LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help - Power steering leak continues after replacing reservoir o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 05:01 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Power steering leak continues after replacing reservoir o-ring

I had put in a brand new aftermarket alternator meant for 93-94 LS400 last week, as well as replacing the o-ring of the reservoir in the hopes that it could be the cheapest option to see if it fixes the leak. Alternator works great and I tested the battery with a multimeter reading with the car off and on, but after six days the power steering was beginning to make that noise again so refilled to the proper line.

I was thinking I would try to buy a small metal sheet and bend it to redirect the power steering oil that leaks (like a heat shield but I'd need it to sit further from the alternator for better heat dissipation). But I would like to ask if any of you have a solution to this common problem of the PS leak? I would not want the alternator to go bad again, but there is currently no visible oil on the alternator.
Old 11-24-17, 05:55 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Replacing the o ring is a positive step but it's more than likely your Air Control Valve. 1763016040
We've ALL battled this one for years! You can replace it or plug it but there's still no guarantee it'll stop leaking. Some guys use a 14M x 1.5 oil drain plug but sometimes even those don't fit properly. I used a 14M x 1.5 bolt from Ace Hardware and cut it down to length. There's quite a bit of info here if you search "Plug ACV"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ystem-diy.html
The following 2 users liked this post by bradland:
dataDave (11-24-17), Scraape (11-24-17)
Old 11-24-17, 06:08 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

I have read at another thread that the PVC valve, grommet, and clamp could be the source of the leak. I may want to try this before to see if it could fix the leak. Do you have any knowledge on whether this can be the source?
Old 11-24-17, 06:15 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Replacing the o ring is a positive step but it's more than likely your Air Control Valve. 1763016040
We've ALL battled this one for years! You can replace it or plug it but there's still no guarantee it'll stop leaking. Some guys use a 14M x 1.5 oil drain plug but sometimes even those don't fit properly. I used a 14M x 1.5 bolt from Ace Hardware and cut it down to length. There's quite a bit of info here if you search "Plug ACV"
^x2 this is probably the source of your leak.
Also a common vaccum leak too.

Originally Posted by dataDave
I have read at another thread that the PVC valve, grommet, and clamp could be the source of the leak. I may want to try this before to see if it could fix the leak. Do you have any knowledge on whether this can be the source?
If you mean the PCV valve, that is on the valve cover and won't be what's leaking PS fluid lol.
It is probably your PS idle up valve like posted above
The following users liked this post:
dataDave (11-24-17)
Old 11-24-17, 06:42 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

So I went through and researched more about just plugging ACV. Could you clarify something for me? If I buy a correctly threaded plug from ACE Hardware, will I have to do any of the welding the piston procedures? And what happens to the two lines that come into this? How do you plug those that nothing is being pumped? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-24-17, 06:51 PM
bradland

Just to clarify what this valve does...
When the PS pump is under load, low speed parking lot turning etc, the valve opens and allows air to circulate through the vacuum lines and into the intake. This increases the idle speed slightly which gives the pump more power. No welding required and the vacuum lines can simply be plugged.
Old 11-24-17, 06:55 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify what this valve does...
When the PS pump is under load, low speed parking lot turning etc, the valve opens and allows air to circulate through the vacuum lines and into the intake. This increases the idle speed slightly which gives the pump more power. No welding required and the vacuum lines can simply be plugged.
Thanks, you've helped clarify that a lot. Would you happen to know the exact part you bought at ACE Hardware which fit the plug size and thread specs? Hopefully they have a size that does not require removing some of it because I don't have the tools and resources to do that..
Old 11-24-17, 07:07 PM
bradland

You can buy the bolt anywhere metric bolts are sold. I tried a generic oil plug from Autozone which did not work. The easiest way to know for sure is to find a nut that will thread on to the bolt you buy AND your valve. If the nut fits properly on both you know you are good.
I also added this to the threads. Make sure all the threads, on the pump and the bolt, are clean and dry when you do this to get a good seal.
Old 11-25-17, 05:53 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Know what you are getting into

If you have spent time researching this, then you must know that the FIRST thing you must do is to verify WHERE the leak is coming from. This requires a thorough cleaning of the entire pump, AIC valve, and various hoses to and from the reservoir. Hand wiping all areas to remove all oil film and drips is a must. Then a two minute test working the steering wheel at idle, then shutting off the engine, and using a bright lite to look at the bottom of the pump, the pressure lines, the rack fittings, and the AIC valve, will reveal what the problem is. Without doing this, you will be chasing your tail.
UNCNOR (11-25-17)
Old 11-26-17, 01:18 PM
enycetony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to chime in that I had a similar issue on my LS400 a few years ago. I replaced the power steering pump due to a leak and it continued after i replaced it. I used some lucas stop leak and the problem has completely gone away... May not be the optimal solution but it got the job done. Try this if nothing else that you're doing is working.

This is the product I used: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil...lspartner=wlpa

At the time, i got it on clearance for under $4.. Currently it's $10 at walmart. Advance has it for $11 but they typically have coupons to bring the price down more.
dataDave (11-26-17)
Old 11-26-17, 01:24 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enycetony
I wanted to chime in that I had a similar issue on my LS400 a few years ago. I replaced the power steering pump due to a leak and it continued after i replaced it. I used some lucas stop leak and the problem has completely gone away... May not be the optimal solution but it got the job done. Try this if nothing else that you're doing is working.

This is the product I used: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil...lspartner=wlpa

At the time, i got it on clearance for under $4.. Currently it's $10 at walmart. Advance has it for $11 but they typically have coupons to bring the price down more.
Thanks for the advice. How has it held up? Has it never leaked since you've used it a few years ago? That may be a good, cheap option for repair, as the car has 220-230k so in a year or two I'll be in the market for a new car.

If you have not had any problems with it, I'll continue to research on how this can improve and probably go with this option. Please let me know some more details about how its worked for you
Old 11-26-17, 01:27 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. How has it held up? Has it never leaked since you've used it a few years ago? That may be a good, cheap option for repair, as the car has 220-230k so in a year or two I'll be in the market for a new car.

If you have not had any problems with it, I'll continue to research on how this can improve and probably go with this option. Please let me know some more details about how its worked for you
I just had spent the time and effort to replace the alternator (in my opinion, the engine bay was poorly designed with the alternator being right under the power steering pump, and power steering leak being quite a common problem.. most cars place the alternator closer to the top of the engine bay for better cooling and easier task to replace it if it fails). I do not want to go back in there and go through the effort if unnecessary. Hopefully your experience with the Lucas PS leak fixer has been positive.
Old 11-26-17, 02:51 PM
enycetony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had any issues with a power steering leak since I tried the lucas.
Old 11-26-17, 03:17 PM
dataDave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enycetony
Haven't had any issues with a power steering leak since I tried the lucas.
Any advice on a specific method you used with the stop leak?
Old 11-26-17, 06:20 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Any advice on a specific method you used with the stop leak?
Stop Leak is a band-aid approach and does not really solve the problem.

If an original P.S. pump then all internal rubber seals are past their prime.

For 1990-1994(1995-1997 ?) LS400 a rebuilt pump is available from Lexus,

1998-2000 LS400 is still available new.

Aftermarket rebuild product is dicey because you do not know whose, and what parts were used in rebuild...ie; if the pump shaft is worn then they just slap it back together and hold out a lifetime warranty as inducement to buy failure prone product. (As posts in this forum suggest)

Buy new if possible and avoid future headaches