-4k?
Just about. My camera doesn't capture anything sound-wise... you gotta be there to hear the deafening, ground shaking roar of my 1UZ. It's a beast... but it sounds like crap in normal driving (1..5k to 3k rpm) for some reason.
Old 04-23-08, 09:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yea, this is an OLD-SCHOOL mod, hell lextreme used to have a diy on it but i think it got lost with the site revamp a decent while back.

tip: if you wanna do this, go down a day before and spray the crap out of the bolts/flanges with PB Blaster and/or WD40.
Old 04-23-08, 09:56 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine removed fairly easy on my 99 LS. I LOVE the sound. It's very nice and not too loud.
Old 04-23-08, 10:00 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Just about. My camera doesn't capture anything sound-wise... you gotta be there to hear the deafening, ground shaking roar of my 1UZ. It's a beast... but it sounds like crap in normal driving (1..5k to 3k rpm) for some reason.
It sounds like crap because you're running straight pipes from the cats. I had straight pipes for a day on my SC400 while waiting for exhaust parts to come in and it too sounded bad during normal driving. I also don't see how you can stand the sheer loudness of it like that. It's enough to make you go deaf by your mid-twenties.
Old 04-23-08, 10:11 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Yeah.. I planned to soak those bolts... Gotta love PB Blaster... stuff works wonders... specially if you let it sit a while... Seafoam Deep Creep works really good too.

Hope it sounds good when I take it apart... I would love for it to have a little more rumble.. But not so loud people "Notice" it. Like I said.. the cops in Ohio can be a bit hyperactive... any reason to pull someone over.

Thanks for help.

Ken
Old 04-24-08, 07:16 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just by deleting the mufflers really improves th sound. I made a video long ago when I did mine. It did not make it louder in the cabin but really opened it up outside. I need to post it on YouTube with my others some time.

Removing them is easy as you say since there is a junction point with bolts.
Old 04-24-08, 08:16 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
It sounds like crap because you're running straight pipes from the cats. I had straight pipes for a day on my SC400 while waiting for exhaust parts to come in and it too sounded bad during normal driving. I also don't see how you can stand the sheer loudness of it like that. It's enough to make you go deaf by your mid-twenties.
Huh? No, it's not just cut off past the cats... there's piping going all the way back.

I don't know what you're talking about, but it's not all that loud. I know buddies with SRT4's and Magnaflow exhausts that sound louder in normal driving than my Lexus. It's very bearable, the car has a very quiet cabin.
Old 04-24-08, 08:21 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Huh? No, it's not just cut off past the cats... there's piping going all the way back.

I don't know what you're talking about, but it's not all that loud. I know buddies with SRT4's and Magnaflow exhausts that sound louder in normal driving than my Lexus. It's very bearable, the car has a very quiet cabin.
That's what I said in my first sentence. Open the windows and see how annoying it is for other drivers.
Old 04-24-08, 09:45 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

take off both your mufflers and your resonators. it sounds like a 5.0L mustang lmaooo. its so loud it annoyed the life out of me. so i put my resonators back on until i can get some new mufflers in. Magnaflow here i come :]
Old 04-24-08, 11:59 AM
jdmsole06
Driver

yeah i had mine cut everything from the cats all the way back...it sounds like a mustang cobra....its a little loud but i guess it suites the car...ill try to get a sound clip up for ya
Old 04-24-08, 03:00 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I like it loud. Honestly, do you think I give two craps about other drivers? I want the loudest, most ear-splitting, deafening roar I can get at wide-open-throttle for everyone to hear.

Plus, it's safer. You can hear my car from a half-mile away... people (and animals) will know to GTFO the way when I'm passing through.

Quick Reply: Anybody take the back two mufflers off?