LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake pad opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 01:17 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad opinions wanted

Hey, it's time for a new set of pads. What do you guys recommend?
Old 03-16-08, 01:23 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not going to post any recommendation here as I am interested in the results of this post as well.

I know I am buying Brembo blanks for the front rotors so they won't warp at all. So I'm looking for the best 'pad' that is least likely to warp front rotors myself. (Current pads are very low anyhow).

IIRC , OEM pads were recommended as well. (Everyone agree the following pads are best for least chance of 'not warping' some new Brembo blank rotors?) -- Also Ls4Hundred this is probably a good bet of a pad choice for the fronts.. backs are in there as well.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=17940&all=Y
Old 03-16-08, 01:25 PM
leavehard
Rookie

For 90% of the driver's of these cars, original equipment is the way to go. A little pricey, but worth every dime IMO. Just changed mine out 2 days ago. Less than an hour start to finish... and I'm not exactly a whizz with a wrench.
Old 03-16-08, 02:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not sure on whats available for the 1st gen but akebono pro-act ceramics are great replacements with good bite and less dust, the OEMs are pretty decent but dusty.
Old 03-16-08, 06:09 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am using ceramaics and having warping problems with the stock rotors I turn the rotors and within 10,000 miles they are warping. The ceramaic pads give stoping power much better than the orignal pads. I am going to take Neofats suggestion and go with Brembo rotors and see if I can get away from the warping problem.
Old 03-16-08, 10:17 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

My Brembo suggestion came from Pure driftor -- I just haven't ordered the rotors and pads yet. I know what rotors I am getting -- Pads I *think* are to be the ones I linked.

That right PD? The Sewell OEM pads the best to prevent warpage? I don't like dust, but I can handle it more than warping rotors.

Leavehard: I am going to be changing rotors and pads on the front only soon. You say you did pads in an hour, and you are no expert. -- Were you able to get just pads and use your existing shims/sensors and OEM parts without having to buy new 'fit kits' or 'shims' etc ? Just wanna make sure before I yank my pads out the new ones will go in without a problem.

With just regular tools is it fairly easy? IE: Breaking the bolts and such -- Think I'll need a breaker bar?

Take care,
Old 03-16-08, 10:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lexls has a tut on pads/rotors for the 1st gen, i have one for the 2nd here somewhere.
Old 03-16-08, 10:28 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yup -- I've got the process -- Just asking leavehard about his experience using the old equipment (if he did).

And asking *you*, Puredifter,.. If the pads I linked earlier (the OEM sewell) front pads are the ones I want for the least chance of warpage?
Old 03-16-08, 11:07 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go OEM. You won't regret it.
Old 03-17-08, 12:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Neofate
Yup -- I've got the process -- Just asking leavehard about his experience using the old equipment (if he did).

And asking *you*, Puredifter,.. If the pads I linked earlier (the OEM sewell) front pads are the ones I want for the least chance of warpage?
OEM or akebonos are prolly ur best bet, i run the akebono's on the '00 LS and it bites a TINY bit better than stock but makes a LOT less dust/noise.
Old 03-17-08, 05:50 AM
leavehard
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neofate

Neo... sorry I didn't see your post earlier. You won't belive how easy till you get a look at them. I re-used the old shims and harware. If you like em clean... soak the parts (not the pads, lol) in a little brake cleaner before reassembling. You might also want to have a can of "Quiet Brake" on hand to spray the back of the pads or shims. I'm a fan of oem pads because they're "softer" than most aftermarket pads, and your rotors will thank you later.
Old 03-17-08, 11:26 AM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
OEM or akebonos are prolly ur best bet, i run the akebono's on the '00 LS and it bites a TINY bit better than stock but makes a LOT less dust/noise.
I 2nd the Akebono suggestion. I work for an auto-parts store, and we sell Akebono's Pro-ACT and ISD line of pads, and they get zero complaints from our customers. Akebono is actually the OEM manufacturer for Toyota/Lexus and many many other makes. Buying pads from the dealer is essentially the same thing as buying Akebono Pro-ACTs, only they are significantly more expensive from the stealership.

I would also recommend either leaving the rotors you have if they are not warped, or just buying new rotors if they are. Resurfacing rotors is really just a band-aid, and you can't expect them to last very long when you have them cut. Properly bedding in your pads also goes a LONG way towards having long-lasting brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 03-17-08, 11:26 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 2nd gen cars (I assume my 2000 is 2nd gen?), do you have to remove the upper caliper bolt and drop it down or are there simply drift pins you remove to take out the pads? I bought a "brake kit" from Sewell that has the shims and a bunch of other parts I hope I have sense enough to put in.
Old 03-17-08, 12:01 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running Wagner Premium Thermo Quiet brand ceramics for several years. They have little dust and have a money back guarantee. When they are worn and in need of replacement, I take them back to the parts store where they swap them for free
Old 03-17-08, 12:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by McSwine
On the 2nd gen cars (I assume my 2000 is 2nd gen?), do you have to remove the upper caliper bolt and drop it down or are there simply drift pins you remove to take out the pads? I bought a "brake kit" from Sewell that has the shims and a bunch of other parts I hope I have sense enough to put in.
there is a tutorial to replacing the calipers on the 2nd gen in the UCF2x faq near the top of the LS forum, you have to take the caliper off to replace the pads.

Quick Reply: Brake pad opinions wanted