LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Was in a Wreck... Have a Few Questions

Old 04-18-08, 11:10 AM
BabyBoy068
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was in a Wreck... Have a Few Questions

Back in December, I was driving my brother's 1991 Lexus LS400 and unfortunately was in a wreck with it. Not too much damage was done (and what sucks even more is that I was held responsible, even though the driver in front of me FAILED TO USE A TURN SIGNAL!)

I do know I need the following parts:

1. Passenger Side Mirror
2. Passenger Side Fender
3. Front Bumper
4. Passenger Side Headlight
5. Passenger Side Turn Signal

Now here are a few questions:

1. The Lexus is a two-tone color. Upper black, lower grey (or silver or something.) If I provided a photo, could anyone tell me what the colors are or whatever so I can have the colors matched back up?

2. Where can I find a 1991 Lexus LS400 Passenger Fender that is NOT aftermarket? All I can find is after-market fenders. I'd like one that is preferably stock.

3. The passenger side front wheel is bent... whether that has anything to do with my next question I don't know. The engine still starts and runs fine and everything, only issue is though when I switch it to "Drive" or "Reverse" or something the engine shuts off. Anyone mind telling me what might be causing this issue and how to fix it?

I'd greatly appreciate ya'll help, I would really like to get this Lexus fixed soon and back on the road, especially seeing how I got some 20" rims I would like to throw back on it possibly this Summer (which thank God were taken off for the Winter time and weren't on the Lexus at the time of accident.)

Thanks again...
Old 04-18-08, 01:00 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a paint color code on driver door jam. For example mine is 3H9.

Buy used for stock. www.car-parts.com

Check engine error code for engine issues. Could be transmission problem.
Old 04-18-08, 01:10 PM
BabyBoy068
Driver School Candidate

^^ **Heavy sighs** I should've known mechanical issues, lol... explain a bit more about the color codes thing. I'm not a auto expert so I apologize...
Old 04-18-08, 05:49 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

There is a sticker on driver's door. Look for a similar 3 digit number for your paint color
Old 04-18-08, 05:54 PM
BabyBoy068
Driver School Candidate

^^ Thank you... I am assuming it should have both colors on there (keep in mind I said it is two-tone... black on the upper portion of the body and grey on the bottom portion of the car.)
Old 04-19-08, 07:47 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

ere you go

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi
Old 04-19-08, 10:09 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to paint cars for a living, so just an FYI:

The color code will "help" to match the paint, but may not match exactly. The base formula that the paint companies come up with is usually close to the color, not dead on. Thats why you see some cars that have 1 door or panel that looks different from the rest of the car in certain lighting.

A good painter usually knows how to mix paint can use the base formula to start off, then go off by eye and start matching closely. But in most cases (especially with metallic paints, like silver), there will have to be a blend into adjoining panels.
Old 04-20-08, 07:17 PM
BabyBoy068
Driver School Candidate

^^ LOL... well that sucks! LOL... so I guess best advice is to get it painted to the best it can match and then maybe later getting it entirely painted 2 new colors or something right?

BTW... my brother knows a bit about cars and he mentioned to my mom about the fact of the engine RPM's might be different since the accident which is causing the engine to shut off when I switch gears. Could this be a problem and if so how would I be able to fix it?
Old 04-20-08, 07:21 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyBoy068
^^ LOL... well that sucks! LOL... so I guess best advice is to get it painted to the best it can match and then maybe later getting it entirely painted 2 new colors or something right?

BTW... my brother knows a bit about cars and he mentioned to my mom about the fact of the engine RPM's might be different since the accident which is causing the engine to shut off when I switch gears. Could this be a problem and if so how would I be able to fix it?
As was asked earlier, was there an error code or flashing light indicated on the dash? I think the overdrive light flashes if you have a transmission problem...