LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EGR Delete for LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 09:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default EGR Delete for LS400

I've noticed an EGR Delete is common on the SC's. Given this,.. take into account the EGR pipe that commonly cracks due to worn motor mounts on the older LS's.

If you live in an area that does not check emissions, like I do, would an EGR delete be an relatively inexpensive way to take car of the annoying sound of the cracked pipe?

Or would it still require the extensive labor?

Or is it just not possible/feasible on the LS?
Old 03-23-08, 10:14 PM
zokustyle
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just fix it, if it's just the noise?

EGR doesn't have much of an effect on emissions or anything really from what i've learned.

but it's a beezy to "delete."
Old 03-23-08, 10:17 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Cause its an 800$ fix. If I do it myself, I'm not sure I have the tools to get it done,.. It requires alot of removal, hence the expense. It rates at 8-10hours on the mechanics charts. People say it can be done faster, and easier -- But its not quick or easy by most people I've talked to.

That is why I asked if the delete would make it quicker, and well, free basically.

If your wondering why it is so expensive it is cause of the location of the pipe that cracks.
Old 03-23-08, 10:30 PM
zokustyle
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i'd think EGR pipe removal and replacement would be easier than EGR pipe removal, fabbing of EGR block-off plates, and figuring out what to do about all of the vacuum lines that are connected to the EGR system.

if toyota techs can do it, shouldn't be hard for the average homeboy to do it.

and you don't always have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ at the dealer for new stuff.

you can just go to a junkyard or find someone that is parting an LS and take the stuff from that. yeah, it's used, but it still works just as fine as the dealer stuff.
Old 03-23-08, 10:55 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok obviously EGR delete is a much tougher job, that is all I needed to know

I never have spent money at the dealer, hope I never will.

I don't have the dealer do work on my car, never have. I do any work I can with the tools I have.

The EGR removal and replacement pipe requires the transmission to be dropped (so says many) -- Some say you can lift it,to get to the pipe.

My indie mechanic who runs 65$ an hour, says he would do it for half price because of the time involved.. He quotes 8 hours on the job.. it isn't a tune up,.. it takes a while any way you look at it.

It sounds simple, but it is buried.

If I had a lift, impact tools,.. and a guide -- I'd go to town. But I don't want to spend at minimum 400$ with half price.. and maximum 850 ish.. (I quote that as dealer.. )

The pipe itself might be, oh, $60? I haven't priced it out, but it isn't bad. The part isn't what I'm worried about, its getting to it.. from underneath, with an annoying transmission in the way and a firewall to boot
Old 03-23-08, 11:05 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix the pipe. You don't need to drop the transmission.
Old 03-24-08, 12:11 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Have you done it yourself?

If you have, would you mind sharing how long it took you, what tools you used, and a basic over view of what you did?

If the indie mechanic, the lexus stealership and all these forum members who say its a time consuming job, are wrong .. I would be all for doing it myself. I have zero problems spending all day working on my vehicle , as its saving me money provided I have the tools and general 'idea' of what to do.
Old 03-24-08, 01:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lextreme sells EGR block off plates if u decided to go that route.
Old 03-24-08, 05:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I blocked off my EGR, I got more "pinging" then I usually had, so I unblocked it. Apparently EGR gases actually cool down the intake manifold. But then my a/f ratio is inherently messed up to begin with, so my results may not be tipical for everyone else.
Old 03-24-08, 05:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah you can do it without dropping the trans. i've done it. took maybe 2 hours on a lift. you'll need some extensions, with wobble ends, and a 10 or 12mm u-joint socket and some patience.
if you wanted to block it off, get the block off plate and just stick that on instead of the pipe. don't worry about the vacuum lines, leave them intact.
Old 03-24-08, 07:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

If you just want to block off the EGR, you can buy the plates from Lextreme for $100, or fab them yourself. They sell you three plates, one for where EGR pipe connects to exaust, one for where it connects to intake manifold, and one for where EGR valve connects to the manifold. But you only need all three if you want to remove the system completely. If you just wanna block it, the best way is to just put the plate between the EGP pipe and exaust, and leave everything else intact. Should be pretty easy. Of ir you want it even easier, you can just put the plates between the EGR pipe and intake manifold, and EGR valve and intake manifold... but if your EGR pipe is cracked, that wont work too well.
Old 03-24-08, 01:33 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Let me ask you this -- would blocking off the EGR still require roughly the same removal of parts and difficulty as replacing the pipe?

I'd just assume replace the pipe if I still have to get to it.
Old 03-24-08, 01:37 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Removal and re-routing vacuum lines is straight forward.

http://www.lextreme.com/egr.html

Here's the link to Lextreme that gives you a basic idea of what this entails.
Old 03-24-08, 01:45 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link -- But it isn't giving a how-to on , well how to do it -- sketchy diagram of a a break apart that I can't work by very well

I know very little about the EGR system,.. nor can I really see where all the piping goes --

Ideally, is it that I can cap this system off up 'top' easily and not even have to get down to my EGR pipe thats cracked, making this a reasonable solution .. Or does the pipe still need to be taken out?
Old 03-24-08, 02:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neofate
Let me ask you this -- would blocking off the EGR still require roughly the same removal of parts and difficulty as replacing the pipe?

I'd just assume replace the pipe if I still have to get to it.
Apparently not. If you had to replace the pipe, you would have to disconnect it from the intake manifold and from the exaust, but in addition there's another bracket that is holding it somewhere down the middle, and getting to it requires a lot of removals - at least so I heard. But if you're just looking to block it off, it should be simple.

Quick Reply: EGR Delete for LS400