LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear Sunshade Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 07:52 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sunshade Question

How many people have them or have seen them on the 10/11's. I just found one the other day and picked it up. I will post some pics up once I clean it and repair it. It is retractable. I did not know it even existed until i found this one.
Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 04-15-08, 10:32 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it was a dealer accessory back in the day. Where and when exactly it was offered, I do not know. I'd purchase one in a heartbeat if I could find one for a 2nd gen, and for <$100.
Old 04-16-08, 02:19 AM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

pics?, Part #? Price?

Chris
Old 04-16-08, 05:32 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

well, united states was the only country were the ultra luxury wasnt offered from 90-00......they had almost all of the options an 01 ultra luxury package had except for the cooled seats, do a quick search and you will find some pics that was posted up in this forum!! if anything it would be a toyota part number since they didnt have lexus in japan till recently!!
Old 04-16-08, 05:35 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I know I posted the part number and price of the sunshade on this forum but I can't find the thread. The LS400 I bought new in early 1990 had a manually retractable rear sunshade - a nice feature indeed. If I remember correctly, the retractable shade cost $82 not including installation - but that was almost two decades ago.

Here are a couple of threads on another forum where I posted information and photos of the sunshade:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=4805&hl=shade
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=4564&hl=shade
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...req=si&img=819

You should know that the installation of the rear sunshade requires a huge special template to ensure that the holes are drilled in exactly the right place. And you have to have the right three clips that install at the rear of the headliner. The center clip is different and its placement is especially critical.

At this point, I would recommend that you forget about finding and installing a rear sunshade and simply have your rear window tinted with 35% tint. People on this and other forums have searched around the world for new retractable shades in dealer inventory and have had no success. Also, no one seems to have found an installation template which is absolutely critical. Way back in 1990, the local shop here had to borrow an installation template from an Omaha Lexus dealer.

Last edited by Kansas; 04-16-08 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 08:14 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Here is a photo of the rear sunshade on the 90 LS I used to have since some of you might not be able to see the photos on the other forum.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Sunshade Question-mvc-007f.jpg  
Old 04-16-08, 03:17 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

Thanks Everyone. Especially Kansas! That is the exact one I found, and to clarify to everyone else, It was pulled from a 93 LS400, here in the states. I apologize for the unclear question. I was just so excited I found it, I was coming down from my "Parts" high Cause I found an carpeted trunk mat also, the one that has the word LEXUS in the center. The sunshade has the clips and everything except the template, because it was already installed. I was feeling around on my package tray area and found what looks like where the screws will go. I need to research a little more though.
Old 04-16-08, 04:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention that the rear retractable sunshade came in at least three colors. Mine was gray but I don't remember the other colors.
Old 04-16-08, 05:42 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Personally i think its a bit fugly...
Old 04-16-08, 07:23 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

I am just kinda weird about OEM accessories I guess. Like when I found my Lexus cell phone. I know it can't get it to work on any network. But I wanted it. The one I found was Grey. No one will see because of my tinted windows unless you are in the backseat itself. I still can't wait to get it in.
Old 04-17-08, 10:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rocan
Personally i think its a bit fugly...
Actually I thought the manual rear sunshade looked great and about like the electric rear sunshades on newer, more expensive BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Infinity cars.

One of the nice aspects of a retractable rear sunshade, compared to tinting the rear window, is that you can lower the sunshade at night and during the dark days of winter.

It was one of my favorite features on my 90 LS and I was disappointed and surprised that they were not available for my 2000 LS400.
Old 04-17-08, 05:12 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

The phone... that reminds me... Any way we can get it to work? I think i might be able to rig up a bluetooth system since im Pretty technologically handy.
Old 04-17-08, 06:57 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

Rocan. That what I'm going to with mine I just had a guy do it with his old Acura one. A cheap $20 blue tooth, some solder, a soldering iron, meter and time. Works like a champ!!!
Old 10-23-20, 06:35 PM
turbotl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Here is a photo of the rear sunshade on the 90 LS I used to have since some of you might not be able to see the photos on the other forum.
hey man I have the same sunshade in my car and was curious how you remove the lower clips that meet the rear speaker deck. Do you know how these come out? Thanks!
Old 10-24-20, 07:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbotl
hey man I have the same sunshade in my car and was curious how you remove the lower clips that meet the rear speaker deck. Do you know how these come out? Thanks!
I'm surprised I saw your question since I don't stop by here very often. I didn't install the sunshade in my 90 LS so I don't know how it is attached to the package shelf. Have you looked in the trunk for screws or bolts holding it in place?

Quick Reply: Rear Sunshade Question