LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UCF20 and UCF10 OEM shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 10:09 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UCF20 and UCF10 OEM shocks

I'm aware that rear OEM UCF20 shock are longer than OEM UCF10 shocks. But hoow much longer? An inch? two?
I could not find info anywhere on exact length differences.

Does anyone have this info?

Or maybe... if any one has OEM UCF10 or UCF20 (preferably AIR aka UCF11 & UCF21) shocks lying around, they could measure them and post the length here. Please, pretty please?
It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Kaspars; 04-03-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 10:40 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

from my limited knowledge and recollection, it's the rear shocks that are longer on the UCF20.
but by what amount, i could not tell ya for certain...

if you need air shocks, it might not matter on length since they adjust based on height sensors on the suspension arms.
it would matter in that a regular UCF21 shock would be collapsed moreso to achieve regular ride height than if installed in a 2nd gen vehicle, causing premature wear.
Old 04-03-20, 10:58 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
from my limited knowledge and recollection, it's the rear shocks that are longer on the UCF20.
but by what amount, i could not tell ya for certain...

if you need air shocks, it might not matter on length since they adjust based on height sensors on the suspension arms.
it would matter in that a regular UCF21 shock would be collapsed moreso to achieve regular ride height than if installed in a 2nd gen vehicle, causing premature wear.
Well it kinda does matter, because of the reasons you mentioned yourself - more collapsed bags -> premature failure.
I want to lower my car even further, but to avoid aforementioned problems, "simplest" solution would be to obtain ultra rare rear SS kit. (front kit I already have), but.... with rear SS kit installed I definatley won't pass local vehicle inspection. So other option has to explored. - for example I could modify rear knuckle's "ear" to which shocks bolt to, in a stealthy fashion, but that's kinda sketchy.

So my logic is that shocks are already old and will have to be changed in the future anyway, and why not to achieve two things at the same time - change out old parts and lower the car.
Old 04-03-20, 01:35 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

why won't a SS kit pass inspection if the fronts will? i suppose anything not factory = not pass?

you have sound logic. have you found suitable UCF21 air struts already?
conventional lowering springs and new shocks will ride tons better and will last longer - plus will surely pass inspection and be equivalent if not cheaper in cost vs new air struts.
Old 04-03-20, 03:24 PM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
why won't a SS kit pass inspection if the fronts will? i suppose anything not factory = not pass?

you have sound logic. have you found suitable UCF21 air struts already?
conventional lowering springs and new shocks will ride tons better and will last longer - plus will surely pass inspection and be equivalent if not cheaper in cost vs new air struts.
Well technically the front SS kit falls in a kinda grey area because it doesn't really change the way how suspension components are mounted or their pickup points, and can be argued to be just a fancy stack of washers. And if needed be I can get the modification approved (doubt I will ever need to do this as in last 3 years no one had even glanced in its direction.) But they way how regulations are written it's almost impossible (possible only in theory) to get the rear SS kit approved, to the point it would be easier to cut and weld rear knuckles and then clean them up and repaint to look as OEM possible.

"have you found suitable UCF21 air struts already?"
Uhm.... just to be sure and avoid misunderstandings. My car is 1997 pre-facelift LS400 with OEM air suspension aka UCF21.
So technically yes I already have suitable UCF21 struts. They are on the car!