LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Post up Recent pixs of YOUR car (LS400s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 11:15 PM
jcp2k
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the damping will be all sorts of screwed up.

How so? Please explain I'd like to know how that would be possible? I would think it would be better then sagging springs and losing travel in your shock which screw's up dampening.
Old 09-18-13, 01:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp2k
How so? Please explain I'd like to know how that would be possible? I would think it would be better then sagging springs and losing travel in your shock which screw's up dampening.
because the spring rate for load would be quite off. The fronts are higher springrate than the rear because of the increased weight int he front and to set handling balance.

plus i think you're grossly overestimating the spacing, you can cut the rear shock overall length by maybe ~20% but the rears need to be longer than the fronts.

That being said, if you're going to do this make sure to get some really stiff front springs and have the shocks revalved for them. otherwise the car's going to be super twitchy if you match the front and rear spring rates on such a front-heavy car.

Also, bottoming the shock itself out (by running lots of negative spring preload aka "sag") doesn't change the damping at all (as it's a fixed characteristic), but it does cause reliability issues when the piston completely bottoms out as it can damage itself.

Lastly:
dampening= spraying something with a water hose.
damping= changing (decreasing, strictly speaking) the amplitude of an oscillation.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-18-13 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 01:48 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same rules, 20s can use 10/20 shock bodies, 10s have to use 10 shock bodies.
So if I were to hypothetically use UCF10 coilovers in my "bag-over" setup, then I could technically be able to go lower? (Well, sit lower anyways...)
Old 09-18-13, 05:45 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnitz
More please!
Old 09-19-13, 01:36 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Blood guts. Dope. Nice wheels...
Old 09-19-13, 06:10 PM
jcp2k
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because the spring rate for load would be quite off. The fronts are higher springrate than the rear because of the increased weight int he front and to set handling balance.

plus i think you're grossly overestimating the spacing, you can cut the rear shock overall length by maybe ~20% but the rears need to be longer than the fronts.

That being said, if you're going to do this make sure to get some really stiff front springs and have the shocks revalved for them. otherwise the car's going to be super twitchy if you match the front and rear spring rates on such a front-heavy car.

Also, bottoming the shock itself out (by running lots of negative spring preload aka "sag") doesn't change the damping at all (as it's a fixed characteristic), but it does cause reliability issues when the piston completely bottoms out as it can damage itself.

Lastly:
dampening= spraying something with a water hose.
damping= changing (decreasing, strictly speaking) the amplitude of an oscillation.

Ha no need for a English class dad.. Just cause I got auto corrected by my tablet doesn't mean I'm a idiot... Now back to the topic instead of trying to belittle people on the internet.

I could do everything you listed I suppose... As far as valving and higher spring rates. I am already running a 10kg springs instead of the stock 8kg in the rear. But at that point I think I'd rather get 18's or a whole different set of coils that will go lower with out sag or mod's
Old 09-20-13, 08:04 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks PD, Dranom and VanCity.

I'll post a link to the stancenation feature when it comes out.
Old 09-20-13, 09:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by jcp2k
Ha no need for a English class dad.. Just cause I got auto corrected by my tablet doesn't mean I'm a idiot... Now back to the topic instead of trying to belittle people on the internet.

I could do everything you listed I suppose... As far as valving and higher spring rates. I am already running a 10kg springs instead of the stock 8kg in the rear. But at that point I think I'd rather get 18's or a whole different set of coils that will go lower with out sag or mod's
lol I didn't say anything to "belittle" you, but I did bring up some valid points about your idea to swap the front coils into the rear.

But yeah, some "super-low" style coilovers from BC/PBM/F&F may be a better idea.

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
So if I were to hypothetically use UCF10 coilovers in my "bag-over" setup, then I could technically be able to go lower? (Well, sit lower anyways...)
in comparison to a UCF2x coilover like TeinCS, pretty much. But if you're on bags it won't matter a ridiculous amount.
Old 09-20-13, 10:36 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

lol I didn't say anything to "belittle" you, but I did bring up some valid points about your idea to swap the front coils into the rear.

But yeah, some "super-low" style coilovers from BC/PBM/F&F may be a better idea.

in comparison to a UCF2x coilover like TeinCS, pretty much. But if you're on bags it won't matter a ridiculous amount.
I'm choosing looking between BC Racing, D2 Racing, Megan Racing and Powered by/Parts Shop Max (so many Racing parts lol). Any recommendations one one in particular? I aim to have an enhanced version of the stock ride (I can take corners without the hilarious body roll).
Old 09-20-13, 10:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Unless you want to slam it to the ground, I would recco (in order of preference) :
-Megan LP Street/EZ
-BC Racing
-PBM or Stance. (Tie)
-Function/Form
-D2 Racing (not really though...)
Old 09-20-13, 01:18 PM
flipside12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my d2s
Old 09-20-13, 01:23 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my Megans and they go way low enough for a daily driver. But I wish they had a little stiffer spring rate.
Old 09-20-13, 04:09 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a ton of experience with coil overs for these cars beyond my BC's. I do have a lot of experience with coil overs for a multitude of other applications and I can say that my BC's were worth the money. They are no way close to as comfortable as stock but at the same time no where near as comfortable as say KW V1s or Bilstein PSS9 for other applications which use double springs.

That said, with my coils as low as >> I CAN << go and still be able to get over speedbumps and in and out of my driveway, and set pretty soft on the dampning, the ride is very very nice on smooth roads. Bumps, ruts and even small heaves or shallow pot holes are infinitely more harsh than on my last car which was much lower on V1s.

I need to replace the rest of my suspension parts, mod the fenders a bit more, get it aligned and notch the towers all in prep for air...
Old 09-20-13, 05:46 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Unless you want to slam it to the ground, I would recco (in order of preference) :
-Megan LP Street/EZ
-BC Racing
-PBM or Stance. (Tie)
-Function/Form
-D2 Racing (not really though...)
Ah, awesome! I was actually highly considering the EZs (nice price, rubber mounts [supposedly quieter than pillow] and relatively soft). So this order also doubles as which coilovers would best respond to an air bag conversion? (I'm piecing together my bag-over setup so I know EXACTLY what to get, per my expectations)

Last edited by Sc0pe; 09-21-13 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 10:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the LP/EZ have the same thread pattern, so the same mounts should work for both (bag mounts)

Quick Reply: Post up Recent pixs of YOUR car (LS400s)